Single hook pike rig

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
I’m forever fiddling with my end tackle, I know, I know, and found these hooks on eBay.

84-C119-EC-FC1-A-4-EDE-981-F-E972240-B22-CF.jpg

I’m going to rig them like this

22488-B01-7485-407-B-8454-7-A9-DA1763762.jpg

A short piece of 7 strand wire is crimped directly to the ring and a quick stop XL is crimped to the other end. With the aid of a darning needle, or something like, the quick stop will be pushed through the tail of a small roach or perch and also through a bait flag to give the quick stop a bit of support. The hook shown is a size 4 mustad and I’m also going to use the same hook in size 2 for slightly bigger baits.

So, what do you think, reinventing the wheel or worth a go?

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Interesting. In effect you''re hair-rigging a livebait.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
i tried fishing for pike threw the winter with single hook rigs with deadbaits had runs but never managed to land the pike puttng the single hook threw the tail of fish years ago when livebaiting had pike to 21lb hooking threw the mouth

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
The set-up looks interesting and my first thought is to try it as a kabab rig with fish chunks.Small chunks of sprats or mackerel leeching plenty of attractant is a winner.Can be a bit of a mare if the water has a lot of eels though.

Gaz9243

Site Supporter
I saw a lad using a rig just like that a few years ago on a local water. he had a small hook half way up the hair/strand which he hooked into the side of the fish. He said it works great, but I didn't ask to much as I don't fish for pike.

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
Good idea mate, I like it.

I often use single large hook rigs for predators, yours are nicer though, might try that (y)

mytopkitisbroken

I would be interested to see how these work out, look good and I can't see any reason that they shouldn't be successful - but I'm no expert!!

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
The set-up looks interesting and my first thought is to try it as a kabab rig with fish chunks.Small chunks of sprats or mackerel leeching plenty of attractant is a winner.Can be a bit of a mare if the water has a lot of eels though.
Do you still get a lot of eels round your way mate? I've not seen any for years.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
They come in cycles Dave and there may be more about than we know but the change to pellet as the main Barbel bait reduces the chance of catching them.
I would say there are still plenty in the Severn because if you go on the meat late evening the tip is trembling all the time and if the meat is still on it's ragged to virtually nothing.
One of my group has had a couple to 4lb the past two seasons and one of those was when he was actually fishing for them.
Most attempts to catch them though by using worms or small deads end up with Perch or Zander.