Skrettens expander pellets.

Fishfinderuk

I've just bought a bulk sack of 4mm expanders.ive been experimenting with a few different ways to try and get them just a tad firmer.
1.I pumped just enough until they just start to sink,drained straight away, and straight in a bag,straight in the fridge.
2.repeted same process and oiled with pellet soak.
3.i put a batch in a bag,add just enough water,then air tight I the fridge.
4..same as no3,but added a good amount of pellet soak.
I keep getting the exact same result, just bog standard expanders.(well good for a soft expander),than is I'm trying to get a firmish pellet.and ideas greatly appreciated.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
The whole point of expanders is they're soft, you could maybe try some gelatine.
Prefer a banded hard pellet myself.

Fishfinderuk

The whole point of expanders is they're soft, you could maybe try some gelatine.
Prefer a banded hard pellet myself.
Yes I aware what expanders are for.i just asked the question on best way to make them little more durable for staying on the hook.
Its just not quite there yet to be fishing hard pellet on the venue I fish.
The venue i fish has a large amount of skimmers,and most of the matches can be won with them,even in summer,but at present I'm finding 14mtr + is working best,and I been catching well,but also missing a fair few,and coming back empty to re bait.im just wanting to be more efficient hence me asking.......I also prefer fishing a banded hard pellet,but its just not quite rite at the minute.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I pump the expanders in a syringe once (and some are still floating), shake off the excess water and put them in a corner of a plastic bag and squeeze out all the air by twisting the bag. Leave them overnight and they are good to go the following day. They are much firmer when you put them on the hook but you will have to gently squeeze them in a baitbox full of water so that they sink. It works for me F1 fishing, staying on the hook when missing bites.

Attachments

• 20210320_003024.jpg
    20210320_003024.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 6

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I've just bought a bulk sack of 4mm expanders.ive been experimenting with a few different ways to try and get them just a tad firmer.
1.I pumped just enough until they just start to sink,drained straight away, and straight in a bag,straight in the fridge.
2.repeted same process and oiled with pellet soak.
3.i put a batch in a bag,add just enough water,then air tight I the fridge.
4..same as no3,but added a good amount of pellet soak.
I keep getting the exact same result, just bog standard expanders.(well good for a soft expander),than is I'm trying to get a firmish pellet.and ideas greatly appreciated.
Melt gelatine in hot water ,let cool to room temp or colder ,use that water to pump pellets . You can use plain gelatine or jelly flavoured cubes

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The following is an extract from my blog on Fishing the Pellet

Preparing expanders for the hook takes a little more work. I like to use gelatine to soak my pellets. The added toughness the gelatine brings gives me confidence plus if the pellets dry slightly on my side tray they will toughen up a little but still sink.

I used to use gelatine in sachets from the supermarket. But since that has become difficult to find I have bought a bulk bag (500g, 240 bloom) from an Ebay seller www.mmingredients.co.uk . That has lasted two years and will probably be another year until I need more. I mix one tablespoonful (roughly 10 grammes) of gelatine with 400 mils of hot water. I choose this volume because I store the solution in a 400 mil screw lid storage cup. The gelatine solution stays in the freezer between uses.

I now prepare a batch of three or four day's worth and store them in small cliplock* containers (poundshop - 3 for £1). I let the frozen gelatine defrost for a few hours or overnight and microwave for a couple of minutes until the jelly is a liquid and use in the pellet pump. The liquid should not be too hot as this will destroy the pellets. I find fifty pellets of each size plenty for a day's fishing.

When the cup is half full (or empty?) I make it back up to 400 mils with hot water and add another spoon of gelatine. This way the solution is quite strong and binds the pellets well. I would recommend anyone having problems with pellets staying on the hook to try the gelatine. Of course if you are into flavours you could use jelly. But again use half the water or twice the jelly to get a really firm result.

The way I pump my pellets may be different to what some do. I will pump and release the pressure and most of the pellets will sink. I pump and release once or twice more until all the pellets sink (bar possibly one or two stubborn ones). I then pump again until a few start to rise and then leave for twenty minutes. This ensures that as the pellets fully expand they can release any remaining trapped air and so will all sink in use.

You don't have to prepare that many for a day's fishing. So don't waste money by doing loads. Between fifty and a hundred should see you through a day easily. If you use all that then you will have won the match. I prepare 4 & 6 mils together (plus 2 mils in Winter). They are easily separated in the bait tub. On my side tray they will be kept in a small amount of water. But I only tip a few out at a time and keep the rest in the shade. Left over pellets are frozen for another day. They freeze OK and are still useable when defrosted. If I have a few matches coming up I will prepare two or three tubs and freeze to save time.

* I now use the small tubs I get garlic mayo in from the local pizza shop with my pizza.

The full blog on pellets can be found here

JLK

I'm not joking when I say this but you should take some dead pinkies with you and feed these with your micros.
Then if you are catching well on expander switch to double/triple pinkie. You'll empty it if they are feeding well.