size hook for paste fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishing4life

hi all
wondering what size hook to use for fishing paste and what paste to use i was thinking of getting some of the new sonubaits one to one paste but i thought i'd hang on and ask u fellas first.
thanks mike[:D]

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Big question.. anything really from about a 14 up to a 6 if the bait and fish merit it.

I use the dynamite paste a fair bit - but then I'm often fishing slow (maybe one bite every half hour at the most) so need a paste that'll stay on a little while.

antihero

I generally use a size 10 Maver MT4 for my paste fishing, you're after a bigger stamp of fish plus it helps in keeping the paste on!

You will also find that the type of paste used varies immensely and is a very personal preference, some prefer their own concoctions (I make mine from ground Vitalin, Sensas Crazy Bait and Coshida cat food) and other prefer straight from a packet stuff. I'd say try the one to one just to get used to paste (its very easy to mix right plus people seem to have had good results on it), then take it from there.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
I tend to use a 12 for most of my paste fishing as it does tend to single out the larger fish.
Although the Fox Carp Series 2 hooks that I use do come up a bit bigger than most makes, so its closer to a 10.

If the place Im fishing has a lot of smaller fish (say up to around 4lb max) then I ll drop to a 14 in the same pattern with smaller bits of paste.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
By the way, as for the one to one paste, make sure you mix it thouroughly, cos it can turn out a bit cakey, and if it starts to go a bit sticky, add a drop more water. I know it says its supposed to be 50/50 powder and water, but Ive found it takes a bit more water to make it into a nice consistency[;)]

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I have used a Fox Match 2 size 20 though will normally use a 14. As BPP says, the Fox Match 2 is a big hook for its stated size number

Matt.Newark

I prefer to use groundbait for my paste mix. 50/50 Dynamite Green Swimstim and Marine Halibut.

Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.