Slow start to the year?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Although I've seen some good catches from a few anglers reported on here, I've had a very slow start to the year, I can't remember one good session.

Begs the question, anyone else had a slow start to the year?

• I've practically given up fishing the canal near me after going for an hour this morning and not getting a bite on bread. It's not a very prolific place at the moment.
  • I'm not really into fishing commercial fisheries from this time of year onwards, preferring them in winter and I couldn't do that because of lockdown this year.
  • It's the closed season on rivers at the moment but as I plan to do a lot more float fishing for 'big' fish this year, I can see that going awry.
  • Tench fishing, it's not quite warm enough yet, and that could be hit and miss as could any potential Bream sessions I have.

All in all I definitely think I prefer fishing in the latter half of the year.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Mixture really Z.

Had good days and not so good.

Been thoroughly seduced by Esox recently, and shall not rest until I've improved on my record of five sessions, one landed, three lost.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Mixture really Z.

Had good days and not so good.

Been thoroughly seduced by Esox recently, and shall not rest until I've improved on my record of five sessions, one landed, three lost.
You had some good days Ide fishing didn't you? I could do with a bit of that, more so if I was fishing the pole. 😁

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've just been watching this video of Dave Roberts and Tom Scholey fishing the Severn at Bewdley to wet my appetite for my favourite time of year, but I'm under no illusions about the fishing there.

If you watch this video (starts at the right point), Tom starts fishing the waggler shallow for Bleak much to Dave's dismay. :LOL::LOL: It reminds me of what my dad would do fishing there. 😁 That's part of why I'm looking forward to trying flake there, no Bleak hopefully.

Nicky Dodds

I had a session on a stretch of the aire and calder canal that doesn't get fished much but usually holds fish. Struggled for 23 small fish and they all wanted the bait moved around to tempt a bite. Yet there's other stretches throwing up 80lb+ bags of bream. Our local canal is also fishing hard and this time of year anywhere round double figures is needed to win but best weight we've seen is 5lb odd. Southfield reservoir is struggling due to overnight frosts and low water levels due to repair work on the canal about a mile downstream. The canal is dammed off and migratory bream can't reach the reservoir.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Heard good things about the A&C. (y) A shame it's not fishing well, seen a few difficult day reports on here from there recently. :oops:

The Staffs/Worcs is my canal. Used to be renowned for Chub on some stretches with some not bad Roach catches too I think. It's just not fishing at the moment though, heard 4oz won a match the other day.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I’ve had a very iffy start , I’ve fished 4 matches, had 2 x 2nds, 1 section win, and 1 “thanks for coming “ , 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️3 matches this week to improve on that 🤞🤞

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
Chefster
The down turn in the weather hasn't helped ? But it looks like it's on the up next week ?
I've been on 3 matches
A 3rd,A4 th and A thanks for coming ( -2 cold and sunny not the best weather for a good match ) 35 won our lake with 12 pound winning the other .

smiffy

Site Supporter
It’s these bloody frosts. On my sort of venues it’s just killing the fishing stone dead. The water is clear enough already without the frosts constantly knocking any potential colour on the head. I think we’ve had two weeks now of solid frosts😤😤. Unusual for down here.
Wind is cold aswell.
Been over my local resevoir, Ardleigh, and spoken to the bailiff. Bream are still out in the deep water, shoaled up, but still a long way from the bank. I think we’re looking at another week or two before they start heading for the shallower water. I’m pretty sure I’d catch at night but I’m long past that phase of my life😂😂

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
We had a few days where it was really warm didn't we, then it's gone cold especially overnight again. Shouldn't be long now.

I'm sure it doesn't apply as much to all coarse fish as much as Big Carp, but what do people think of this theory posited on Youtube by a Specimen Carp angler?... Fish are more interested in getting their body temperatures up for spawning then they are in feeding at this time of year?

