Slider problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

n/a1

deleted
Hi!

For slider fishing I have always used a shot pattern with a single shot on top and the bulk 20-30 cm below. This works well without any tangles. The disadvantage is the casting accuracy. To improve this I have started to let the float slide to the bulk (5-6 SSG). My casting accuracy have improved a lot with this shotting pattern but now I have lots tangles instead. The tangles are caused by the float propelling when casting out. I use a swivel a attachment.

Any suggestions?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi AndreasS and welcome on board

The man in the know for slider fishing is Ian Heaps and the method that he used successfully is assuming a rod length of 12-13ft, from the hook up place a single number 4 or 6 a foot from the hook, place the bulk shot 2 foot from this and allow the float to rest on it for casting.
Use a thicker line as a stop knot and whip it to your main line similar to tying a spade end hook.
Cast beyond your baited area and just as the float is about to hit the water, stop the line. This will cause the hooklength to lay beyond the float and bulk shot.
Wind back to your baited area, lift your rod and let the mainline slide until the float cocks.

A very successful method and one that is often overlooked.

Regards, Dave

Ray Owen

'Nomad'
Hi AndreasS and welcome.

I fish a inland dock a few times a year, it is approx 45 feet deep for this i use a polaris float with a 3/4oz bomb using 4lb main line and 2lb hook length and for fishing at range and indeep water it works a treat.

Method:

Place main line though hole in top of float

Thread on glass bead to main line

now connect mainline to eye of weight

Push float and bead approx 4ft up the main line

using a four turn water knot attach hook lenght to mainline in a pathanositer (spelling) setup then attach hook.

Cast out to required distance (the whole rig will sink )

slowly feed out line until the tip of the float is just showing and away u go. You can change the bomb to a cage feeder if required

Hope this makes sence

tight lines

Ray

where there is one bream there are many more

exponent

My apologies for criticism in my first post ...

Isn't Ray's rig description above a 'tether rig'. What happens if the main line breaks above the water knot to the paternoster?

The fish ends up towing around a lead ... right? Or have I missed the point here?

Ta,

EXP

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi exponent and welcome on board

It's a valid point that you have made and I suppose technically it could be likened to a tether rig. In this case though the hook length is substantially weaker than the mainline so the first thing to break would be the hooklength unless the mainline got snagged.
A modification to it may possibly be the addition of a weak link to the weight?

Regards, Dave

exponent

Thanks Dave,

Why not do what's suggested but go for :

main line ---- sliding stop knot --- bead --- swivel to 90 degree(helicopter/paternoster) hook length ---- bead --- sliding stop knot --- bomb

What Ray suggested IS a tether rig ... the weak/rotten bottom idea sucks.

EXP

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Do you mean something like this:

rig1.gif

(Sorry about the quality it's the quickest I've made up an image and loaded it to the server yet
)

When I said a weak link I didn't mean a rotten one, just one of a lower breaking strain than the main/hook

Dave

exponent

Perfect Dave,

The original suggestion was a fixed knot ...

That's exactly what I meant.

EXP

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi EXP,

I suppose it would also improve presentation as well
One to try Ray

Dave

Ray Owen

'Nomad'
Hi Gents,

Until this was pointed out it never dawned on me that this could happen. The post was intended to help out a fellow angler not to present a rig that would be towed around by any fish. I have never heard of a tether rig until now and what's more will not use it again, it just goes to show that after 30yrs fishing u are not to young to learn.

tight lines

Ray

where there is one bream there are many more

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Good man Ray,
It takes a lot to admit that one's never too old to learn.
That's a great example of what this site is all about.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

exponent

Fair play Ray,

The rig I described also allows depth changing with real ease ...

Thanks for being so open to criticism.

EXP

Steve Randles

..and if a fish breaks your mainline.. you might just kill it too!..still makes up for not catching it doesn't it..

Tight Lines

Steve Randles

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Steve and welcome on board

I suppose the fairest way of all would be to attach the bomb to a link with a swivel on. Pass the mainline through the swivel eye and then a bead with a stop knot or leger-stop before tying to the hooklength.
That way the mainline would run free should a break occur.

I remember we spoke sometime back re tether rigs and for anyone who wants to see some there is some info here on Steve's site Click Here

Regards, Dave

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Steve,
First of all welcome,Please feel free to expand this thread,and any others.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Steve Randles

Isn't Ray's rig ..... a 'tether rig'. What happens if the main line breaks above the water knot? (S.R well the fish gets to carry sometning unnatural around for the rest of it's now shortened life.)

The fish ends up towing around a lead ... right? Or have I missed the point here? (S.R nope not entirely, eventually the the trailing weight will catch on something then the poor fish will starve to death or die by predation.)

Hmmmmm....

Tight Lines

Steve Randles

Status
Not open for further replies.