Slow day back at Patshull

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Slow as expected really when I got there this morning and saw yesterdays open results as below.

ca.jpg

The weights on the Garbolino Tournament over the weekend weren’t much better with 40lb winning. Hopes were still there though as no one else was fishing so maybe we could draw a few fish into our pegs a bit easier.

I went with my dad and I chose peg 28, him peg 29, these are in the deeps in front of the now closed down hotel. Fishing 9am till 3.30pm we was both fishing Sonubaits Worm groundbait and pellets through the feeder with worm on the hook. About 10 casts at the start to bait up and then in the first hour, dad has a Bream then I do shortly afterwards. Signs of a few fish, but nothing much materialised.

I ended up with 6 Bream for estimated 18lb and my had had 3 Bream for an estimated 10lb. Both of us tried maggot on the hook in a bid to woo a few Skimmers, just fishing for bites, but did not get a touch so back on worm it was. It was nice to be back there but I think time is running out this year and it will be next summer before it fishes well again but you never know.

2020-09-03 15.45.04.jpg

SeanB

Site Supporter
Another good, honest write up 👍
What do you think of the worm groundbait? I bought a bag of caster groundbait recently but not tried it yet and did OK on the maggot version last year.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Another good, honest write up 👍
What do you think of the worm groundbait? I bought a bag of caster groundbait recently but not tried it yet and did OK on the maggot version last year.
Cheers mate. (y)

The Worm groundbait I'm not 100% sold on. It works for me, but it's not deadly effective if you know what I mean, as it sounds like it could be.

My favourite mixes from the fishmealy Sonubaits range are Exploding Fishmeal and F1 Green. I've tried the Caster one once and that was for Barbel fishing, I caught a few, but don't think it was down to the groundbait on that occasion as I would have needed a stodgier mix on the river.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Ive heard of worse days! Decent bream by the looks of it.

Funny when you get places that only produce bigger fish like that, you would think you’d get a few skimmers.

SeanB

Site Supporter
I know what you mean mate, as I said I caught with the maggot one but in truth I may have caught with any other type or even without it at all. Still I think a lot of us will still look for that magic mix lol

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah not a bite on maggot and I was half expecting some of the micro Perch you sometimes get there! There are skimmers in there but maybe elsewhere in the lake today as it always amazes me just how deep the deeps are there. You can really count a feeder to the bottom. I'm told it's 17ft but to me it feels like 20ft+ going from how long the feeder takes to hit the bottom and the resulting angle of the line. Bream I had were not bad though, cheers, in the 3lb bracket.

With the groundbait I probably need to trial them a bit more myself before I have a proper opinion as Worm has been highly recommended to me in the past. I think you're right about the magic mix though I haven't really found one and just happy with a high fishmeal content groundbait a lot of the time. In winter I mix them out with the So Natural mixes.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
As always a great write up from Zerkalo. Thanks pal. Always enjoy reading about your fishing adventures. What do you think as happened to the tail of that bream ? Disease perhaps ?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
As always a great write up from Zerkalo. Thanks pal. Always enjoy reading about your fishing adventures. What do you think as happened to the tail of that bream ? Disease perhaps ?
Cheers mate. Dunno about the tail but I was looking at that myself, only noticed when I saw the pic, doubt it's Pike although there are some big ones in there so maybe spawning damage although quite unusual?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Cheers mate. Dunno about the tail but I was looking at that myself, only noticed when I saw the pic, doubt it's Pike although there are some big ones in there so maybe spawning damage although quite unusual?
A snacking Otter ? 😆😆.

Nice net pal. Well done. Looks like you can turn your hand to all styles of fishing. 👍

SeanB

Site Supporter
I don't know if it's just me but I feel that the older style mixes, like supercup and secret, or those for a more natural venue/roach types seem to do what it says on the bag whereas some of the commercial focused blends seem like a case of churning out as many different flavours as possible.
That's a bit waffly but it made sense in my head 🥴

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Can moles swim? Just wondering like, not casting any aspersions at anyone's little furry friends 😆
I reckon they can Sean. In the floods last year when our paddock was under a foot of water he / she survived. As long as he digs his holes in one place he can stay. 😃👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I don't know if it's just me but I feel that the older style mixes, like supercup and secret, or those for a more natural venue/roach types seem to do what it says on the bag whereas some of the commercial focused blends seem like a case of churning out as many different flavours as possible.
That's a bit waffly but it made sense in my head 🥴
Does make sense. I basically just want something to plug pellets in a feeder with, so maybe even plain old Brown Crumb would be as effective.

SeanB

Site Supporter
We are spoilt for choice these days, I've certainly made life harder for myself by over complicating things.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Consistency is probably the most important thing to me. People have said to me, "What's that mud in your groundbait bowl?" using Sonubaits fishmeal. :LOL: I can mix it dry for a cloud or wet and stodgy as it takes quite a lot of water and goes quite sticky, more of a paste than a slop like bready mixes go.

SeanB

Site Supporter
I think your right, I think I need to cut down the different types and really get to grips with how particular mixes work in different situations. The ironic thing is, I know I'm being taken in by the marketing hype but still buy the stuff "just in case" - I think it's the curse of the modern angler lol 😆

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thing is, my tackle shop has a full isle dedicated to groundbait, all the old Sensas ones in there, even still have Marukyu in there. I love it. :) (y)

SeanB

Site Supporter
😁😁😁 I walk into a tackle shop and suddenly revert back to being a kid in a sweet shop 😉
I was going to say that groundbait is like an anglers crack, but I'm not sure that's something I'd want to admit to smelling 😳