Six months on!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
A couple of years ago i wouldn't have given a second thought to the internet,then last year after a lot of pressure from my good lady we got our first PC.
My wife will tell you that i didn't want a PC,but she now complains that she can't get me off it roflmao.gif
Now anyone that knew me would tell you that as an angler i was always quite single minded (some might say selfish) in my approach to our sport.Probably something to do with my matchfishing background.
Anyway some of you will know that i have posted on several forums and still do.Well back in September last year after the demise of a forum that Malc and I used to post on i happened across Maggotdrowning.com.
There were probably only about 40 posters at the time but it soon became apparent to me that this site lacked something found on so many forums...........EGO's and CLIQUES.
Reveiwing things 6 months down the line,this is still the case.The site is growing at a rate that i can only assume that Dave finds rewarding (It's his baby after all)
Most importantly the site has managed to maintain the friendly openness that first attracted me to it,I have to say that it has made me re evaluate the way that i approach my fishing and i hope that i have been able to give something back by way of help and encouragement to other posters,for all the help they have given me.
It's been great to meet some of you,and i hope to meet many more of you in the future.
As far as i'm concerned Home (in a computer sense) is Maggotdrowning .com.

Peter. jumpfish_e0.gif
Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Peter,

I first dicovered Maggot Drowning on the Saturday evening of the Izaak Walton Fishin in December of last year.

I am glad I started to post to here, and had the chance to chat and actually meet with so many of you, and hopefully a few more in the future.

At least on this site nobody sneers at my "if it swims I want to catch it attitude". My idea is if I go to a water I want to pull as many fish as possible from it, never mind the size.

I look forward to Whiteacres (16 days and counting), Semmer Water, Elvington, River Soar and hopefully many more, (and if I can make it Bury Hill)

Thank you all people for your humour, and thank you Red Leader and co for starting it all off.

thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

scouse

'River Man'
hi m8
well put, you know me now how good can it get
LOL

dave
scouse

norm

I BLAME TOMMA
for me finding this site
and i as you peter my wife can not get me off it
the fist thing i do in the morning is check active topics
the first thing i do when i come in from work is check active topics
then i usualy stay on mds till bed time

looking forward to see ya all at either drayton or seemer
see yas later
norm

it isn`t the size of the tiddler that counts

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Nice topic, damn good posts.
A special thank you from me for the way you all have treated me,
made me welcome, taught me so much and shared my fun!

I hope to fish with you all again, many times in the future
and I hope to make you laugh with (and more likely at LOL!) me again and share those disasters!
Sometimes they turn up good!

A special thanks for Dave and Stu, leadership by example is the only way this place can maintain the quality as it grows.

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Why is this site so good??

1) Its all about fishing.

2) Its full of fun n freindly people

3) its owned by a yorkshamun (erm well thats sorta good)

4) no self centred, egotistical, drunken, childish, self important idiots (well apart from me, peter, toma, mook, dave, stu, trev, esox, larry, scoobs, del, ferret, malc, newt & geoff)

5) because it is

6) they've given me POWER (not that i'd abuse it you understand not ever no way not me) devil-flip.gif

Alan
You've just been moderated

ray

me personally, i was introduced to m/ds by geoff after meeting him at w/acres last year, and thanks to the "internet" and more importantly m/ds, i have not only been able to keep in touch with him, but have met up with him again since (at waltons) and am looking forward to teaming up again for some fishin and the "crack" in 16 days time at w/acres.

on a bigger scale, due to my unsocial work hours, i find that i do most of my fishing alone (sob sob, billy no mates) but again thanks to m/ds i now think that even when i am on the banks by myself, i am still fishing with a great bunch of mates, some of whom i have had the pleasure to have met, and some who in the future i will meet.
as has allready been said "it's the people who make this site what it is"

thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

clean banks campaign 2002 still has a few vacancies.....are you a member?
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

Alnath

You can blame Google and a Shimano Feeder rod for my being here. Plus I am a Yorkshire lad and I must expand the Republic of Yorkshires presence on the internet.

John
Its not what you have got, it's how you use it

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote: and I must expand the Republic of Yorkshires presence on the internet.

Hear, Hear, lol

Thanks fellas six months on for me is:

• Even less free time
  • More involvement with my two hobbies
  • Gained many new 'net friends thumbsup.gif
  • Travelled further afield trying out new venues
  • Showed the missus a new side of me - the back of my head, lol Ouch
  • And picked up many new ideas and tips

The site has grown tremendously in both content and traffic since it started life back in February 2001 and become even livelier since putting the forum up in late August/September and ironing out the initial teething problems, oh gawd that's put temptation in the way of the curse roflmao.gif

It can only get better,

Regards to you all, Dave

Del-J

' Victor '
What can I say that hasn't already been said? Not alot says I.
No.1 site and long may it remain so.

