Sinking groundbait

matti

Site Supporter
Ok, so over the holidays I'm planning on fishing a fishery which is deep, it originally was a service resivour, 10' out, its at least 10' deep, and id say at the deepest its a good 20'-25'.

I'd usually fish using a ploaris float or cage feeder, and usually catch well

But it got me thinking how much of my groundbait stays in the feeder till it hits bottom, so I was thinking of trying a diffrent approach and maybe trying to stiffen up my groundbait mix, to this end ive been toying with trying loame or groundbait binder, I seen videos of loamy being used so have a rough idea what I need to do, but does anyone have any experience with using ground bait binder, does it work as well as loame, is it worth going it a try?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Also you can make it stiffer, add extra water to make it heavier, then riddle . It will hold in the feeder a lot longer and sink quicker.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Buy a sack of vitalin, or goat feed and blitz it smaller so whennwettrd it adds stickiness.
Or a favourite of mine boil maize flakes to a pulp and add some of that.
Gives a lovely creamy slick,adds stickiness and the fish love it.
Had days when Carp were on the top basking and this draws them down.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
can add oils depending on the time of year and also would tape up the feeder or use a solid plastic one

oiled gbait you can bag in pva or pva mesh as well

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Make your mix 50% brown crumb or vitalin, add liquidised sweetcorn, or even condensed milk, or go heavy on the hemp seed. If handballing in you can add a stone to the centre of the ball 👍🏻

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I remember I tried a different one of the Sensas range on the canal, I think it was Magic, and I was surprised to see after cupping it in that it actually floated on the surface after cupping it in.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I remember I tried a different one of the Sensas range on the canal, I think it was Magic, and I was surprised to see after cupping it in that it actually floated on the surface after cupping it in.
Obviously it’s not thoroughly absorbed the water Zerkalo. First thing you should do when you get to your peg is mix your gb. Magic isn’t the heaviest of gb but, it will respond well to over wetting as will most of the Sensas range.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Obviously it’s not thoroughly absorbed the water Zerkalo. First thing you should do when you get to your peg is mix your gb. Magic isn’t the heaviest of gb but, it will respond well to over wetting as will most of the Sensas range.

Yeah I did think that it was probably the way I mixed it!

matti

Site Supporter
Ta guys, as stop gap, ill get some plastic feeders and give that a go, before I end up buying more ground bait

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Just over wet it , it makes it heavier and will reach the deck mainly intact. No need to buy anything else.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
I add liquid molasses to my deep still water and river groundbaits. It binds the crumb and is beautifully sweet. Plus it's only about £7 for a 5 litres.