Singles or Trebles

Tallshort23

Not been Pike/Zander fishing for a number of years now and was wondering do people still use trebles or are singles more fashionable now? Been watching the Ginger fisherman on youtube and he tends to use singles.

Any thoughts or advise would be welcome.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
many people are swapping over to singles for lures and small deadbaits, or a double (back to back hooks with one smaller hook for nicking into deadbaits) for larger deadbaits... easier to unhook and safer for the fish and don't get tangled in landing nets so easily...

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
I’ve been using singles for a while now with as much success as I had previously with trebles with the added bonus of easier unhooking, no deep hooking and no damage to the fish. Just match the size of the hook to the bait and you’re away!

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Interesting question. I've used singles for some time since Bury Hill fishery - used to be my go-to for Zanders - banned trebles and insisted upon singles. Now, I had an interesting discussion a few weeks ago with someone that I know who's been a long standing member of the Pike Anglers Club. He - and they - are adamant that singles cause more damage due to them hooking into and damaging the scissors.

CarpCatcher86

I guess it depends on the size and profile of the lure. Some of mine have a treble in the middle underneath and some have a single hook on the top. Some have both, but in that case I tend to cut the top hook off as I think it's a bit overkill.

buygoodtackle

Been using singles for last 18months as got fed up with the trebles getting caught in net. Using size 6 and 8 barbless carp hooks now for my deadbaits without issue - far better IMHO