Skoda Octavia tdi estate Scout/vrs

slappy2

After new estate car for the Mrs as the good old vw Passat estate Mrs nearly killed LoL!
Mrs had Skoda Octavia before and likes the vrs tdi but wondered if anyone on here has one or the scout models we got up to 9-10k as buying property at the moment too so watching the pennies.But any other good cars anyone can recommend for family of 4 estate with good mpg and bit power would be great
Cheers james

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Peugeot 308 SW 1.6 Blue Diesel. Had one for nearly 2 years under mobility scheme. Excellent engine, and a great car, loads of room with plenty of ooomph.

slappy2

We had a 307 1.6hdi before was fine til dpf blocked and ended up costing bomb!
Lot short trips never helped suppose,
Mrs wants German again

crowder

Hi mate,
Can't say about estate cars but I have just bought a VW Golf and it's fantastic, what about a golf estate?
If you aren't doing enough miles to warrant a diesel then the 1.4 tsi engine they do is an absolute peach of an engine, I absolutely love mine.

slappy2

We did say about the golf funny enough too!!
We have a pop up hard top trailer tent which we’re use now an then so why as well said about little power,
Think we will have a good look today and see what happens.
What mpg are you getting in the golf mate??
Cheers James

nejohn

Site Supporter
Merc C class estate...might cost a little more to buy but will be worth much more when you come to sell on, we have had 1 for 4 years it's now 10 years old all we have done is 1 set of tyres, a set of brake pads and a couple of headlight bulbs , again just gone through MOT 1st time with no advisories and believe it or not the servicing at a Merc dealer is cheaper than a VW and much cheaper than her previous civic. Plus much nicer to drive

floatfisher44

With many VAG engines including the 1.4 Petrol, watch if it's the Cam Belt or Chain Cam.
If Cam belt, they say good for the life of the engine when you buy the car. But in practice as per various entries on forums by owners after the warranty period the dealers tend to say, to be on the safe you should change then after 4 or 5 years. If you don't you risk a break and a reconditioned engine. Cost can be anything up to close to £500 for service and Cam belt rollers and water pump change.
Take that into your costings if you buy VAG.

slappy2

With many VAG engines including the 1.4 Petrol, watch if it's the Cam Belt or Chain Cam.
If Cam belt, they say good for the life of the engine when you buy the car. But in practice as per various entries on forums by owners after the warranty period the dealers tend to say, to be on the safe you should change then after 4 or 5 years. If you don't you risk a break and a reconditioned engine. Cost can be anything up to close to £500 for service and Cam belt rollers and water pump change.
Take that into your costings if you buy VAG.
Cheers mate for info!
The old Pd 130 got great lump still pulls like train,just Mrs had a fight with at front pillars coming in ?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I have an 08 Laurin and Klement Octavia 5door (not estate) 2.0l TDi it's quite nice... only had it four months...
Pro's
heated seats
rear parking sensors
huge boot area
nice handling
frugal, averaging 54mpg at the mo
driving computer (mpg, mileage, etc)
very adjustable drivers seat with memory settings
heated mirrors
Leather/alcantara seats all round
Bloody good headlights

Cons
heated seats busted, cost to repair £2k.... Kin ouch (I'll poke up with a cold 'arris ta)
hideous road noise from low profile tyres
small mirrors
other than the boot not a lot of storage space
alloy wheels mark easily
tyre prices a bit steep
Servicing costs dearer than Fords
original radio/cd (with autochanger) absolute pants, swapped for a DAB

hope this helps

jason39

Octavia VRS is one of the best family cars you can buy. On my 2nd one, only got rid of the 1st one because i was in a position to have a brand new one.
Fairly quick, enough to put a smile on your face anyway. Loads of room, boot is huge( i have had 2 saloons) and the diesel will do 50+ to the gallon on runs.
My latest one has heated leather, dab radio, parking sensors, sat nav. Only negative i can think of is the harder ride as its a sports model. I will most likely have a 3rd

ChrisJSpen

Had 2 Octavia’s first was 5 door second estate. Much more room than the C class Merc estate I had from work and more fun to drive. Got to be good value for money as well.
Only changed to get the new Kodiaq.
In my view they are well built, similar to other cars in the group and value for money.

slappy2

Mrs is looking at a Ford Kuga tomorrow as liked the Skoda estate just think would like something bit higher now!!
Keeps changing her bloody mind,
Only other thing been worried about is fact new laws with diesel and fact maybe new eco boast Petrol engine might be better!

slappy2

Well Mrs got her new car today!
Spent more then I wanted but should do us
Went for 65plate kuga titanium tdci 11k on clock
Seams ok ?

Lol

Account Closed
Site Supporter
my sister has a fairly new octavia vrs tdi automatic estate which needed a new gearbox with very few miles on the clock! fortunately they had purchased a warranty at the time of purchase and it saved them the best part of £4k.