Snapped top kit while playing a fish/technique

SShark

Today I caught a 12lb carp but snapped the top section of the pole in doing so - thankfully a nearby angler netted the fish otherwise not sure how I'd have got it in holding what was about as useful as a broken twig!

Is this likely to be just amateurish playing of fish on my part, which would be unsurprising as I'm not used to fish of this size and have recently returned to fishing after a 20 year gap? I thought the set up was well balanced - it's a Middy White Knuckle Thriller pole which is meanto to be a "bagging/margin" style pole, Matrix Slik 14-16 and 6lb mainline to 5lb hooklength which is pretty much what's recommended for the elastic.

I was only maybe using 3 or 4 sections as was fishing very close in, had gone down to the top 2 (maybe too early) and the fish was making another run and the top section just snapped where it joins the no 2 section. It didn;t seem that the pole was under great pressure but it may well be that I should have done somethign differently - in the heat of the moment I can't really remember what I might have done wrong but maybe I didn;t realise the size of the fish and thought I could bully it.

I have watched YouTube vids of playing fish in the past but the tips just seem to focus on keeping the pole low - is it normal for a pole to snap? Just wondering what to do differently so I don't keep doing it in future which would be an inconvenient and expensive habit.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Are you sure the top 2 were pushed together properly? Those white knuckle poles are pretty strong, as for technique, I've shipped back too quick during matches and just held on with the topkit nose in the water, if something gives it's normally the line.
Maybe the topkit had a fault or damage, I think playing the fish out a bit more before you break down to the top 2 will help but it still seems odd to break the kit.

SShark

It's possible the top 2 weren't pushed together properly I guess - though I'll never know. I feel the same that I'm surprised the tip broke as would expect the line to go first though it's only recently that I've started catching carp on the pole so I'm always concerned I'm doing it wrong.

Topkit shouldn't have been damaged unless it had a fault from the supplier - I've only recently bought it/started fishing again so have used it maybe twice before

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Are you sure the top 2 were pushed together properly? Those white knuckle poles are pretty strong, as for technique, I've shipped back too quick during matches and just held on with the topkit nose in the water, if something gives it's normally the line.
Maybe the topkit had a fault or damage, I think playing the fish out a bit more before you break down to the top 2 will help but it still seems odd to break the kit.
^as above

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Contact Middy and explain mate, they may be sympathetic. I've had carp to low double figures on my Tricast Maximus and played them on the top kit with no problem.
Good luck

tedstriker

Site Supporter
I snapped a map top kit last year with a carp due to trying to stop it getting into reeds by giving it too much welly and wrong angle so it folded up on itself

JRW

Site Supporter
I've had a few Daiwa power top 2's snap at the joint while netting carp and I didn't think I was applying any undue pressure. The power top kits supplied with the the Airity only have a 32-35mm overlap at the joint. The team diawa ZR margin pole is no better. I think this is way too short but the only thing I have to compare it with is some universal top kits which are 75-85mm. What's the overlap on the white knuckle?

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I have the Daiwa Interlastic topkits that were supplied with my pole and never had problems, as for universal topkits I would say the longer overwrap is to allow for cutting back to fit.
I use a PI spot on kup kit on the Daiwa because it is a lot stronger and stiffer than than the tourney cupping kit supplied with the pole, I cut that back for a better fit.

JRW

Site Supporter
The overlap between 1 and 2 where the problem lies is always a good fit and never needs to be cut back. The thick end of the No.2 may have to be cut back to fit onto the No.4 of which ever pole you have.

JRW

Site Supporter
I was on about universal kits. Let me try to explain it a bit better

My universal top 2 power kits have an 85mm overlap at the joint between the 1 and 2 sections . The Daiwa top 2 power kits only have an overlap of 35mm between the 1 and 2 which makes that joint weak. The Daiwa top 2's were breaking right on the 1-2 joint. The longer overlap at the 1-2 joint on the universal kits is not there for cutting back. Any cutting back required would be done at the other end of the No.2 section to join the No.4 section on your pole.

I'm still thinking the Daiwa kits have a weak point because of the short overlap at the 1-2 joint. I was hoping somebody would pitch in and tell me what the overlap is between the 1 and 2 power kits on some other poles.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter

My universal top 2 power kits have an 85mm overlap at the joint between the 1 and 2 sections . The Daiwa top 2 power kits only have an overlap of 35mm between the 1 and 2 which makes that joint weak. The Daiwa top 2's were breaking right on the 1-2 joint. The longer overlap at the 1-2 joint on the universal kits is not there for cutting back. Any cutting back required would be done at the other end of the No.2 section to join the No.4 section on your pole.

