Small feeders

Joe C

Site Supporter
Thinking about heading to the Bristol Avon tomorrow, but I’ve only got small feeders and I’m concerned I won’t hold bottom, is link legering a viable back up on on a fairly wide and deep river? Would you bother in this situation or head for a Stillwater?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Depends how small the feeders are, how up the river is and the water temperature. Provided they aren’t tiny and rivers not bombing you might hold with a decent bow and even if it’s not holding provided it’s not bombing through you can catch on a moving feeder if the waters warm enough that the fish are active.

That said if it’s in the state the rivers still are here I would certainly be fishing a Stillwater, well I say I would be but I have actually been doing exactly that 😅👍🏻

Joe C

Site Supporter
Depends how small the feeders are, how up the river is and the water temperature. Provided they aren’t tiny and rivers not bombing you might hold with a decent bow and even if it’s not holding provided it’s not bombing through you can catch on a moving feeder if the waters warm enough that the fish are active.

That said if it’s in the state the rivers still are here I would certainly be fishing a Stillwater, well I say I would be but I have actually been doing exactly that 😅👍🏻
Stillwater it is then mate! Hope you’re keeping well

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Stillwater it is then mate! Hope you’re keeping well
I think there’s a couple on here that fish the Bristol Avon regularly that might be able to tell you how it’s looking and fishing. I just know our rivers need a couple more dry days yet.

And yes I’m well mate, healthy and catching fish so can’t complain, well wouldn’t mind a pub pint with some mates but that’s obviously a few months off yet! Hope you are good to 👍🏻

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Why would you even consider link ledgering when a small feeder can't hold bottom?
Surely a larger ledger weight would be of more use?

Joe C

Site Supporter
Why would you even consider link ledgering when a small feeder can't hold bottom?
Surely a larger ledger weight would be of more use?
I’ve never done any link legering, wasn’t sure if it was used more if you want a bait that’s moving along the river bed? Judging by your answer I’m guessing not.

Joe C

Site Supporter
I think there’s a couple on here that fish the Bristol Avon regularly that might be able to tell you how it’s looking and fishing. I just know our rivers need a couple more dry days yet.

And yes I’m well mate, healthy and catching fish so can’t complain, well wouldn’t mind a pub pint with some mates but that’s obviously a few months off yet! Hope you are good to 👍🏻
Im glad to hear mate!

dave brittain 1

Basically depending on flow and depth, for bream you'll want some medium and large feeders from standard weight 30grams to 60 grams, (2 oz), unless there's a fair bit of extra water in.

A link feeder such as the Drennan comes into it's own on clear rivers when fishing for roach but quite often, particularly on rivers, you will need to add extra weight. If there's colour in and you're fishing for roach a groundbait feeder a couple of rod lengths out can be very effective and there is a good chance on the Avon of skimmers and bream on this line, however if it's not too fast and when practical I'd always fish past the middle.

The key is to ensure you hold the bottom and that the feeder is just heavy enough to hold.

The below picture shows typical Nisa and Drennan open end feeders in addition to a Drennan link feeder, noting that the open end feeders are available in weights from 3/4's of an ounce to 3 oz to allow for different conditions.

In flood water conditions the feeders in the bottom photo would come into play, noting these are chub and barbel feeders for big rivers such as the river Wye, Severn or Trent. Although it's unlikely you'll need feeders this size on the Avon I've added them for illustration purposes so that you can see where the additional lead has been added to allow you to hold the bottom in differing conditions.

20210227_051657.jpg 20210123_194233.jpg

Silver fan 82

Having said that you can roll / bounce a link ledger along the bottom if your fishing for chub or Barbel. I have no knowledge of the river personally but just another option?
But as has been said it really does depend on how much the river is flowing through.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I would want to know the make up of the river bed before considering a moving lead/feeder.
Could end up being a very expensive,pointless day and especially in late Autumn/Winter when there is a lot of debris running through.

Browner

Thinking about heading to the Bristol Avon tomorrow, but I’ve only got small feeders and I’m concerned I won’t hold bottom, is link legering a viable back up on on a fairly wide and deep river? Would you bother in this situation or head for a Stillwater?
Where on the Bristol Avon are thinking of heading? It makes a lot of difference.

baggy

Mark Saunders
I’m not sure whether it still works with extra water on the Avon but fishing the feeder down the inside was worth fishing. You could get away with using a lighter feeder using worms normally lobbies

Joe C

Site Supporter
I’m not sure whether it still works with extra water on the Avon but fishing the feeder down the inside was worth fishing. You could get away with using a lighter feeder using worms normally lobbies
funnily enough, that's exactly what I did, had a clonking roach as a result.

baggy

Mark Saunders
funnily enough, that's exactly what I did, had a clonking roach as a result.
you could catch bream and chub that way but I’m talking about 25 years ago, I’m sure you would still catch them that way on the right peg