Smelliest bit of kit….

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Expanding on the bait box thread, I guess most of us have left a few worms in a box and they can smell pretty putrid, pellets might seem to be fairly clean, but if they get damp and are left a few weeks , they smell pretty rank, but……. Saturday I dragged an old Browning Border Marauder 6m margin pole out of the loft, re-elasticated it ( topkit is stored outside of the pole).

Yesterday I put the pole up, just in case I could catch well in the margin, well, I don’t think I have used that pole for at least 6 years and as it came out, section by section, I realised it was covered in the most foul smelling black slime I have ever seen/smelt. Gawd knows what it was, meat, paste, no idea, I didn’t even want to use my towel to clean it off so used dock leaves. Even after more than 7 hours in the fresh air it was still stinking, might have to put it in the garden for a week, before dosing it with disinfectant, if that doesn’t work, it might be bin time!

Last edited:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
While in the store this after, I found some old ex army goretex that had about europes full supply of pencillin for next year growing on them, they went straight in the bin

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve got a rapala tackle bag pretty similar to the below that I take on my sea fishing trips abroad and after every holiday it smells horrific from being used with slimey, sweaty and baity hands in often hot sun and high humidity. Have to double bag it in carrier bags before I put it back in my suitcase then when I get it home I have to empty it and scrub it with soapy water. Wouldn’t say it ever comes up smelling of roses but it at least dulls the bad odours by mixing them with a soapy odour. Still at least single bag it before it goes in my suitcase for the next trip though!

1620682206838.jpeg

CarpCatcher86

I would say my pellet wetter, just the mesh bag not the eva bowl.
After every session I soak it in hot water and washing up liquid, then scrub it in hot water while rinsing it.
No matter how many times it has been washed before being left to dry out in the sun, I still can't get the after smell of pellets off it.
No matter what I do it still stinks far worse than any of my nets.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
This thread has reminded me that I’ve left some paprika marinated spam in a Tupperware tub in my seat box which is still in the car from last night (as is the carp-stinking landing net!) Good job the boss is going to work on her bike this morning 😳

davepellet

Dread to think what the smelliest bit of some of your lots kit is after having an insight to what you all munch on

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Bottom of my holdall can get a bit 'wiffy' at times. Luckily it has a hard plastic tray and is easily wiped out.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I once opened my carryall after not being fishing for a few weeks to be greeted my the most horrific smell, taking everything out at arms length I found the remains of some small rodent in the bottom of the bag, nothing more than bones and mush but the smell was awful and no matter how many times I washed the carryall and my lightweight water proofs I could not get rid of it so they ended up in the bin. I can only assume that something crawled into my carryall last time out as there were no holes in it that it could have got in by and I just packed my empty bait boxes and other bits and pieces in and zipped it up with the said animal still inside

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I once opened my carryall after not being fishing for a few weeks to be greeted my the most horrific smell, taking everything out at arms length I found the remains of some small rodent in the bottom of the bag, nothing more than bones and mush but the smell was awful and no matter how many times I washed the carryall and my lightweight water proofs I could not get rid of it so they ended up in the bin. I can only assume that something crawled into my carryall last time out as there were no holes in it that it could have got in by and I just packed my empty bait boxes and other bits and pieces in and zipped it up with the said animal still inside
Our club ponds have had a sudden rat explosion. They're huge some of them & bold as brass. Have to be careful what you're leaving on the ground.

looksfishy

Bags of casters that turn to slime spring to mind.

I went and bought 2 gallons of bait for our weekend away last week from the maggot farm. It smelt pretty bad there. The guy offered me a free kitten with the bait.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
My old holdall had 15 years' worth of accumulated crud in the bottom of it, about 2cm deep.
I fondly regarded it as 'patina', evidence that the holdall was genuine, and had been used as it should be.
But as in the early seas on Earth, primitive life had arisen in its depths.

One warm day, I dug out my festering old baseball cap from the holdall, to keep the bright sun out of my eyes.
As usual, it required a bit of a dust-off, being covered with what i took to be groundbait.
Ten minutes later, I scratched at an itch on my neck, thought nothing of it.
Then there was a crawling sensation on my shoulders, my chest and my back.
This required investigation.

The cap was covered in tiny white mites. As was everything in the holdall. As was I.

Home and showered, with all my clothing in the washing machine, I attacked the holdall with a hosepipe.
Things to strike terror in a man's soul emerged from that primaeval soup.
And the stench was staggering. :vomiton: