Small carp rod for method?

turnpike

Site Supporter
Before you buy also think about the type of venues you will fish.
10 to 12 feet doesn't seem much in it but in a tight swim and fishing to the side a longer rod can add problems.
I think a 9 or 10 should do it. My vertex waggler is an 11 and I find it's a bit of a faff with nearby bushes/trees etc when I'm not casting far. Regretted not going smaller for the sort of fishing I'm doing. That said I realise a lot of people prefer the length for playing etc.

turnpike

Site Supporter
Still hovering over the buy button on a maver feeder rod. Can anyone explain why a feeder rod says casting weight 80-90g? Is it the wrong rod for a 24 or a 36g method feeder then? Thanks!

turnpike

Site Supporter
I thought that would be the case but then maver also do a specific "method" feeder rod and the casting weight on that says 40g.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I wonder if the stated weight is a guide to the optimum weight of loaded feeder - as my rod has no casting weight specified I just chose a small one (15g) since this was all the weight I needed to reach 25yds & it all seems to work OK.

Silver fan 82

My feeder rod doesn't have a casting weight or test curves for the tips anywhere on it. You will get to know what feels right or not. Too heavy feeder and it will feel heavy, too light and you won't be able to tighten up to it properly. Having the right feeder and tip will also help with easier, more accurate and consistent casting too.
The casting weight is usually the optimum weight that the particular rod or tip to cast.

nickg

With any semi fixed method feeder rig vids I've seen on YouTube, the fish tend to hook themselves and bolt so it's not like you need an ultra sensitive tip..

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I have 1lb commons pulling the rod across the rest head so completely agree that subtlety with carp isn’t a high priority - however it’s nice to have a range of tips available in case you’d like to go after other species at some point who do tend to be more reserved in their feeding.

turnpike

Site Supporter
As I know I'm using this for short chucks I'm tempted to get one which says up to 40/50g rather than one with a weight range up around 60-80. Middy for example have one which handles feeder weights "up to " 40 or 50. Sounds like whichever one I get would work but that they have an optimum for the max intended cast range.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My Guru N-Gauge 10ft feeder rod says it has a casting weight of 50g but I would not use it for loaded feeders over 30g at max and only for short chucks, it is quite a light rod. Not saying the other rods will be the same but just thinking that 'stated' casting weight might only be a guide and vary between rods. I broke two tips on my N-Gauge trying to cast further with it than it is designed for.

Adders27

I purchased a Drennan Vertex Carp Feeder in 11ft for fishing method or pellet feeders
It comes with 2oz and 3oz tips ideal for carp fishing
Great rod and I match it with Ninja 3000 reel with 6lb line but you may want to up it to 8lb line
I also have a Daiwa Ninja 10ft feeder rod for lighter stuff yet I’ve had carp to 10lb on it