Slopes

Dusty

How do people go about fishing on a slope? In a lot of the venues I’ve been fishing recently the bottom slopes from the margins very gradually and then levels out at around 10 metres.
Providing the slope isn’t too steep I have been fishing about halfway down it (2+2 line) and have found this to be quite successful.

A few things,

If fishing a lake with a steep slope is it simply a case of trying to find a flat area?

How do you fish sloping margins? I’ve had excellent weights fishing flat bottoms in the margins but really struggle with confidence fishing a sloping edge.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Make sure you lay your line on the slope by flicking out a bit so that the rig or line falls back on to it rather than sits higher up the slope than your float is over it (if you get what I mean)
The fish will feed confidently on the slope and any bites will show easily (sometimes as a lift rather than pull down)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I learned watching a Tench video sometimes it can be better to fish on the slope than at the bottom of the slope where a lot of silt can gather. My natural inclination previous to watching that would have been to fish at the bottom of the slope in the natural food holding area. I suppose that's for steeper slopes than a 10m slope though.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Weakest part of my fishing pole wise, glad you asked this one. So not best placed to offer much, bar taking time to get depth just right and trying to have something to use as a marker for returning to that spot. If I'm not confident in a margin I will plumb around as you say for a flat spot. Sometimes in the right conditions, negate the need for very accurate plumbing completely by swinging it in to bank shallow- works on a few venues that.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I would use a heavy plummet and find the silt then work back towards yourself until you are a couple of inches up the slope and feed just inside your float. That way the groundbait in whatever form you use will hit the slope and drift down onto where your bait is. Lay your rig away from you and allow it to settle like when fishing a waggler.

rudd

Site Supporter
I would use a heavy plummet and find the silt then work back towards yourself until you are a couple of inches up the slope and feed just inside your float. That way the groundbait in whatever form you use will hit the slope and drift down onto where your bait is. Lay your rig away from you and allow it to settle like when fishing a waggler.
This is how I fish the slope of a dam wall with the waggler or slider.
If legering from the opposite bank I fish a foot of leadcore with a safety clip and flying back lead to pin line down on bottom and use a pop up straight off the !ead.
This way I know my bait is visable to fish above or below bait and that bait has not rolled down the shelf/ slope.

rudd

Site Supporter
This is how I fish the slope of a dam wall with the waggler or slider.
If legering from the opposite bank I fish a foot of leadcore with a safety clip and flying back lead to pin line down on bottom and use a pop up straight off the !ead.
This way I know my bait is visable to fish above or below bait and that bait has not rolled down the shelf/ slope.
Lead usex is flat sand coated pear - so it stays put.