smogies

Status
Not open for further replies.

norm

you may have wonderd why mookie called him self a smoggie in a previous thread

Smog.(monster)

A fairly new name, referring to anyone living in Middlesbrough. This is associated with the pollution generated by the large concentration of industry in the Teeside area. The definition of Yorkshiremen, Tykes, has also very rarely been used, as Middlesbrough prior to the early 1970's, used to be within the boundaries of Yorkshire. Middlesbrough supporters like to refer to themselves as the 'Boro' and 'Smog' is a term used by other people living in the North East, rather than by people living in Middlesbrough itself. Their football strip colours are red with white shorts, mascot 'Roary the Lion'. Formerly based at Ayersome Park, their home ground is now the Riverside Stadium on the banks of the Tees.

it isn`t the size of the tiddler that counts

mookie

mookie
Alright Norm theres only one thing to say ......

COME ON THE BORO IN 2002/ 03

Cheers mate

MOOK......SEE YE FOR ROUND TWO.....

Simon R

Site Supporter
I don't mind being referred to as a Smoggie - it could be worse, I could be a Monkey-Hanger from Hartlepool icon_smile_big.gif

By the way Mookie - which stretch were you fishing at Croft?
I'm hoping to get on Thornaby's water after work on Friday

Simon

norm

just for you simon R

6) Monkey Hanger.

Person born in the town of Hartlepool. Allegedly, during the Napoleonic wars, a French ship called the Chasse Maree was wrecked on the coast at Hartlepool. There were no survivors, with the exception of a lone monkey, wearing a French uniform (dressed as such to amuse those on ship). The monkey was found by some locals and questioned in a beach based trial. Obviously, the monkey could not answer. The locals concluded the monkey to be a French spy, as the locals did not know what a Frenchman looked like. The poor animal was thus sentenced to death and hung from the mast of a fishing boat. To this day, this has remained a source of embarrassment for people living in Hartlepool and it is best not to call anyone from Hartlepool by this name, as some regard it as a term of offence.

Hartlepool United have also been labelled with this title, so much so that they've turned the joke around and now have a mascot called 'H'Angus the Monkey'. Their football strip colours are light blue and white stripes and their home ground is Victoria Park (formerly named Victoria Road).

Information taken from the Sunday Sun newspaper, January 30th 2000. Copyright Newcastle Chronicle and Journal Ltd.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Norm,

Didn't the 'Mascot' stand for election as Mayor of Hartlepool as a bit of an objection to the other candidates - and Won ?

Dave

norm

dont know about that one mate
but i think we better leave it at thaticon_smile_wink.gif

mookie

mookie
Alright Simon ......fellow smogglet good on ye.....right me an Norm < Mr l know the North East> were fishing the free stretch opposite the Comet pub...

If the river was just a few more inches nearer normal level me an Norm would av bagged up....missed lots of bites....

Going to the Tees on friday night for a night Session...Broken scar in Darlington.....chub an barbel heaven at night.....just hope the rain thats forecast does not become torrents.....
the rain.....

Cheers mate an tight lines to you.....

Where bout do you live l live in Darlington.......

MOOK

Simon R

Site Supporter
Hi Mookie

I'm actually in the heart of 'Smoggieland' in Middlesbrough itself, a stones-throw from Newport Bridge.

I'm just waiting for Norms definition of a Mackem now icon_smile_wink.gif

And Dave you're right H'Angus did win the mayoral election in Hartlepool, at which point he hung up his monkey-suit. The football club are currently advertising for a replacement, know anybody who could fit the bill? icon_smile_big.gif

Tight Lines to you all

Simon

norm

your wish is my comand
Mackem.

Person born within site of the Wear. Definitions vary as follows, with the first definition being considered the most important:

a) Anyone born within the boundaries of the original town of Sunderland, not including Washington and Houghton - le - Spring added later as parts of the City of Sunderland.

b) Anyone born within the boundaries of the Borough or the City of Sunderland (Sunderland became a city in 1992), including Washington and Houghton-le-Spring.

c) Anyone born within the boundaries of the city, plus Seaham, Murton, Easington and other places defined as being in the old East Durham Coalfields.

d) Anyone born within site of the Wear, from the source up at Wearhead to the mouth of the river at Monkwearmouth. This therefore includes places such as Durham, Bishop Auckland, Wolsingham and Stanhope. Definitions of 'Mackem' mostly don't include these latter areas.

The term is derived from Mack'em and Tack'em, dating from the early ship building industry (i.e. the people on Wearside 'mak[e] them' and other people 'tak[e] them') and started off as an insult to the people of Sunderland by the Geordies. In recent years, however, the people of Sunderland have taken the name to be part of their identity as Wearsiders.

mookie

mookie
icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif Alright Simon l lived in the Boro for 25 years till l had to move here for work....COUNCIL GARDENER>.....The Tees is five mins away......cant wait till Friday nite.....clonking bites mate at Broken scar. .real rod off the rest jobs...

If you fancy a bash anytime let me know, theres a lack of company here to go with......

Cheers

Mook.....Founder of B.L.C.F.L campaign...Ban license cheats for life...and donate there tackle to maggotdrowners fishins....

Status
Not open for further replies.