Skee-Tex

sapperrich

Hi all, does anybody own a pair of the Skee-Tex ultralight boots? 1st are they any good, 2nd should I order correct size or go a size bigger to allow for thick socks? Cheers guys.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
I have just taken delivery of a pair today. I ordered a size bigger and after trying them on, I'm glad I did. My lad has had a pair for a few weeks and loves them. It was his singing of their praises that prompted me to get a pair.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
proper B'stards to walk in, and not that great on liquid mud

watched a guy on next peg at orchard farm (the mud pit) get up off his box, take one step off it, and slide over on the mud,

he fell straight through his brand spanking new airity and his top kit rack, smashed all the top kits and his 5, 6, 7 sections

normally, I woulda thrown a comment his way, but he was almost in tears looking at the damage,

Last edited:

johng19

me@home.com
Dont think theres to much that will grip in liquid mud as you say, had mine years could proberly do with some new inners, other than that spot on.

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Skee Tex wouldn't be without them in winter, used them for many many years for work out in the wilds and for fishing. As I have said on many a post- get an INNER one size bigger when needs replacing, easier to get on foot and into OUTER. No experience of "ultralight" but I do se they do a "ultralight TOUGH" now. As far as walking in them (normal ones) goes - in snow NO PROBLEM but mud and wet grass can be tricky. I have on occasions used a pair of those lightweight Grivel ice gripers on the soles but this was in extreme working where their was a lot of ice.
There was one other TIP I could mention. Socks ! do not make the mistake of thinking thicker means warmth. Your toes need to move NOT be restricted . A THIN pair of liners and a NOT TOO THICK pair of merino wool as this creates an air pocket which warms by moving your feet inside and heat is held in by the fleece liner and insulated by the solid foam base in the rubber outer.
Having too thicker socks constricts movement in the toes and leaves little to no air pocket so you cannot warm up this area. Having constricted movement in the extremities can lead to cold attacking that place. So, we don't want frostbite do we ;)

Last edited:

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have got a pair of Skeetex, sat at the back of the garage, didn’t find them particularly good, decent walking boots and socks or Muckboots and decent socks are warmer in my opinion.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I had some Skee tex years ago when I fished winter league matches. In fact I still have them. Kept your feet warm, but I hated walking in them and have never used them since. I have some Preston thermal wellies and a pair of baffins for when it’s really cold now. Much better.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
Skeetex essex boots keep your toes warm and toasty but they are not brilliant for walking in.
From what iv'e seen of the ultralight boots, i dont think these look toasty at all and have a much thinner sole and liner but they would be better for walking in.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Recommended these before
Just need a pair of normal socks with them and feet stay warm all day - even stood in water

This place has them in stock
About – Carp Crazy Angling Centre
Probably at a better price than AD too

Simon

spark1

Recommended these before
Just need a pair of normal socks with them and feet stay warm all day - even stood in water

This place has them in stock
About – Carp Crazy Angling Centre
Probably at a better price than AD too

Simon

These are the best out of the lot, lightweight and easy to walk in.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Skee tex liners are pure garbage, used to drive me nuts trying to get them back into the boots after everytime l wore them. The liners would not stay in the boot when taking them off. The boots are still in the shed, and if l was ever to wear them again it would be with good quality thermal socks, plus maybe a sellf heating foot warmer, made by Hothands at 69p from Home Bargains, stores. At this time of year l always have the hand warmers in my coat pockets.
Back to footwear l now usually wear lace waterproof boots, with work wear quality thermal socks and foot warmer pads if a cold day is forecast..

chubby chubber

Site Supporter
baffins is the way forward easy to walk in normal socks no more messing with liners getting them on and off not the cheapest but deffinatley 100 percent better than skeetex fact buy once no more cold feet ever fact and my feet are cold in july

Rjays 2

Got the original ones..as stated previous not the best for walking in icy conditions...never wear socks with them as they advised...socks will make your feet sweat and damp!!...Because of this reason there is no need to buy a bigger size...still the best by miles

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
If it works for you whatever your combination , as long as you can warm that "free air" and stop it escaping and your extremities are not restricted -great.(y)

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Agree with the Baffin, they look like the original “ moon boots” a bit bulky but are the warmest, most comfortable with good grip thermal footwear I’ve owned

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I have just ordered a pair of Baffins which should be delivered between 6 and 13 December. A bit pricey (£124 but free postage) but, according to the advice I have received and the comments on this post they should be worth it. I will post my opinion once I have tried them out (according to the forecasts I should get ample opportunity).

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
I have just ordered a pair of Baffins which should be delivered between 6 and 13 December. A bit pricey (£124 but free postage) but, according to the advice I have received and the comments on this post they should be worth it. I will post my opinion once I have tried them out (according to the forecasts I should get ample opportunity).
Just bear in mind Dave, the reason our extremities get cold is that our brain prioritises the blood flow to the vital organs when our body temperature falls, so good thermal layering is essential along with the Baffins