Slik

Paul22

So I took the plunge and after having some good sound advice from an up and coming angler I bought some slik elastic.
My normal elastic is middy hi-vis solid in sizes 12 and 14.
I bought the green 16-18 for margin work......
Yellow 14-16 for normal mid range carp .....
I also bought a top kit cleaner so I made sure the internals of the kits were clean.
I normally use a stonfo connector but decided to try the guru Dacron connectors........
I fitted the elastic using a puller kit as I was told the elastic is very stretchy.
Anyway I used it on Saturday both the green and yellow in a match and caught 55lb of carp the biggest was a tad over 11lb but most were 3-5 lb.....
I also used lubricant as I normally do but was told it’s required when using slik.......
Anyway the elastic worked perfectly it was really stretchy and smooth but was powerful enough to handle decent carp ....... the hook lengths I used was .15 on my deck rig and .17 direct in my margin rig this is the rig I had the 11 pounder on.
I never felt under gunned or out of control and got the fish in reasonably quickly but the main thing was I never lost a fish.... this is not normal for me I usually lose a couple with hook pulls and I’m definitely convinced the elastic helped with this being nice and soft.
There were no bubbles or flattening of the elastic and the colours make it easy to identify.......
The Dacron was connected with a simple knot and lassoed on like you would with hollow.
The price at £8 for 3m is pretty reasonable too.
Best of all I won the match and landing all the fish definitely helped as I was only one fish clear of second place.
All in all I would recommend the elastic but I will have to see how long it lasts and will report back in a few months ??

Total

Site Supporter
@Paul22 ......Thank you for the above, very helpful. :)(y).....Like yourself I'm a long time user of Middy Hi Viz elastics (with a side puller) as longevity with most makes of hollows was a problem.....Was your new Slik used with a side puller or bottom end puller?

Have been trialling the NG, Slik equivalent for a couple of months and so far results have been favourable on all fronts.....Still prefer my Middy Hi viz in sensible sizes for my margin work though. :giggle:

Paul22

@Paul22 ......Thank you for the above, very helpful. :)(y).....Like yourself I'm a long time user of Middy Hi Viz elastics (with a side puller) as longevity with most makes of hollows was a problem.....Was your new Slik used with a side puller or bottom end puller?

Have been trialling the NG, Slik equivalent for a couple of months and so far results have been favourable on all fronts.....Still prefer my Middy Hi viz in sensible sizes for my margin work though. :giggle:
I used a side puller which is in my kits......the green 16-18 was really good for margin work it allowed the fish to swim out of the margin and have a decent run but was powerful enough to handle the fish easily.
My hook was only a size 14 b911 on the margin rig and a 16 b911 on the deck rig.
I was sceptical but not any more I loved the stuff ?

Paul22

i find i get more hook pulls on solid than hollow and the slik elastic is more hollow in performance than a solid, i am tempted to get a length to test
I’d give it a go pal ........ when the fish run it just keeps stretching even when you have shortened it in the puller ?

tedstriker

Site Supporter
I've always found the middy hi viz to be softer than the rating for the diameter of it

Paul22

I've always found the middy hi viz to be softer than the rating for the diameter of it
Yes I agree about hi vis........ the slik is softer still but not stupidly soft but I’m guessing if you buy it in two lighter size for the fish you’re after then it will be too soft........ the key is choosing the right sizes.
10-12 and 12-14 good for open water and shallow fishing
14-16 and 16-18 good big carp stuff

Corn Master

Try this stuff. Get two kits out of it if you have side pullas
Screenshot_20190819-125030_Chrome.jpg

Total

Site Supporter

Have found the same, but still superb stuff across the range. (y) And lasts for ages, which is its biggest plus point for me.....Why they ever got rid of the white Middy Hi Viz, I'll never know. :(.......Heard some talk at the time of a few manufacturing problems (cracking, etc) but never had any grief from it.....