Slapping and tapping

irvouk

A genuine question. Just read a set of match rules for a fishery in Norfolk and it specifies that slapping is allowed but tapping isn't (the pole must remain above the water at all times). Why would they allow one and not the other when both simulate bait hitting the water. Why would tapping the pole on the water give an angler an unfair advantage over an angler who is only slapping his rig?

Keith Sparky

Site Supporter
Its to make sure those difficult to catch large crafty F1's that frequent the top 6 inches of water don't get a bash on their heads from 16m of carbon....other than that its seems odd !

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Its just a fishery rule like no floating pole the owners of the water are often advised by anglers they trust as to what should not be allowed.

irvouk

Its just a fishery rule like no floating pole the owners of the water are often advised by anglers they trust as to what should not be allowed.
A genuine question Ken, why would an angler advise that tapping shouldn't be allowed? I don't often match fish and sometimes don't understand the reasons behind some of the rules.

carphauler

Most likely because you would be feeding less or not at all which 1,doesn't feed the fish and they can't live on fresh air and 2,you're not buying fishery pellets, this rule was on most of the venues I used to fish in the Midlands.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
One place banned pouring water in from cad pots to simulate feeding .
The week after anglers were turning up with super soaker style water pistols to aim at their float.

George Jones

Site Supporter
Most likely because you would be feeding less or not at all which 1,doesn't feed the fish and they can't live on fresh air and 2,you're not buying fishery pellets, this rule was on most of the venues I used to fish in the Midlands.
That just isn't the case. Any angler tapping for F1's is likely to feed heavy. I would expect to use up to a gallon of Maggot in a 5 hour match.

George Jones

Site Supporter
It's more likely that the owners are getting moaned at by anglers who can't do it, or wont do it because it requires a lot of feeding. A gallon of either maggot or caster isn't cheap nowadays and if anglers do go for it the others are struggling to compete for about 8 months of the year.

George Jones

Site Supporter
It may well not be but these are reasons I have heard for the rule, where did I mention F1 fishing?
What other species would respond to tapping? You might get the odd little silver until the F1s rock up but they're not worth targetting if you're after a weight.