Sky tv no satellite signal

pikey123

Signed up with sky and had the system installed yesterday (5th) everything was fine but when i tried to put bbc on the no satellite signal came up.We had watched a film before this so it was working but now i cannot get any channels at all.i have gone into settings which says there is a network connection but no sattelite signal.
i have been in touch with Sky and the earliest they can get an engineer round is 21st dec. is there any way of checking the feed to try and find where the problem lies as i have looked and all connections inside the house look fine.I am unsure as how to up the complaint to get an engineer here earlier than in 15 days.I am at a loss as how to progress my complaint as 15 days is riduclous.

DavC1h

Site Supporter
Have you checked that the "source" setting is correct? Usually should be on the HDMI channel.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
My TV has 3 HDMI sockets, make sure if you have multiple sockets you are on the right one.

And when you contact them just tell them it is a failed installation and if they want your custom the engineer should get back and do his job properly.

Total

Site Supporter
Did you watch the 'film' on your DVD player?:unsure: .....If so, turn the DVD player off.(y)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Get them on the phone and tell them to get out and fix it or they can come and get their box and you'll cancel the contract

frankg

Site Supporter
Has the dish moved out of alignment? Check they tightened the brackets up and it hasn't moved.
  1. You could try a re-scan of the satellite.
  2. Check the F Connector (the silver thing on the end of the cable) is securely located in the back of the box and that it's fitted to the end of the cable securely.
  3. I don't know where they've located the dish, but check there's nothing blocking the line of sight to the satellite
  4. Check the LNB (the thing on the end of the dish arm(s) is ok....not loose and is connected ok
  5. Oh yes....and make sure you're on the right source on your TV......ie. the correct HDMI socket

Wise Owl

Account Locked
We been having trouble with Virgin the last week with internet. Not getting charged for it though even though it’s been more on than off.

DFL

Site Supporter
Before you do any of the above turn off your sky box, wait thirty seconds and switch it back on, it often does the trick.

if you are new to satellite tv it is vulnerable to severe weather conditions and will often lose signal but not normally for very long.

jason39

As said above, actually unplug from the wall wait 30 secs to minute then plug in and switch on. It does a reset.

frankg

Site Supporter
Before you do any of the above turn off your sky box, wait thirty seconds and switch it back on, it often does the trick.

if you are new to satellite tv it is vulnerable to severe weather conditions and will often lose signal but not normally for very long.

In satellite....size matters, Sky dishes are very small and are easily knocked out by heavy rain.
The bigger the dish the less affected they are. Mine is a ground mounted 1m Channel Master....never bothered by the weather :)

DFL

Site Supporter
I have read that if you cover the feed horn with a plastic bottle it improves the signal during bad conditions, whether it’s an old wives tale I don’t know.

frankg

Site Supporter
I have read that if you cover the feed horn with a plastic bottle it improves the signal during bad conditions, whether it’s an old wives tale I don’t know.

just get a bigger dish :D

It's the size of the dish that matters as far as signal strength is concerned. The bigger the dish, the more signal is gathered...the LNB/Feedhorn then collects the signal coming from the dish.
For example...my dish is 1m ....if I replaced that with a 1.2m dish, it would increase my signal by about 50%.......size matters :D

Last edited:

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I think the first thing to establish is what part of the set-up is saying you are not getting a signal. Is it the TV saying it is not getting an input signal or is it the Sky box saying no satellite signal?

If the TV then that suggests a problem with the link from Sky box to TV. Could be, as suggested, the wrong source being selected on the TV. Or, if the signal goes via a DVD player the DVD player could have an incorrect source setting.

If it is the Sky box saying no satellite signal then you need to do the simple re-boot as suggested first. Then check that something isn't blocking line of site between the dish and the satellite*. I had that happen when pigeons started building a nest on the dish. Unlikely on a 24hr old installation. Then check all cables.

Digital signals are unreliable in my experience in that thick cloud/heavy rain & snow blocks the reception. And I find it interesting that the talk of switching off AM/FM radio broadcasts and putting everything on DAB has gone quiet.

* Funny work story. The building I used to work in had a beamed comms link with a telecoms tower in Northampton. It didn't occur to anyone that the new Barclaycard headquarters was being built in the line of sight. Eventually the builders added the top floor and our comms failed. I suggested they ask the builders to open a window in front and back of the building to let the signal through. Didn't get a great deal of support for that idea. The solution was to bounce the signal off another tower and around the Barclaycard building.