Smart TV

stikflote

Site Supporter
I absolutely fff hate it, tried for around an hour to get the tv to work ,
Yes it does work but its coming up on TV+ ,i tried and tried to get to just TV
i going to throw the sodding remote thru middle of it.

N ow you know why i dont watch TV ,.when i do want to watch it wont ff work.
Itried to watch it on PC BBC IPlayer it then said you must register so you can sign in,

did that now its telling me i need a licence why so no Football, watched in this house today
Ireally want swear but i dont think Red Leader would likeit I'm really fuming
so i.ll go and kick the dog but then i csant win cos dog would bite me

Trogg

the bouncer
Site Supporter
Tv+ whats that??

I'm assuming you used the 'source' button to put it on freeview?

stikflote

Site Supporter
my source button did not take it to freeview,

got my neighbour to sort it today ,had to go on unknown HDIM it then reverted back to normal TV
but i missed the match

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter

got my neighbour to sort it today ,had to go on unknown HDIM it then reverted back to normal TV
but i missed the match
Dont worry there is another match on Wednesday

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Some TV operating systems are more intuitive than others. However, you and modern tech don't seem to get on particularly well. I know us blokes are generally strangers to instructions, but reading them is becoming increasingly necessary. The biggest irritation these days is that many items only come with quick start guides. You have to go online to download/read the full instruction manuals.

Trogg

the bouncer
Site Supporter

but i missed the match
No i meant source to TV,

My old Hitachi remote went wrong and the source button wouldn't work so i'd turn off the cable box, fire stick, etc then switch the telly on and switch on whichever i wanted to watch and it would automatically turn over to that input.

stikflote

Site Supporter
No i don t get on with modern tech but i get on with modern tech on my motobikes and my car
the car does not come with a manual , but im lost on the TV and PC,
which strangely since ive bought a pc ,i find i was better with the I Mac,
keith

carphauler

You've not stated what brand of TV it is, i take it it's a modern smart TV with free view built in so you need to switch it to free view and do a channel search to watch TV?

stikflote

Site Supporter
Its a Samsung smart TV, and no i didnt need to to switch it to Freeview, ,some how i had it set on channel TVplus

and coudnt get off it. T
The answer was to swich it off then when the windows came on i had to click on the pop up
that said Unknown HDIM it then came on to normal tv

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Its a Samsung smart TV, and no i didnt need to to switch it to Freeview, ,some how i had it set on channel TVplus

and coudnt get off it. T
The answer was to swich it off then when the windows came on i had to click on the pop up
that said Unknown HDIM it then came on to normal tv
I have a Samsung and that still sounds a bit off to me. As it's worked, it might suggest that you have an older bit of equipment plugged into an HDMI port. Newer equipment is usually recognised and identified automatically. It also suggests that whatever is plugged into the HDMI port has its' own tuner. My similar unknown HDMI source is an older Panasonic Freeview hard drive recorder. The TV remote will change the channel on this device despite it not being automatically recognised. It's only when the EPG comes up that you realise you aren't watching the TV's inbuilt tuner. However, if you aren't familiar with the Samsung EPG, you'd probably never know.

Unless someone has messed about with your menu set up on the TV, there should be two different "TV" logos alongside Netflix, Prime video, BBC iPlayer etc. One is navy blue with Samsung TV Plus and a logo. The second is sky blue with Live TV Terrestrial and a TV logo. The latter is the one you need to select for terrestrial digital broadcasts directly through your TV's own tuner.

stikflote

Site Supporter
Iagree on the navy blue for Samsung TV Plus ,
its got to be down to me ,not knowing what im doing ,Technology is moving along very fast indeed
its very hard keep up with it ,i cant even set date on my dash cam,.

None of it is simple to me

bluemack

Site Supporter
Iagree on the navy blue for Samsung TV Plus ,
its got to be down to me ,not knowing what im doing ,Technology is moving along very fast indeed
its very hard keep up with it ,i cant even set date on my dash cam,.

None of it is simple to me
You are not on your own mate,i,m clueless with technology as well.(n)

piscatorial

I have a Samsung .....
@Sam Vimes , could you possibly try and solve a couple of questions for me regarding Samsung TVs.
1st problem - mine
When I had my new Samsung TV, I connected my Virgin TIVO box to the HDMI socket. TV works fine.
Decided to use the Universal Remote setting. Went through the setup procedure, got it all setup, remote control changed channels, volume etc and got the "Virgin TV" Logo. After a few days the remote stopped working the TV except for the volume.
A few months have passed since this happened and today I thought I'd have a go at setting up the Universal Remote again.
Went through the setup procedure again, this time it fails to recognise the Virgin Box when going through the Channel Button Test, so I select "Yes" anyway, and now I get a "BT TV" Logo. TV still works fine so no real problem.

