Smallest pole floats?!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
IMG_2393 (Edited).JPG

My float is smaller than your float, nah nah nah.

That .1 wire tipped Desque was a right barstool to shot up right. Thank f for Lipsal.
Yeah lol one tiny shot can make or break it sinking or not... always used to carry bristle grease with me.

davepellet

Used to have a few 4x8 Drennan Squatt's (but I think they were more a light purple paint job rather than the varnished balsa ones shown above) that I had set up on 0.08 direct to size 20 B510's, used to use them for fishing small pieces of punched bread for crucians at Newbiggin Pond

lightest I've got now are some home made slender bodied floats that shot up slightly lighter than a 4x10, but I have these set up on 0.12 direct to 18 Silverfish Pellets... I use these for crucians too but I've frequently landed 4lb tench & carp up to 6lb on these rigs

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Can't remember when I bought those Drennan Squats but it would have been 20 odd years ago. I say 'those' Drennan Squats but I only have a couple of them, my floats from then are a hodgepodge of patterns and makes as I used to get £10 a week to spend on tackle and bait and so that meant a couple of pole floats at a time at most. Only ever used them on a canal so it's interesting to hear the different uses.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Drennan Caster floats - these good for far bank caster or F1 shallow. 0.05g.

2021-03-28 21.08.28.jpg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Another long time favourite Caster float from the vaults - Preston Tyson 0.03g

2021-03-28 21.37.04.jpg

baggy

Mark Saunders
I’ve got some original 4x8 Preston Chianti’s (brown balsa bodies) and 3x8 Milo Pinto’s. They still get used for very shallow fishing with caster

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
IMG_2393 (Edited).JPG

That .1 wire tipped Desque was a right barstool to shot up right. Thank f for Lipsal.
Those Deque floats for worm and joker Arch .... I’ve spent more time watching the bristle under the water than on the surface and that was back when I could see a No 13 shot. 🤣🤣

baggy

Mark Saunders
IMG_2393 (Edited).JPG

Nice Milo papyrus there Arch, I can’t it’s survived. Brilliant floats but so delicate, I can’t tell you how many I accidentally crushed or broke the outer lining

Arch

Site Supporter
Still got a few rigged up. They were called Mirandas I think.

Arch

Site Supporter
Those Deque floats for worm and joker Arch .... I’ve spent more time watching the bristle under the water than on the surface and that was back when I could see a No 13 shot. 🤣🤣
Yes. Can't for the life of me remember their name though. :unsure:

baggy

Mark Saunders
Still got a few rigged up. They were called Mirandas I think.
Miranda’s were a teardrop shape with a cane tip and wire stem, I had loads of them when I fished for Milo. I can’t remember the names of the papyrus floats

Arch

Site Supporter
Miranda’s were a teardrop shape with a cane tip and wire stem, I had loads of them when I fished for Milo. I can’t remember the names of the papyrus floats
NEW8177-800x800.png

This. I've still got some of those as well.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Those take me back to proper canal fishing Zerkalo. Now I fish 10’ deep canals where I need 1 to 3g floats. 🙄
At least the A&C (think that's the canal you mean?) has some fish in it! 😁 I fished canal matches for a few years and never caught on the caster line. It was all Gudgeon and bits for 3lb weights. 😁

baggy

Mark Saunders
NEW8177-800x800.png

This. I've still got some of those as well.
Thats the boy, I still have a few. Milo Pinot’s were the Milo anglers float of choice as it was extremely versatile, you could use it when blasting squatts on a canal, fishing casters/maggots on lakes and in the bigger sizes on slow rivers. it was a slim rugby ball shape with a fibre bristle and a carbon stem. I got Phil Reynolds to make me some to the same spec.

3CF9F4DD-1BB6-4266-B08F-855785ABD874.jpeg

Arch

Site Supporter
I can't see floats like that anymore, that's why my main bait nowadays is a 15mm Boilie.