Small carp rod for method?

turnpike

Site Supporter
Will a Wychwood Riot 9ft 2.75lb "carp" rod I have already do me to get into method feeding out to about 15-20m? Or am I really going to need to spend the cash on a proper feeder rod?

I bought it before I knew any better then got into pole fishing. I use an entry level 11m pole mostly, so am thinking I need a way to get out just a little further.

Thanks!

turnpike

Site Supporter
I expect carp 3-10lb generally. Standard commercials. As you say it probably is too much, I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not being stupid throwing more money at this. I expect a decent feeder rod would be around £75.

SteveAmo

That rod you describe is way too stiff for the method, nowadays you can some cracking budget rods for under £50.

Go see your local tackle dealer tell him the venues you intend to fish and he’ll sort you out something far more appropriate.

Good luck

satinet

Miles over gunned for those fish imho

You can get decent rods for will under 75 notes. For 15 to 20m you can use 8 or 9ft rods of which there are many cheap ones about.

turnpike

Site Supporter
Cheers. I thought as much but good to check before spending. I'll get myself a budget/decent feeder rod. I'm sure it will come in handy over the years. Probably don't need the carp 9' to be honest. Put it down to experience.

satinet

What you're talking about is obviously a short chuck but method and pellet feeders tend to cast quite far because the are fairly aerodynamic. I.e round ball with no hook link flapping around. So you don't need a big rod.

Silver fan 82

Way over gunned really mate. Get yourself a feeder rod. You will have much more fun fishing the method feeder on a feeder rod.

turnpike

Site Supporter
What you're talking about is obviously a short chuck but method and pellet feeders tend to cast quite far because the are fairly aerodynamic. I.e round ball with no hook link flapping around. So you don't need a big rod.
Yeah I still think I'll be sticking to 9 or 10'. With the places I go I just need to get beyond my 11m pole. Thinking ahead I suppose if I ever had a 16m pole. then the feeder would be for windy days or 20-30m.

turnpike

Site Supporter
I was about to buy a maver feeder rod until I noticed the same brand also has a method rod in the same range. It's never simple :)

Lee Richards

Site Supporter

turnpike

Site Supporter
Cheers! I was looking at the Maver MVR feeder. Not that much more some places. But the MVR range has a specific "method" rod as well as the feeder. Will consider this one too. Here's hoping we're allowed to get out and use them!

turnpike

Site Supporter
Had a closer look. The MVR method has a lower casting weight. Sounds like a feeder rod will do for method. Although I do think I'll be on the smaller methods. Just that they have some more tailored method rods. At least I think that's what it is! Leaning towards the one you linked Lee thanks again.

satinet

The maver abyss rods were really good for the money. If the reality is similar it will do you well.

Those sonik sksc rods look a bargain though.

turnpike

Site Supporter
Reality or MVR 9 or 10' is top of the list. I'm just in the process of confusing myself about casting weights of 60-90 when all I'm planning to do is 25/30.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’m using a Ron Thomson Panther feeder rod (12’) for method as it‘s what I‘ve got but it is spot on for the job.

Currently flinging a 15g Drennan method out between 15m & 30m (can go further) with ease & as it’s a lovely through action rod I am banking carp with ease up to (currently) 13lb on 8lb mainline. Since I’m pleasure fishing there is no need to ‘yank & bank’ so I’ve plenty of time to play the fish in.

Mine was a charity shop find - a tenner I think - and they pop up on auction sites for about £20 now and again. Something similar would be ideal for you rather than the carp rod plus you will have the flexibility of a multi-tip rod to go heavier on your feeder or a bomb or combat different water & wind conditions.

turnpike

Site Supporter
There’s also the 10ft Drennan Vertex Method Feeder you might want to look at.
Yeah I have the vertex waggler rod. Very nice but about £100 which is a little more than I want to spend. 50-75 sounds better as I need to reign it in a bit after a summer of gearing up.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Before you buy also think about the type of venues you will fish.
10 to 12 feet doesn't seem much in it but in a tight swim and fishing to the side a longer rod can add problems.

satinet

I actually prefer a 12 foot rod if I'm method fishing *really* close to the bank either side of me. It's easier to side cast down the bank and it's easier to get the fish out in to open water. Just what I find.