Sky digi box question

Sportsman

Site Supporter
We are looking at getting a house over here prepared for holiday letting and I have a quick question concerning Sky set top boxes. There are loads of 2 or 3 year old Amstrad sky boxes for sale on ebay that seem as if they could work to give access to free to air channels. Some say they come with cards, others say you don't need one. Does anyone know which is right?
The other idea is that if customers want to bring their own sky card with them, they can just put it into the box and have access to full service. We do have a functioning dish.
Anyone know what the facts are or what might be the best way?
Thanks

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
A Sky box with no card will give you the basic Freeview channels. If somebody brings their own Sky card to use in your Sky box, they will get exactly the same channels that they get at home in their own box

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Thank you John.
That was my understanding, but I haven't had anything to do with Sky for 20 years, so it's nice to get it confirmed.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
You have to have the box paired with the card. So if for instance, a customer brought their card, you'd have to phone sky with the card number so they can pair it with that box.
We bought a second box for the pub recently (second hand) and had to do just that.

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
You’re absolutely right, you need to pair it with the box. It’s pretty straight forward & takes minutes & can be done using the remote, online or using the app:

Kojak

You have to have the box paired with the card. So if for instance, a customer brought their card, you'd have to phone sky with the card number so they can pair it with that box.
We bought a second box for the pub recently (second hand) and had to do just that.
You can program the card to the box yourself without ringing Sky, just via the remote control through settings ?

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Thanks for all the info.
I am now sorted. I was talking about this to a neighbour yesterday and he had one he hadn't used for years. I bought it off him for as a bottle of wine (local currency), set it up and it works perfectly for the free channels. In fact, it is much better than the set top box I have been using. I will have to get another one (y)