Small feeders in Winter?

Zerkalo

Common sense suggests smaller feeders are best in Winter. The fish are feeding less and you don't want to overfeed them or wait longer for bites.

I have been feeder fishing a couple of commercials all Winter and my plan has always been to start with a Medium cage feeder so some bait goes in and then feel my way into it, switching down to a small size feeder if bites are slow. Though whats happened, most times I've caught from the off and not had to wait very long for bites so have just kept the medium feeder on all day. Am I missing a trick by not using the small size feeders? Bear in mind I'm fishing on commercials that are full of fish and can take a lot of bait.

I've always felt the small size feeders are very small indeed. I use a mix of Pinkies and Micropellets with a pinch of Maggots sandwiched between F1 Fishmeal groundbait. I have a feeling as it's going to be a cold one tomorrow I might be scratching a bit more and have to go down to the small size feeder.

Sorry if maybe thinking aloud a bit here, but most Winter feeder fishing videos I watch from top anglers on youtube seem to recommend using a small feeder.

Dusty

Common sense suggests smaller feeders are best in Winter. The fish are feeding less and you don't want to overfeed them or wait longer for bites.

I have been feeder fishing a couple of commercials all Winter and my plan has always been to start with a Medium cage feeder so some bait goes in and then feel my way into it, switching down to a small size feeder if bites are slow. Though whats happened, most times I've caught from the off and not had to wait very long for bites so have just kept the medium feeder on all day. Am I missing a trick by not using the small size feeders? Bear in mind I'm fishing on commercials that are full of fish and can take a lot of bait.

I've always felt the small size feeders are very small indeed. I use a mix of Pinkies and Micropellets with a pinch of Maggots sandwiched between F1 Fishmeal groundbait. I have a feeling as it's going to be a cold one tomorrow I might be scratching a bit more and have to go down to the small size feeder.

Sorry if maybe thinking aloud a bit here, but most Winter feeder fishing videos I watch from top anglers on youtube seem to recommend using a small feeder.

If you are using a medium one and it’s working then keep going.
The only thing I would suggest is feeling your way in with a smaller feeder and then upping to Medium if necessary. You run the risk of over feeding perhaps by going straight in with the medium.

Zerkalo

I might try starting on the small size feeder tomorrow. (y)

Another thing I should bear in mind is that I'm usually the only one fishing the lake midweek so it's not like a match with everyones bait going in.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I might try starting on the small size feeder tomorrow. (y)

Another thing I should bear in mind is that I'm usually the only one fishing the lake midweek so it's not like a match with everyones bait going in.
One other thing to bear in mind, we haven’t had a winter yet, it’s not been properly cold for any sustained period.

gillsmike

It's one of those questions where there's so many different variables.
Main thing to think about is what fish you are targeting. So if you're after carp/f1s then the bomb can be a great way to start at this time of year (especially when it's really cold) with bread or corn as a visual bait and cast around to look for signs of fish.
Where as for bream or skimmers etc it could be that a bigger feeder cast less often will be better or a smaller feeder cast much more regularly is better. Maybe start on a bigger feeder and cast just every 15-20 mins for an hour and if not catching then go to a smaller feeder and then cast every 5-10 mins. Sometimes if you're catching well on a bigger feeder and it slows a switch to a smaller feeder can get bites back because the bigger feeder has caused too much bait to be in the peg.
It's often a case of trial and error. If it's been mild over night for a good period then often it's worth fishing a bit more positively where as if it's been colder then start smaller and work your way in.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I use the same feeders all year round but in summer I cup in a lot of bait and recast every 5 minutes whereas in winter I leave the feeder in a lot longer like gillsmike.

Zerkalo

Started with a small feeder today but had no micro pellets as fishery shop didn't open till one and even then I only managed to get 3mm pellets. So I switched to a medium feeder after about and hour to get a bit more groundbait in and my catch rate improved slightly but not as much as when the pellets arrived. Ended up with only 21 fish and they were mostly skimmers! So slightly slower than usual. I put it down to not having micro pellets. I think they're essential on this venue when fishing groundbait in a cage feeder. It attracts and holds the carp. I also put it down to not fishing the deepest part of the lake like I usually do as someone else was fishing there lol. So in the end spent most of the time on a medium feeder again! And casting every 5-10 minutes. If I had micro pellets in the mix I might have stuck it out on the small feeder. Thanks for the tips anyway!

I also found out my new Greys Prodigy TXL Twin Tip is too powerful for size 18 hook fishing! Not really what I bought it for anyway but had to try it as only just bought it. Think it's going to be ideal for what I did buy it for though.

Zerkalo

I'm a groundbait addict. Going to try a pellet feeder there over next couple of months definitely.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I use the small 15 grm drennan ones on my club lake, with a mixture of micros and a little groundbait... the main quarry are bream which run to approx 8lbs... they are not interested in maggots, you get pestered with small roach on the grubs... but 6mm dumbells seem to work for the bream