I'm still thinking the Daiwa kits have a weak point because of the short overlap at the 1-2 joint. I was hoping somebody would pitch in and tell me what the overlap is between the 1 and 2 power kits on some other poles.
I might be being stupid here but an overlap of only 35mm will definitely be a weakspot. Are you sure that the 1 and 2 shouldn't be telescopic?

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
@JRW what pole do you have ?
The topkits off a ZR are different to topkits off UK made topkits,
We know it's the lower end of the section on universal kits that should be cut back.
The top two on a power kit for arity or UK made Daiwa are put over joints.no need for any end to be cut back if going on a UK made Daiwa pole. I have never had any problems with mine and had carp of around 15lb using them

JRW

Site Supporter
I have the TDZR 10m margin pole that came with three take apart power top 2's now all broken. These are cheap enough to replace but I didn't think they were strong enough so I'm using some universal top kits I acquired years ago. I can't measure the overlap now but I know it was very short. Never broken any of the universals.

I also have a tourney pro XLS which I bought pole only and use the top kits off an Airity that I used to have. The four power top 2's are take apart with a 35mm overlap at the 1-2 joint. I also bought an additional BBPK 2/1 power kit which also has 35mm overlap.

The first 2 broke when my brother was using my gear. I put this down to him being over zealous and clumsy. Then it happened to me - twice. I've also landed plenty of double figure carp with these kits using 16 solid elastic.

I still think they should have just another 10 -15mm overlap at the joint and it wouldn't happen.

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter

Just measured the overlap on the power top kits of two of my poles. The ones on my X-400 are 65mm and on my Edge Monster they're 75mm.

35mm seems way too short, especially for power tops!

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just measured the overlap on the power top kits of two of my poles. The ones on my X-400 are 65mm and on my Edge Monster they're 75mm.

35mm seems way too short, especially for power tops!
Daiwa kits are like that, I used Daiwa for 12 years before swapping to Browning this year, never broke a kit on a fish.

Total

Site Supporter
Daiwa kits are like that, I used Daiwa for 12 years before swapping to Browning this year, never broke a kit on a fish.
Didn't you do a top kit at Viaduct(?) on a fish that took you under a pallet?:unsure::whistle:

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Didn't you do a top kit at Viaduct(?) on a fish that took you under a pallet?:unsure::whistle:
I’ll give you that one, but that was totally irrelevant to the length of the overlap, any topkit would have gone the same way, I don’t really class that as when playing a fish in normal circumstances.

Total

Site Supporter
I’ll give you that one, but that was totally irrelevant to the length of the overlap, any topkit would have gone the same way......
I appreciate the above Chris, but my previous post was certainly relevant to the part of your post I posted.;)....On some of the top kits I've broken while attached to fish it certainly wasn't through lack of my experience....:giggle:.....Sometimes the 'law of sod' dictates the final outcome despite the best laid plans! :ROFLMAO:

Team KDB

Today I caught a 12lb carp but snapped the top section of the pole in doing so - thankfully a nearby angler netted the fish otherwise not sure how I'd have got it in holding what was about as useful as a broken twig!

Is this likely to be just amateurish playing of fish on my part, which would be unsurprising as I'm not used to fish of this size and have recently returned to fishing after a 20 year gap? I thought the set up was well balanced - it's a Middy White Knuckle Thriller pole which is meanto to be a "bagging/margin" style pole, Matrix Slik 14-16 and 6lb mainline to 5lb hooklength which is pretty much what's recommended for the elastic.

I was only maybe using 3 or 4 sections as was fishing very close in, had gone down to the top 2 (maybe too early) and the fish was making another run and the top section just snapped where it joins the no 2 section. It didn;t seem that the pole was under great pressure but it may well be that I should have done somethign differently - in the heat of the moment I can't really remember what I might have done wrong but maybe I didn;t realise the size of the fish and thought I could bully it.

I have watched YouTube vids of playing fish in the past but the tips just seem to focus on keeping the pole low - is it normal for a pole to snap? Just wondering what to do differently so I don't keep doing it in future which would be an inconvenient and expensive habit.
I had everything identical to you and had them upto 17lb in the margin,so I know you can give it some stick,maybe a faulty section 🤷‍♂️ I think @ukzero1 has/had the same pole.