Smallest pole floats?!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I just found some old rigs of mine, still on some little winders.

2021-03-28 17.15.29.jpg

It actually looks quite big close up but they are tiny! I can just about read the writing on it and I'm sure it says 4x8. Does this sound right for a small float?

2021-03-28 17.15.45.jpg

I am LMAO that is says 0.9 mainline. My 14 year old self made the same mistakes I make as a 36 year old. And looking at the date, 12/99, these are rigs my 14 year old self made up. I'm quite impressed when I take the rig off the winder. It has 4 small shot strung out shirt button. And loops that are smaller than what I can tie now. The line still seems fine 21 years later as it's been kept in a seatbox, so if I had a use for them I'd still use them.

I can't remember ever using a float this light. Anyone ever use them and am I right that it's 4x8? They must be designed for far bank canal fishing but you'd do well to see the bristle at that distance. And I've said they were for Gudgeon fishing but I think with a bit of tow on the canal they are more only suitable for fishing squat on the drop?

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
They are most likely marked up as styl weights .... so yes 4x8 is tiny, i never used smaller than 3x10 for far bank rigs.
Yes ... i’d agree that my eyesight has deteriorated in the last 10 years such that i can’t see 0.5 mm bristles at 14m except in perfect conditions. Although that tip looks a bit thicker?
The methods still work on narrow canals ... i used 0.10 mainline and 0.06 hooklength typically.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I use 3 x 8 TBF Cults for shallow fishing with banded/maggot caster , they’re a smaller bristled float than that 💁‍♂️

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Not sure how thick the tip is but the painted bit is about half a centimetre long so it's naturally dotted down. I think the line I would have used would have been Reflo I've been using it for that long! Really brings back memories of when I was much more organised labelling stuff up on a Saturday (rig day) than I am now.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I use 3 x 8 TBF Cults for shallow fishing with banded/maggot caster , they’re a smaller bristled float than that 💁‍♂️
Got any pics of them mate? :) Close up on the photo doesn't seem to do mine justice at just how small it is.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Next to a 4x12 Drennan Squatt which I would have been more likely to use for far bank squat fishing.

2021-03-28 19.51.37.jpg

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Next to a 4x12 Drennan Squatt which I would have been more likely to use for far bank squat fishing.

2021-03-28 19.51.37.jpg
Nah .... 5x12 would be bottom of the shelf, 3x12 top of shelf and 3x10 for up the rat holes! Must say that i never fished a prolific “gudgeon cut” like Mark Downes used to write about ... where you might use a 1g rig on the whip!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I seem to remember about 0.5g was my choice of whip float. I have a dwindled stock of the floats I used back then. If I had to guess the bristle diameter I'd say 0.5mm, they're just thicker than Drennan Squatt bristles, which in turn are thicker than some Sensas Canal floats I have. Luckily @mickthechippy sent me a load of canal floats I've been sorting through to do my rigs tomorrow morning.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Bit different to the days of pole floats with wire bristles isn’t it? I struggle to see those at further than 3 or 4m these days :)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I seem to remember about 0.5g was my choice of whip float. I have a dwindled stock of the floats I used back then. If I had to guess the bristle diameter I'd say 0.5mm, they're just thicker than Drennan Squatt bristles, which in turn are thicker than some Sensas Canal floats I have. Luckily @mickthechippy sent me a load of canal floats I've been sorting through to do my rigs tomorrow morning.
bloody hell that was months ago, aint you tied them yet !

and have you used that platform ?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
bloody hell that was months ago, aint you tied them yet !

and have you used that platform ?
You sent so many it would take me a week to tie them all. Eternally thankful for that! Actually, you sent some that were already tied and I even used them. :) Not used the platform yet except as a barrow, but I will this year.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have know clue about bristle diameter so it's just a guess that the 4x8s are 0.5mm, might be thinner. I remember having wire tipped floats but I've just checked and even the very thin Sensas ones I have appear to be plastic or glass.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I just found some old rigs of mine, still on some little winders.

2021-03-28 17.15.29.jpg

It actually looks quite big close up but they are tiny! I can just about read the writing on it and I'm sure it says 4x8. Does this sound right for a small float?

2021-03-28 17.15.45.jpg

I am LMAO that is says 0.9 mainline. My 14 year old self made the same mistakes I make as a 36 year old. And looking at the date, 12/99, these are rigs my 14 year old self made up. I'm quite impressed when I take the rig off the winder. It has 4 small shot strung out shirt button. And loops that are smaller than what I can tie now. The line still seems fine 21 years later as it's been kept in a seatbox, so if I had a use for them I'd still use them.

I can't remember ever using a float this light. Anyone ever use them and am I right that it's 4x8? They must be designed for far bank canal fishing but you'd do well to see the bristle at that distance. And I've said they were for Gudgeon fishing but I think with a bit of tow on the canal they are more only suitable for fishing squat on the drop?
I have a good few 4x8 for up in the water on calm days when the fish are weary ,for caster or pellet ,maggots.