Skimmers in a flooded perch filled pond?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowder

I need to know what is the best way to catch skimmers, baits, etc, depth, i have been using maggots and casters but cant get away from the perch and corn doesnt seem to produce enough bites im fishing smack on the bottom but cant seem to find them. i had 2 or 3 all weekend last weekend, the rest were perch, the simmers are there in vast quantities i just cant get to them!

missabite

If pellets are allowed then try feeding some micros and fishing a 4 mill expander on the hook. Skimmers love them.

rodring

Account Locked
pellets and groundbait if allowed ,should pull the skimmers in .if pellets are'nt allowed. try liquidised bread and bread punch fished just touching bottom to an inch or two overdepth, vary the size of punch. you could also try luncheon meat. push a can or two through a groundbait riddle ,mix it with fish meal or groundbait fish meat or corn on the hook works for me. hope this helps tight lines

crowder

as far as i know the only bait ban is nuts[:D] and pellets are allowed[:D] what sort of pellets? any particular make?

Thom

try got baits or ringers expanders! if you favour a hard pellet skrettings pellets.

rodring

Account Locked
swimstim 3mil for feed swimstim sinking expanders 4mil both in green. i prepare my simking expanders the night before by putting agood handfull in a bowl cover in water leave leve for 2 minutes drain put them in a plastic bag seal and put in the fridge overnight perfect hookers in the morning not fully expanded they will expand fully in the water nice spongy texture stay on the hook perfect for waggler or tip or long pole

Ricky24

Rich
Dynamite in 3ml are the best in my opinion for feed in conjunction with Groundbait.

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
My favoured bait for skimmers is small feeder pots of liquidised bread flavoured with scopex.
Fish bread using the smallest drennan flake punch to a fine wire 16s/14s .
Crowder you dont need to be hard on the deck for skimmers mate.
They come up in the water for a pastime.

Ady

Formerly Adymon
^ Had a bonus 4lb Bream at a commercial fishing for Carp up in the water at 1ft deep in 6ft of water ;)

Worm as bait, sooo dont know if id have had more targetting them

crowder

Hmmmm, thanks, i was going to liquidise some Corn and fish an expander( thanks missabite) a foot or so off the bottom, or do you think i would maybe be better off fihing on the bottm then working my way up? also do perch take pellets?

missabite

Funnily enough after replying to this i asked a mate last night if he had caught a perch on a pellet. He said he hadn't and neither have I. We have had them on corn and meat. We don't fish any excessively perch stocked pools though.

I would start on the bottom. If after a while of feeding micro pellets you sense that the skimmers are coming off the bottom (liners etc) then i would move the bulk to half depth and have a few shot strung out to try and catch them on the drop. This can sometimes give you the bigger fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.