SKYLARKS FORTNIGHT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Brian

Yes it is over for another year, two weeks of 7-00am starts and midnight finishes (later some nights) 11days of fishing regardless of weather conditions, they had paid for a fishing holiday so that is what they wanted to do. What was it? Skylarks fishing fortnight of course! 37 disabled guests went fishing for at least one day complete with an helper to sit and fish with them, some helpers to care for them and most important some helpers walking around supplying teas, coffee and sarnies.
After a good breakie we would set off to the venue in a large van laden with enough gear for 50 plus fisher folk our aim to set it all up at the pegs before the arrival of the coach. As the holiday went on we were tiring and getting slower, the guests were getting keener and arriving earlier. A bit frustrating for those whose gear was not set up but no one was upset as we were there for a good time (for most the results didnt matter as long as they caught fish). Fishing started as soon as they got to their peg, safely staked down (yes we have had them fall in safely strapped into their wheelchair) and the helper with them. We finished fishing in time to weigh in, load the coach, pack the gear into the van and get back to the centre for 7 oclock dinner (we dont want to upset the chef!) Later in the bar, indulge in a bit of the amber nectar, discuss the days catch and plan the next days trip.
This was repeated for eleven days and is why the helpers were wilting towards the end.
The question most asked was will we beat last years record weight of 882 lb. At one point I thought we might but it would be close. How wrong can one be! Every one pulled out the stops on the last day on chestnut lake at Foston and we weighed 306 lb 3oz of fish to give a total for the fortnight of 1124 lb 11ozs (where would we have been without the 11 oz caught by a MD!!!).
The venues we use are very accessible to the disabled and we do have help to push them to their pegs. Derby School Lake, run by Rykneld angling club, as been a favourite venue of the guests for some years. This year it was suggested as a good route for a Derby bypass! (Club members in attendance agreed.) We did have fish to 11 lb out of it but the weight for the days of 38-10, 59-11, 63-13 & 36-7 were well down on previous years totals. The largest fish of the fortnight was caught here, an11 lb mirror caught on a 4-metre whip, No 8 elastic, 4 lb line to a 16 hook. The whip cost 8 quid so her who must be obeyed is not too chuffed at the amount I spend to do the same job!
We are always made welcome by John & Joy at Straight Mile Fishery. The first day we caught 176- 2 of chub, carp & barbell. These were mainly on the far bank so those with feeder rods faired better than others (see the report by teepee on Memorable day) The best weight of the day was 33-3 which won Ernie (88yrs young and a Skylarks veteran) a Straight Mile sweat shirt donated by John & Joy. The second visit produced 50-5 There were three dry nets (one was mine Geoff so I will not mention your 11 ozs at Derby again) but with the rain going horizontal down the lake it was decided to pack it in and get back to the centre to dry out.
Derwent Lake at Makins produced 98-2 & 127-10 mainly on the long pole but some were caught on the near bank. The sun shone, it was hot and all the gear was dried out from the previous days down pour.
The duck farm at North Scarle is a new venue to skylarks. I have fished it before, as it is only 7miles from home. 44-1 was caught but watch the result next year as the pasties will be bigger and we will know how to fish it.
Skylarks have used Willow lakes at Foston for nearly 20 years. We fished Ash Lake on the first visit and landed 123-11 of carp to 7-1. The best peg weight being 35-5.
The next visit we were met by Geoff the owner saying there was a problem with Ash Lake as too much cat food had gone in he had fish dying (the enviroment agency were there checking every thing and it will be sorted) so we moved on to Chestnut & Hawthorn lakes and had the best day ever for Skylarks. With an average of aprox 13 lb per peg and a top weight of 41-6 (helped by yours truly to make up for my blank) a total of 306-3 was recorded. Guess which lake they all want next year? None of the guests or helpers knew their weights on that day as a secret weigh in was done so the surprise was there on presentation night.
On to presentation night. We gave out 13 trophies which were for: - champion, Best Gent, Best Lady, Best Newcomer, Best over the two days at Foston. Biggest fish at Foston, Biggest fish at Derby School, Biggest fish of the fortnight. Most improved, Biggest Bream Most outstanding effort, Best days catch and the one no one wanted the best tangle award.
After the formalities on to the bar, karaoke machine, out plenty of fluids and try and keep awake (some did till 3ish)
This holiday would not be possible with out the help of many people. It has been a pleasure meeting MDs and joining in on the web site. Many guests and volunteers appreciate the support given by the members and will join you on the site. I will pop down to the Trent fish in to meet more of you and to give my thanks in person.
I am positive that with your support Skylarks fishing fortnight will go from strength to strength.
Thanks from all at Skylarks.

PS There will be some photos when I get them from my son next week and also a full result sheet.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Brian

11 ounces!! I am surprised the catch weighed that much. My excuse is I couldn't concentrate with Edith chatting in one ear and looking at the attractive Michelle. I think you did that to me on purpose.

I had a great time and I admire you for all the work you put in. God willing I will be there to help next year.

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Nice one Brian,
Very Well done and thank you for the report.

I will be bringing some gear for you to the Trent Fish-in and will be posting full directions to the venue later this week.

Anyone else attending, who has spare kit to help these guys out will have our thanks.

Look forward to seeing you on 28th / 29th, or both!

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Enough! I'm off!

Big Brian

I have been imformed today that this years winner of the fishing fortnight, Tony Stanbrook, sadly passed away this morning.
Tony had been a regular on the fishing for many years. he appreciated all that we did for him & this gave us the inspiration to keep going and help at this event. many of us who help refer to all at skylarks as one big happy family, Tony was part of that family.
I will always remember the smile when he was presented with the winners trophy only 7 short days ago. He will be sadly missed by all who knew him.we have lost a friend.

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Nice that the SKYLARKS brought a smile, R.I.P. Tony.

teepee.

boydweddell

It comes with great sadness to hear the news of Tony's death, as Brian says he was a stalwart of Fishing Fortnight and will be sorely missed. My thoughts and wishes go out his family and friends especially Linda and Peter. If you are in contact with this site Brian is going to keep me posted as to the arrangements and I will make every effort to be there.
God rest Tony you will be sadly missed.

Boyd.

Boyd Weddell

Big Brian

The Photos have arrived so here goes

This is the lake at Derby School. note the lily pads between each peg.. guess where the fish run to.

Big Brian

Edith,Michelle and some MD trying to catch fish!!!!

George Strange plays a Derby carp.

Jason Millard with his catch of 41-6 of Foston carp.

Dave Finnigan into another Foston carp

This years winner Tony Stanbrook with his trophies.
Sadly Tony passed away seven days after this photo was taken. The memory of him will always be present at Skylarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.