Status
Not open for further replies.

ren180

Is single maggot, or double pinky fished with a small bomb on the
Tip or with a pole with very little loose feed the only way to catch
Carp at a very cold winter match?

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Had em thru the ice on boilies and on cut bait and wouldn't know a bomb if it bit me so certainly not the only way. But may be the best way in lots of places.

Since I've never fished a maggot and never fished in the UK, I really can't say.

Newt Vail

ren180

Thanks Newt.
I'm sure the fishing in the U.S. is alot different to the
U.K and probably better. A bomb is a small lead weight mate.
How's the Bass fishing going out there? A fish we don't have
here inland.....Cheers.....Ren.

matt

Hi Ren, dead maggot often works a treat, pour a bit of coffee (or tea!)from your flask over them, leave a few seconds and then drain off. the bait will now lie motionless on top of the debris on the lake bed. Corn is also a great winter bait, try both single and double grains on the hook and only cup in about a dozen grains to start off with.
But overall, the best winter tip has to be to make sure that you take at least 2 flasks with you! lol[:p]

HEY DUDE............

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Ren - lots of our fishing certainly is different from yours. Some different species as you noted. And generally larger waters.

But ole sister carp is pretty much the same. Not as wary over here probably since it isn't a pressured fish but the same tackle and techniques work just fine.

Largemouth bass (too warm down here for smallmouth) are sorta slow in cold weather. They don't like it much. But I still pick up some every trip. Just have to slow down, size down the lures, and fish deeper.

I have pretty good luck this time of year with a 9 ft limber rod with thru action, 4 lb line, and feathered jigs in white, green, yellow, or some combination and 1/16 to maybe 1/8 oz size jigs. Fish em under a small float rigged to slide free and with a stop knot I can slide to set depth. 10-20 feet deep depending on the location and the recent weather.

I really think this tactic would work in the UK this time of year and on rivers especially. Lose lots of jigs to pike but they are small, cheap, and if you crush the barb, easy for a pike to get rid of.

Bomb - LOL - "small lead weight" takes in a lot of territory.

Newt Vail

Last edited:

fishing_mad

try using a small feeder filled with ground bait and a size 22 hook baited with single maggot or double pinkie

:)Fishing Mad:)

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
fishing_mad - I really envy you young folks who can see those tiny hooks, much less manage to put bait on them. These days, anything much below about a #8 just isn't gonna happen unless I have someone else tie em on and bait em up. :D

Newt Vail

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Here you are Newt,
These may be a little larger than actual size.[:D][:D][:D]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
quote:Originally posted by peter

Here you are Newt,
These may be a little larger than actual size.[:D][:D][:D]
Peter - you are a truly evil man. Imagine putting up a picture and then having nothing showing above the smaller sizes. Trying to make me think I am older than I really am. Evil, that's what it is. Yessir.

ROFLMAO

Besides, who would even want to fish for itty bitty fishy things? I use the #8 hooks to catch bait before I really start fishing.

Newt Vail

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Newt,
Round this way if you are caught using a hook larger than a 10 you run the risk of being accused of using a Gaff.[:D][:D][:D]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Recently i have been using hemp and half a worm on the hook cast into the middle of the lake. Put the hemp through a little closed end feeder and cast every 5 mins or so. Once the carp find it you should catch steadily even in winter well it works for me.

Tight lines [:D]

Larry

Lazarus
granjuicymoose .
Thanks for tip on using hemp &worm i'll try it on my clubs home pool &let you know it fishes rubbish in winter may be the key to catching a few

How small a feeder only i'll have to get some.

Anyone who stops learning is old.
Wether at 20 or 80.
Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
Cheer's Larry AKA as toma say's Shimano Man The Tackle Tart

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Well the one i was using was very small. Cant say the exact size but it would only hold about 10/15 maggots. With a little 1/4 oz weight on the back. Hope it works let me know how you get on [;)]

Tight lines [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.