Smart TV recommendations

Chervil

Site Supporter
After looking at some smart TVs in John Lewis, we realised that our TV is looking a bit dated. I have done some research and must admit they all look much the same to me. Does anyone have any recommendations, to buy or avoid? Not looking at anything huge, about 47".

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
apparently our toshiba is a smart tv

but this user isnt, havent got a clue how to use most of the applications and the wench keeps that arcane knowledge to herself !

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
We have a Toshiba 49" smart TV, comes with internet, netflix etc. Got ours from Tesco.

@mickthechippy go online and download the manual!!!!

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
Samsung is seem as having the best interface. I have one and have just bought another.

If you know anyone who is a uni or A level student see if you can use their unidays account to access the samsung student offers. 65" Q70r TV normally £1200 is £899 on there and you get a free sound bar worth £300

feldri

Site Supporter
We have a Toshiba 49" smart TV, comes with internet, netflix etc. Got ours from Tesco.

I've got a Toshiba, but it isn't a smart one. It's got a 30" screen and it's the same distance front to back and weighs a ton. Must be 30 years old but still works ok. Will replace when it eventually packs up but will not be holding my breath. :D

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter

nah, i'll leave the posh in the front room TV to her and just stick with my little 20 inch thingy in the back room

it does me, its got around 80 channels of rubbish on it

DFL

Site Supporter
having just exchanged our three year old LG Oled for a new Samsung Q90R I would recommend staying away from Oled technology as they are prone to screen burn which none of the manufacturers will cover under warranty. Fortunately I dealt with the excellent Richer Sounds and after some lengthy communications and the threat of a small claims court case they agreed to an exchange with a few quid added as I upgraded from a 55 to 65 inch tv.

As with most things your choice comes down to budget, I was looking around PCWorld last week and was surprised at how cheap you can pick up a decent telly nowadays.

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
I was very happy with my 50" Samsung smart TV until its screen went, just 8 months after the 5 year guarantee ran out!
After all the research, Which Magazine etc, I got an LG 50um 7500pla from Richer Sounds @ £469.
It came with a 6 year g/tee. Magnificant picture with lots of options, and particularly excellent sound quality, so much so that I prefer its own internal speakers to feeding its sound out through my BOSE sound system. Performance wise, it beats my previous Samsung which cost £900+
The only negative is that it didn't come with an instructions manual. That's a biggie, for unless you're tech savvy it's a nightmare. When I raised this with LG they say all the instructions are available on-screen. They then sent a photocopied "kind of" manual which isn't much use.
I eventually got the hang of it, but while it is excellent, be aware of the lack of instructions.

DFL

Site Supporter
^^^^^^ most manuals are available to download online.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
A few year ago we were in the local Club and one of the lads a bit of a techy got summat on his phone that could turn the telly over in the Tap room :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: the bloke behind the bar with the remote was getting a right Ballacking until he gave it to one of the lads trying to watch the racing and it turned over again :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I prefer Samsung having had/got a few other makes.
Plus if you have a Samsung phone you'll find the two are compatible which comes in handy when you want to look at photos on your phone on the big screen, and such like.

One thing though is look for deals including soundbars. Most flat screen TV's have rubbish speakers and a soundbar makes all the difference.
We've got the Samsung soundbar and subwoofer and can't fault it

Total

Site Supporter
A few year ago we were in the local Club and one of the lads a bit of a techy got summat on his phone that could turn the telly over in the Tap room :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: the bloke behind the bar with the remote was getting a right Ballacking until he gave it to one of the lads trying to watch the racing and it turned over again :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

^^ :giggle:.......Bet it was you! ;):ROFLMAO:

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
LG OLED is awesome but prone to image retention. Missus has fooked ours watching GMTV or whatever it's called every morning and burned the logo into the bottom left corner.

Samsung QLED is the best alternative in a traditional LCD panel.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was very happy with my 50" Samsung smart TV until its screen went, just 8 months after the 5 year guarantee ran out!
After all the research, Which Magazine etc, I got an LG 50um 7500pla from Richer Sounds @ £469.
It came with a 6 year g/tee. Magnificant picture with lots of options, and particularly excellent sound quality, so much so that I prefer its own internal speakers to feeding its sound out through my BOSE sound system. Performance wise, it beats my previous Samsung which cost £900+
The only negative is that it didn't come with an instructions manual. That's a biggie, for unless you're tech savvy it's a nightmare. When I raised this with LG they say all the instructions are available on-screen. They then sent a photocopied "kind of" manual which isn't much use.
I eventually got the hang of it, but while it is excellent, be aware of the lack of instructions.
You can download a manual from this link.