I could always try a factory reset but loathe to do this as will have to set everthing up again.

2nd problem is for my Father in Law who has just purchased a new Samsung TV.
He's hard of hearing and with his old TV he used Sennheiser RS120II Wireless Headphones. These have a 3.5mm jack pin which connected to the TV.
The new TV only has USB ports.
Do you know if I purchased a USB to 3.5mm Jack adaptor and plugged the earphones to the new TV with this adaptor they would work.
Failing that looks like a new pair of Bluetooth ones.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
@Sam Vimes , could you possibly try and solve a couple of questions for me regarding Samsung TVs.
1st problem - mine
When I had my new Samsung TV, I connected my Virgin TIVO box to the HDMI socket. TV works fine.
Decided to use the Universal Remote setting. Went through the setup procedure, got it all setup, remote control changed channels, volume etc and got the "Virgin TV" Logo. After a few days the remote stopped working the TV except for the volume.
A few months have passed since this happened and today I thought I'd have a go at setting up the Universal Remote again.
Went through the setup procedure again, this time it fails to recognise the Virgin Box when going through the Channel Button Test, so I select "Yes" anyway, and now I get a "BT TV" Logo. TV still works fine so no real problem.

I could always try a factory reset but loathe to do this as will have to set everthing up again.
I can't help in any way on this one. I'm not even aware of the Universal Remote setting.

Do you know if I purchased a USB to 3.5mm Jack adaptor and plugged the earphones to the new TV with this adaptor they would work.
Having never tried such a set up, I don't know for sure. Do you know for sure that the USB ports on the TV actually output audio? I had always assumed that they were for connection memory sticks and external hard drives. Modern TVs tend to be increasingly limited in how audio devices can be connected. They are tending to junk analogue connections in favour of HDMI and Bluetooth. If you are lucky, it might have a fibre optic audio output. I can't remember the last time I saw a TV with RCA outputs.

Having looked at the specs for the Senn RS120IIs, I'd be trying a cheap USB to 3.5mm adaptor. For about a fiver, it's got to be worth a shot. However, for more money, there are HDMI interface boxes that allow audio to be extracted on a 3.5mm jack socket. It may work if you use the ARC (Audio Return Channel) HDMI that would normally be used to connect to a sound bar or AV amplifier.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I can't help in any way on this one. I'm not even aware of the Universal Remote setting.

Having never tried such a set up, I don't know for sure. Do you know for sure that the USB ports on the TV actually output audio? I had always assumed that they were for connection memory sticks and external hard drives. Modern TVs tend to be increasingly limited in how audio devices can be connected. They are tending to junk analogue connections in favour of HDMI and Bluetooth. If you are lucky, it might have a fibre optic audio output. I can't remember the last time I saw a TV with RCA outputs.

Having looked at the specs for the Senn RS120IIs, I'd be trying a cheap USB to 3.5mm adaptor. For about a fiver, it's got to be worth a shot. However, for more money, there are HDMI interface boxes that allow audio to be extracted on a 3.5mm jack socket. It may work if you use the ARC (Audio Return Channel) HDMI that would normally be used to connect to a sound bar or AV amplifier.
Check if TV transmits bluetooth.
And which bluetooth format as its a mine field but most likely to be aptx.
Then purchase headphones that use same format.
Beware of Sony as they use LDAC (their own format).

If it does not send signal you can run a bluetooth transmitter out of optical output.

Uniersal remotes 💩

piscatorial

No problem with my 1st question I can live with it, just annoying that it worked and now it doesn't.

Regarding the USB ports that was my thoughts too.

The adaptor route is what I was going to try for him as you say only cost about a fiver. I'll look in to the HDMI option first though as this seems to be the better solution.

Cheers (y)

piscatorial

Check if TV transmits bluetooth.
And which bluetooth format as its a mine field but most likely to be aptx.
Then purchase headphones that use same format.
Beware of Sony as they use LDAC (their own format).

If it does not send signal you can run a bluetooth transmitter out of optical output.

Uniersal remotes 💩
Yes the TV transmits Bluetooth, thats my next go to option if the adaptor route fails.

Cheers (y)