Size 10 barbless rule

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
1.5lb maxima was the go to line for waggler fishing on rivers, it’s still a brilliantly versatile line
I'd don't think I'd brave going below 3lb, well maybe 2.5lb at a push. Wouldn't want to risk losing a big perch or chub and I'd lose even more hooks to pike than I already do if my hooklengths were any lighter than the 2lb I generally use 😅

dave brittain 1

1.5lb maxima was the go to line for waggler fishing on rivers, it’s still a brilliantly versatile line
Mark good old days, 1.7 Bayer or 1.5lbs Maxima. When I fished for Greys Imex when we were practicing for the national on the Trent we were all using 5ft 2lb maxima hook lengths on the feeder across for chub as it was hard for the fish to crack you off against the feeder due to the stretch unlike some pre-stretched lines where you'd just reel in to find the hook length missing, (we worked out they were sitting back, up in the water, taking the maggots that came out of the feeder on impact and some of them were big old wise fish).

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Now let me learn you something there mate. If you use use only 1 brand of hook, you won't have to bother tying all the others. Ergo...less grief. :p
🤣🤣. I tie for others as well Peter. I’ve some 22 and 24’s to do tomorrow for a friend of my dads. Usual thing ... guy’s eyesight ain’t good anymore. Nothing good about getting old is there ? 😫

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
🤣🤣. I tie for others as well Peter. I’ve some 22 and 24’s to do tomorrow for a friend of my dads. Usual thing ... guy’s eyesight ain’t good anymore. Nothing good about getting old is there ? 😫
Of course there is. Getting others to tie your hooks because the old eyes or hands are a bit naffed is no bad thing. And while you're tying mine I can have a well earned brew and bikkies. Can you do my 600? No big rush, Wednesday will do. 😬 :p:ROFLMAO:

Total

Site Supporter
If you can see a 22 or 24 hook, you can tie the damn thing!.....Knows you've got a heart of gold and you don't mind tying them......BUT........;):giggle:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Of course there is. Getting others to tie your hooks because the old eyes or hands are a bit naffed is no bad thing. And while you're tying mine I can have a well earned brew and bikkies. Can you do my 600? No big rush, Wednesday will do. 😬 :p:ROFLMAO:
Morning or afternoon ? 🤣🤣

rudd

Site Supporter
Ref your comments :

A smaller hook places more pressure on a smaller area of the mouth
You have to look at the tackle being used. A match angler using a small hook, light rod and light line can only apply so much pressure without being broken. A big hook, big lead and heavy rod can apply significantly more pressure. The key to both is to use balanced tackle and good technique this will land more fish quickly and efficiently than heavier unbalanced tackle and poor technique.

A large barbless has more chance of rotation if line goes slack.
Why would the line go slack? If there's no pressure nothing turns. It is changing angles of the rod to gain leverage while playing the fish and the fish shaking it's head, changing direction or trying to dislodge the hook using a weed bed or the bottom that causes the hook to rotate, not to mention the length of the hook shank and width of the gape. Modern micro barbs will make little difference to rotation it's a fallacy. Ask yourself this if you have a hook with a barb and one without a barb and a lead weight banging up and down on a stop, giving a jack hammer effect, what happens at the point of pressure/impact i.e. the hook hold? Which hook leaves the hole cleanly causing least damage? The smart money would be that the barb being banged about acts like a saw whereas the clean hook is more likely to come out during the fight hence the reason why some speci anglers still don't like using barbless. If you apply enough pressure to a barbed hook, it will rotate exactly the same as a barbless, the only difference is one hook will leave a cleaner wound than the other.

Most syndicate waters have banned barbless in big sizes due to his but on these venues they are generally fishing at distance with heavy rods/lines.
Answered above, however the further you fish out, the heavier the lead and rod, the more chance you have of bouncing a barbless hook out. Some anglers should think more about the mechanics, rather than how many fish they may or may not land. Trout anglers used to have the same arguments however after switching to barbless very few have gone back because the actual amount of lost fish due to barbless hook pulls isn't as high as some think.

Most commercial anglers are fishing no more than 16m on pole most of the time or 40m on another methods using kit where line should never go slack (elastic and reasonably soft rods).
The only time slack line should come into it is if a fish snags you, when you take the bail arm off and wait for it to swim out from the snag. Slack line at any other time is simply bad angling/poor technique. The difference between softer more progressive rods and stiffer rods is simply you can apply pressure more effectively using the whole blank which is like a big sponge, making it much less likely to suffer hook pulls or breakages when using light tackle, however the tackle has to be balanced and appropriate for the swim and size of the fish being targeted.
Whist I agree with or see your points, specimen anglers design rigs where the lead drops off to prevent the banging/bouncing effect.
Some even use rigs where the bait also comes off the hair to stop carp using the bait itself as leverage!

Your point on match anglers, sorry but modern methods can (match carp) put one hell of a strain on fishes mouths.
0.22 line and a say size 14 with an 18 solid elastic is one massive pressure point as a fish belts away from a margin.

Slack line, mainly an issue with the inexperienced but can happen to anyone if a fish changes direction and rod pole angle has to be adjusted or belts it towards the angler - a favourite Ghostie trick I have found!

Micro bards - never used them for any course application but use them when sea fishing, without them due to tide, current and big leads banging about - sea anglers would lose alot of fish.

Said my piece and leaving it at that 😉

rudd

Site Supporter
Now let me learn you something there mate. If you use use only 1 brand of hook, you won't have to bother tying all the others. Ergo...less grief. :p
May I ask.

Is your dream car a porsche model 😉

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
^^ Uhuh, revision 16, part 2.......:oops:
Look 👀 Mark. See what SWMBO got me. My Valentine gift. 👍. She’s a babe bless her. She’s gone up in my estimations. I’d only swap her for a Superlithium now. 😁

Attachments

• B3639755-D026-4219-AFAF-F1382E67322D.jpeg
    B3639755-D026-4219-AFAF-F1382E67322D.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 887C9978-D40B-46AB-ABF3-C48C5ACC3885.jpeg
    887C9978-D40B-46AB-ABF3-C48C5ACC3885.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 9

Total

Site Supporter
Look 👀 Mark. See what SWMBO got me. My Valentine gift. 👍. She’s a babe bless her. She’s gone up in my estimations. I’d only swap her for a Superlithium now. 😁
^^ :love:......Had mine since Christmas, but still make up my mind if the spools are too small yet...:unsure:.....Causing longer hook lengths to curl up etc....Have the original Preston spools in a case and being bigger the hook lengths seem to come off it straighter....

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
^^ :love:......Had mine since Christmas, but still make up my mind if the spools are too small yet...:unsure:.....Causing longer hook lengths to curl up etc....Have the original Preston spools in a case and being bigger the hook lengths seem to come off it straighter....
I don’t think they were designed for cat gut Mark. 😳🤣