Smaller hook for the hybrid feeder

Maverick

I'm used to using QM1 in size 10 & 12 for my bomb and pellet fishing and I've also been using the size 12 with 8mm wafters on the hybrid feeder. These are for carp fishing not F1s.

I was thinking of tying some banded hooks up for fishing a 6mm hard pellet or a 6mm bandum on the hybrid. I remember someone once commented that they thought the gape of the QM1 in a size 14 was too small for proper carp.

Just wondering what style and size hook you lot are using for a 6mm pellet on the method/hybrid feeder.

Maverick

I regularly use a 12 or a 10 when using 6mm baits or bigger, but not the QM1 anymore for me, point goes too quick.:(...MWG's rool!;):love:
Not surprised to hear your still a big fan of the MWGs mate, but am surprised to hear you and Dave feel it's fine to use a size 12s or 10s hook for a 6mm bait. That's scrambled my brain completeley :ROFLMAO:

Was expecting everyone to say either a 16s or a 14s in some pattern or another.

What's happened to matching the hook size to the bait? Is it just a case that on the method the fish will slurp anything up and the bigger hook gives you a higher chance of hooking them?

MrBen

Site Supporter
If you are using a wafter I tend to use the smaller hook that will allow it the water to remain on the bottom, that way the wafter is still on the bait pile. Tend to use kkh-b in a 16 as that is balanced with a ringers mini. Had carp to 13lb 4oz on that size.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Size 16 B911 for a 6mm pellet for me, however I’m sure you’d get away with a bigger hook with the method feeder. The fish are generally sucking up the feed pellets so probably don’t even notice the hook.

Total

Site Supporter
........What's happened to matching the hook size to the bait? Is it just a case that on the method the fish will slurp anything up and the bigger hook gives you a higher chance of hooking them?
^^ Basically yes mate. After seeing/experiencing what I could get away with tip fishing for silvers even in winter (all be it in lighter hook patterns) on single maggot hook baits). I might drop down to a 14's if I think it will advantageous, but more often than not I'll revert back to a 12 or 10's.

I should add, I can only relate this to my own waters/venues, yours of course could be completely different. Experiment and see what happens....(y)

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Not surprised to hear your still a big fan of the MWGs mate, but am surprised to hear you and Dave feel it's fine to use a size 12s or 10s hook for a 6mm bait. That's scrambled my brain completeley :ROFLMAO:

Was expecting everyone to say either a 16s or a 14s in some pattern or another.

What's happened to matching the hook size to the bait? Is it just a case that on the method the fish will slurp anything up and the bigger hook gives you a higher chance of hooking them?
With the method, when they are competing for the bait they tend to pick up everything. I think it may have been Jamie Mason who caught on a bare hook to prove a point and in one article I read they were using a size 12 with single maggot so to a certain degree it's mind over matter.

Once you've tried it you'll wonder why you didn't try it before however in winter once the water clears it's back down to a size 16.

Maverick

With the method, when they are competing for the bait they tend to pick up everything. I think it may have been Jamie Mason who caught on a bare hook to prove a point and in one article I read they were using a size 12 with single maggot so to a certain degree it's mind over matter.

Once you've tried it you'll wonder why you didn't try it before however in winter once the water clears it's back down to a size 16.
Thanks Dave I'll give it a try (y)