Trogg thanks for the compliment nice to be included in such exalted company.

Del.

Edited by - Del-J on 26 April 2002 7:17:55 PM

G

I used to lurke while i was on another forum,looking at the threads and posts made me think , MMMMMMMMM looks good,the members seem a friendly bunch, yes big fella even you[LoL],one night after a bit a argy bargy on the other forum i registered on MDs.
My first impression's when lurking where not wrong,a cracking bunch of lads and lasses.
As a total novice to the PC i have only to pick up the fone for advice or e-mail, never no problem my questions answered in words that i can understand[LoL]

So may i thank Dave for getting the site off the ground and for all the help and advice he has given me, Peter you to mate,your help and advice has helped me improve my "skills"[LoL], and the big fella how can i not mention the Trogg,its true what the members say about you,
a terminator in the first degree,always ready with an insult, but

guess what Allan we have got you sussed, you big softie you

just like to show who's boss.

As for the members what a cracking bunch of blokes,always ready with advice on any subject, no in crowd as with other forums no nastiness just a good bunch of people having fun with one thing in common FISHING,
Long may the site go from strength to strength Dave, thanks a lot

Andy

i'm going fishing

G

4) no self centred, egotistical, drunken, childish, self important idiots (well apart from me, peter, toma, mook, dave, stu, trev, esox, larry, scoobs, del, ferret, malc, newt & geoff)

5) because it is

6) they've given me POWER (not that i'd abuse it you understand not ever no way not me) devil-flip.gif

Alan
You've just been moderated

[/quote]

Thanks for the comliment Trogg

Andy

i'm going fishing

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
well what can i say "YOU BIG BUNCH OF SOFTIE'S" i'm just glad to be involved with it all, some great comments and well deserved,well done to everyone,
p.s. i'm upset cos i'm not on the list.LoL.

teepee.

G

Plenty of time Tony to get on the list, psssst call him see what that does mate [lol}

Andy

i'm going fishing

martin.

Account Locked
hi all
you should all know from some of my prev postings that this is
THEE site for fishing & friendsso ill say no more
PS alan glad you realised that although most of your description fitted me the idiot part didnt so you rightfully missed me off the list. angel2.gif

tight lines.
martin.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
I have no idea whatever how I first got here. Oldtimer's Disease?

But having found the place, I did like it and have been very happy to see the membership and thread count going up.

The lack of nasty posts here is truly amazing though when compared to the other UK angling boards I visit.

One other, carponline, is similar in it's lack of bashing but not similar in terms of the camaraderie here. Until they had an unfortunate software issue (security update by the server owners and most posters could no longer get on) they were also growing and getting active. Hope it recovers.

But MD is a great site and long may it continue.

Even if most of you do speak with those funny accents and use some very strange gear for angling.

Newt Vail

MALC

Totaly agree with all the above comments and the only extra i can add is bash.gif bash.gif bash.gif bash.gif ANYBODY GOT A SPARE ROOM AFTER THE 20th MAY AS I MIGHT NEED IT

WELL DONE DAVE AND CREW AND ALL THE MEMBERS OLD AND NEW

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com bounce.gif

G

quote:
Oldtimer's Disease?

Know what you mean Newt{LoL}

The lack of nasty posts here is truly amazing though when compared to the other UK angling boards I visit.
How true you Johnny Reb{More LoL}

But MD is a great site and long may it continue.
No arguement here Newt
Even if most of you do speak with those funny accents and use some very strange gear for angling.

Whatcha mean funny accents and strange gear, your the one with a funny accent and strange angling gear,

Newt Vail

Andy

i'm going fishing

Adam S

Account Locked
Hello

i only joined this site recently and felt at home straight away,
got lots of helpful replies to any questions i asked , and tried to help when i could too.

MD is now the fisrt thing i click on when i get on line , and then i usually cant get enough (entering this post at 2.32am on a monday morning into the record as an example of this).

hopefully i will get to meet some other MD`s soon and whats even better is that a friend of mine just joined so im no longer the only irishman here,unless theres one i missed.

well done dave and all the other people that makes this site great.

ADAM

Ray Owen

'Nomad'
Hello all,
I have only been on ere for a short time (tks to Dai fish) but in this short time u can sence the good feeling between alot of people, most of which have never met each other, as apposed to othere sites were u seem to be constantly bickering.

Long may it go on

tight lines

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.