Slightly unconventional tactics

Browner

As the river was unfishable, I decided to pop to the canal. Only had bread and punch crumb so set up a short 7m pole (its actually an 8m Drennan whip the I use as a pole) to fish down the middle and a straight lead to fish the far bank. Fished 8mm punch on the pole and 6mm punch on the lead. Caught well on both, some nice roach and some skimmers. Slightly unconventional tactics for a canal, especially the straight lead, but very enjoyable. Anybody else happy to use unconventional tactics.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Most unconventional thing I do is when trotting short distances on slow flowing rivers I often cast slightly upstream and then run through mostly with the bail closed or just occasionally open. Looks and sounds all wrong but I've 100% caught more doing it as the slight upstream cast extends the bite zone by getting the bait down earlier and the closed bail makes hitting bites easier. Obviously I don't do it when I've got a nice long trot to play with especially in quick water but on slow relatively shorts trots it's definitely improved my results.

I also mostly use maggot type feeders for fishing ground bait laced with maggots and hemp. Much less comes out on the drop than with a cage or open end feeders which helps reduce the number of bleak that follow the feeder down. Again it's definitely caught me more proper fish as you get your bait through the bleak at least twice as often as a conventional ground bait feeder.

There's all sorts of other slightly odd stuff I do but those two are probably the most unconventional yet most effective.

Browner

I also like to fish a pole float on a running line. I guess it’s not too far away from bolo fishing.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Doesn't that just mean you're feeding too far upstream ??
I don't think so as watching others I roughly just feed where most people appear to feed. So possibly but only if most people do it. When I say cast upstream I only mean like 1 o'clock not like uptiding! I've just found that fish often settle much further up the trot in slow water than I ever thought they would so on trots that can be very short it just buys me an extra couple yards of fishable water as the rig ends up properly fishing more or less by the time it's in front of me. Sometimes it's not even about getting bites earlier it can just allow me to get the line all sorted before I get into the business zone so saves a bit of mending when I'm over the fish.

I don't think I've discovered some new deadly method or anything it's just something I tried on a whim a couple years ago when I was getting bites early in a trot and just stuck with it on certain pegs in certain conditions as it seems to improve results.

Zerkalo

8 maggots on a size 14 hook is my go to bait for the small river I fish. I think this is a lot more maggots than some people put on a hook but I like a big bait. So slightly unconventional but probably not reinventing the wheel.

Robwooly

When my rivers are slow in the summer I like to catch barbel using a matchstick, I suppose that's unconventional.

Once fished a 4no4 wire stemmed stick in the English channel off a pier, I remember it swaying in the wind and thinking what do I look like? - It worked though and I caught, every time I go sea fishing using coarse gear and baits I have to laugh when I get a fish or two.

Most days I'm doing something a bit weird to be honest, it's all a bit of fun after all, I think if I had any money I'd be eccentric but I'll settle for mad, whatever you do to get that bait out there is a means to an end and that's justified all day long.

Also unconventional means your'e doing something different - That's an edge right there

Line Clip

I get slated all the time in our club matches for dropping a method feeder tight in the margin almost by my nets, and catching a munter or two, they keep telling me to use a pole, but , I have confidence in the tactic , and it works for me so I shall carry on taking the flack.
Might just add the banks are well under cut and the feeder is put tight under the bank,