Small engine advice

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I have a ride on mower with a briggs and stratton 130 powerbilt engine
I starts OK and revs freely, but seems to have no power. Just engaging the blades is enough to almost stop it.
Any ideas or suggestions welcome

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I have a ride on mower with a briggs and stratton 130 powerbilt engine
I starts OK and revs freely, but seems to have no power. Just engaging the blades is enough to almost stop it.
Any ideas or suggestions welcome
@Dave Spence on way with WD40 and hammer as something sounds seized up

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Sounds like fuel starvation. First thing I'd check is that the breather in the fuel cap isn't blocked. If that's OK then the carb will need cleaning, fuel residue has probably gummed up the jets.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Had two B&S engines, first had a diaphragm carb which the diaphragm gasket became week and poked to much fuel into the
engine. No power because it was like driving an old car with the choke out when the engine was hot, changed gasket fine.

Second engine is gravity fed, build up of debris {tiny bits of grass} in the float chamber shutting off fuel.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Also worth putting in a new air filter as they often get full of dust and oil residue starving the engine

Check that the blades are not obstructed with line around the output shaft or clogged up with grass & mud making them too tight for the motor to turn

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Is the drive belt too tight or is there a build up of debris around the blades. I had a Briggs Stratton ride on and had a similar problem.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Thanks for all your suggestions. I think (hope) I found the problem with a dirty fuel filter.
Just got back from the trip into town to get a replacement. which I will fit very soon and roar off into the sunset (y)