Nicky Dodds

Bream round here go on the munch before spawning but the trouble is a lot can't get to their usual spawning grounds due to the dam in the canal.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Never had any problems catching Bream before spawning. It’s actually my favourite time because they are shoaled up, big and clean. It’s lovely being able to pick them up and not get covered in slime.
If fish were trying to raise their temperatures then I’d expect to seen them all on top catching the sun on their backs or moving into shallow water during the day. Carp are doing that now but I haven’t seen any other species in the shallow water yet. Only time I see the Bream in the shallows, on the venues I fish, is when they are spawning.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My main Bream lake opens around August to coarse fishing long after spawning has finished and I always fish the deep section of that simply because you can park behind your peg and I like the sensation of counting the feeder down to the bottom. Always catch okay but don't even know how you get to some of the shallow parts of the lake.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Ive always reckoned on twelve foot as an ideal depth for Bream. Its a personal thing. On another reservoir near me a venue expert reckons you can catch big Bream all day as long as you are fishing in 20+ feet of water. Not been able to get over there to try his theory out though.
This blog is worth a read. It’s not local to you but Bream are Bream. This is the chap that catches in twenty feet.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Will have a browse of that. I'm told that bit of the lake I fish is 17' deep but to me, and the time you have to wait for the feeder to hit the bottom, it feels more like 20'+. I think it will be manageable on a big slider float on some pegs though, so that's another challenge for this year.

Dslayer

dslayer
Although I've seen some good catches from a few anglers reported on here, I've had a very slow start to the year, I can't remember one good session.

Begs the question, anyone else had a slow start to the year?

• I've practically given up fishing the canal near me after going for an hour this morning and not getting a bite on bread. It's not a very prolific place at the moment.
  • I'm not really into fishing commercial fisheries from this time of year onwards, preferring them in winter and I couldn't do that because of lockdown this year.
  • It's the closed season on rivers at the moment but as I plan to do a lot more float fishing for 'big' fish this year, I can see that going awry.
  • Tench fishing, it's not quite warm enough yet, and that could be hit and miss as could any potential Bream sessions I have.

All in all I definitely think I prefer fishing in the latter half of the year.
Already had a session a couple of weeks ago where my partner and I caught a dozen or more tench to 5lb+ ... and one winter with water temps at 7'C and fishing for perch weekly Oct-Feb I had not one perch ... and actually caught ONLY tench, and 4-5 per session....

Got to be in it to win it!

Dslayer

dslayer
Will have a browse of that. I'm told that bit of the lake I fish is 17' deep but to me, and the time you have to wait for the feeder to hit the bottom, it feels more like 20'+. I think it will be manageable on a big slider float on some pegs though, so that's another challenge for this year.
Fishing that deep on a slider really requires you to be fishing within 10'-20' of the float so that you can strike almost vertically... ie in a boat or on a pool with deep water close in... any further out the angle of the line would mean that your strike would be mainly just taking up slack line (ie straightening the angle in the line between the rod tip to float and the line between float and hook?

Have float fished that deep but in those days we were in a punt on Patshull sat within 10' of the float....

Myself, I'll be fishing a new club pool with sloping banks of 45' and depths of over 30' - but def will be on the frame feeder!
People do floatfish but as they're after rudd and roach (spit!) I think they fish the upper layers...

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Already had a session a couple of weeks ago where my partner and I caught a dozen or more tench to 5lb+ ... and one winter with water temps at 7'C and fishing for perch weekly Oct-Feb I had not one perch ... and actually caught ONLY tench, and 4-5 per session....

Got to be in it to win it!
Do you mind if I ask where from? 😁 I seem to remember from your previous posts we live in a similar area? Do you know Himley Hall? That's where I'll be going, just don't want to go before I'm most likely to catch as I've had enough difficult ones this year.

Fishing that deep on a slider really requires you to be fishing within 10'-20' of the float so that you can strike almost vertically... ie in a boat or on a pool with deep water close in... any further out the angle of the line would mean that your strike would be mainly just taking up slack line (ie straightening the angle in the line between the rod tip to float and the line between float and hook?

Have float fished that deep but in those days we were in a punt on Patshull sat within 10' of the float....

Myself, I'll be fishing a new club pool with sloping banks of 45' and depths of over 30' - but def will be on the frame feeder!
People do floatfish but as they're after rudd and roach (spit!) I think they fish the upper layers...
It's Patshull I'm on about mate... have seen videos of people slider fishing there including James Robbins, and have heard of decent match results on the slider, so it must be possible somehow, just maybe not on the very deep pegs?