Slider fishing (a new boy!)

Hi I'm new to this forum so may be in the wrong section but I'm about to try slider float fishing but can only really find advice for still or slow moving rivers. Is it a method that won't work on deep medium paced waters? (River Derwent N Yorks)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Are you thinking of waggler or stick float slider fishing ? I ask as years ago I used to fish the Ouse at Acaster Malbis near York with home made sliding stick floats. The float in question was a Dick Clegg ( Britannia products ) 7 number 4’s. I whipped two tiny pole float eyes to it. One where the top rubber would sit and one on the bottom which I whipped on and then bent to the side. The swim I used to enjoy fishing was around 15’ deep. I found fishing up to two rods out was about the maximum with this method.

JayD

Hi and welcome to the forum.
It's a few years since I fished the Derwent, mainly around Kexby, and Low Catton, where it was around 12 to 15 ft deep. Like Mick, I used a home made sliders, but mine were solid balsa, taking anything from a couple of AA to a couple of SSG, depending on flow. A home made small eye whipped near the top, but I used a slightly bigger eye for the bottom. Two slider knots for security, bulk shot 3-4 ft from hook, with a No4 six inches above it, and 2-3 droppers spaced out below. Caught the usual suspects, roach, dace, gudgeon, bream, perch, and occasional chub, never found the elusive barbel though.
I've been meaning to head back over there, it's a fair run from Leeds, but I'll have to make the effort.

John.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
It's a few years since I fished the Derwent, mainly around Kexby, and Low Catton, where it was around 12 to 15 ft deep. Like Mick, I used a home made sliders, but mine were solid balsa, taking anything from a couple of AA to a couple of SSG, depending on flow. A home made small eye whipped near the top, but I used a slightly bigger eye for the bottom. Two slider knots for security, bulk shot 3-4 ft from hook, with a No4 six inches above it, and 2-3 droppers spaced out below. Caught the usual suspects, roach, dace, gudgeon, bream, perch, and occasional chub, never found the elusive barbel though.
I've been meaning to head back over there, it's a fair run from Leeds, but I'll have to make the effort.

John.
Jay,

Thanks for the advice. It's looking like the slider is worth trying on moving waters so I'll give it a go. Old dog learning new tricks!!