Slider rod for stillwaters.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Is that the GTI stepped up blank?
Are they designed as a specimen river Barbel trotting rod?
Yes l believe that they are similar. Was sold it as power float +2. Made by George Howell.
Also used them as float rods when it was float only at Sywell punching out 10 or 12 ssg 70 yds.

Slider.

I got it from future fishing, not the 13ft it is the 14ft and yes it is very light ..20grms lighter than an Acolyte and imo a much better action 20200313_181448.jpg
Thanks very much for that. I honestly thought the Acolyte was the lightest 14ft match rod ever produced. What made you decide to go for Rive?

SteveAmo

Thanks for that. I remember James Robbins did an excellent slider video a few year's back when he was with Shakespeare. Would you say the Cadence rod is as good a quality as the Drennan?
Yes the quality of the Cadence rod is excellent value for money & beats the Drennan hands down every time.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@SteveAmo have you just used the ultralight matchpro from drennan or the acolyte ultra as well? I find the ultralight matchpro only slightly better than the cadence so I can see how you might prefer the cadence to it but the acolyte ultra is quite considerably better than the cadence for me.

As I said before the cadence does have a slightly more powerful blank than the acolyte ultra (and maybe even the matchpro tbf) so is probably more of an allrounder rather than an out and out silvers rod like the acolyte ultra is so it might not be a direct comparison but I do prefer the acolyte all round. I'm pretty sure I'll buy another acolyte but will only buy another cadence if they have another big sale.

SteveAmo

Not used the Acolyte Ultra so can’t comment on that model sorry.

@SteveAmo have you just used the ultralight matchpro from drennan or the acolyte ultra as well? I find the ultralight matchpro only slightly better than the cadence so I can see how you might prefer the cadence to it but the acolyte ultra is quite considerably better than the cadence for me.

As I said before the cadence does have a slightly more powerful blank than the acolyte ultra (and maybe even the matchpro tbf) so is probably more of an allrounder rather than an out and out silvers rod like the acolyte ultra is so it might not be a direct comparison but I do prefer the acolyte all round. I'm pretty sure I'll buy another acolyte but will only buy another cadence if they have another big sale.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Thanks very much for that. I honestly thought the Acolyte was the lightest 14ft match rod ever produced. What made you decide to go for Rive?
I tried them at a fishing show and was very impressed, personally I do not like the action of the Acolytes just a personal thing but I find them a bit on the soft side in the middle section so I looked for something else, I got the chance of the 14ft at a bargain price so took a punt and was very impressed when it arrived, I also have a 14ft R Elite which not as nice as an R Waggler it is still a very nice rod. Once France gets it act back together I fully intend to order a 13ft R Waggler light...you can get them for around £250 depending on exchange rates and special offers

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’m going to sound really stupid (just for a change) but what’s slider fishing?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Basically a float that slides on the line for use in deep water bit like a pike or sea float. Or for it to be more eloquently put see below lol

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
@Slider. Here is the reel Alan uses in the Slider Video in the For Sale section:
https://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/shimano-ci4-reel.220367/

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
I realise slider fishing in the UK is no longer as popular as once was. But was wondering if any member's still fish the method and what rod do they currently use.
I'm looking for a top quality 14ft rod specifically for slider work on deep stillwaters, not for river fishing. It needs to pick up line quickly at distance and have the backbone to launch sliders using 5 - 6lbs main line.
Also a current rod not a discontinued model.
Currently looking at the following -
Colmic Superior class 14ft
Trabucco ENERGHIA XR 14ft
Garbolino Essential match slider 14ft
Drennan Acolyte plus 14ft
Also looking for suggestions for a top quality 4000 size reel to cope with the rigours of casting and retrieving heavy sliders.
Any suggestions and recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks

Sorry I can't answer you directly as I've never owned a 14' float rod. I have fished a slider on a frequent basis since the 1970's and until recently always used a 13' heavier match style rod.

However for lightweight floats up to 7 or 8g at short range I'd use a Drennan 13' Matchpro if after silvers. For heavier work at distance I used a Preston Carbonactive 13'.

The last few years I have been using a Cadence 15' #1 at any distance with floats to 10g and it is wonderful for bream and roach work.

Last year I purchased a Cadence 13' #3 rod mainly for general float work on rivers but having used it for heavy slider work it is now my go to rod. Perfect to 10g - 15g floats at 40 to 60 yards but with sufficient feel and action to enjoy playing even small silvers.

Reelwise I use a Daiwa Whisker 3102 always loaded with 0.20mm line. Although not a 4000 size reel it does seem to have as large a spool as my Shimano Exage 4000. Plenty of far better reels out there but I am happy with the feel and balance of the Whisker plus I know that should it need a service, Daiwa are first class with after sales care.

Having said all of this I am very tempted for a 14' slider rod and am considering a Cadence 14' #2. and plan to visit a Cadence roadshow, once restrictions are lifted, to try one.

david white

Site Supporter
Minkyandbear
Having said all of this I am very tempted for a 14' slider rod and am considering a Cadence 14' #2. and plan to visit a Cadence roadshow, once restrictions are lifted, to try one.

Whilst I’m not anything other than just an enthusiastic pleasure angler and definitely not an ambassador for Cadence I have to admit with the decreasing availability of Normark rods I have many Cadence rods and as yet I can’t fault any, the 14 ft #2 would make a very good slider rod ( equally at home with big sticks and balsa ( bolo ) floats or larger tench etc too ) and not overly expensive ( especially if bought during an offer promotion )
Are they better than brand X or Y or Z ? imho that’s always subjective if your happy with your purchase why look to compare, if your striving for perfection you’ll be forever looking, comparing and wondering ( instead of just enjoying the fishing ? food for thought maybe, well I think so )

grey

Site Supporter
I still fish the slider, but all the rods I use are old tricast 14 or 15’ spliced tip rods. They’re typically fast and therefore very stiff in the blank right to the top section. I dare say the modern tricast rods are as good for the job assuming you get a spliced tip.