Simplest kind of fishing?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Having just had 3 days catching Bream on the feeder at close range on a still water on the feeder, it struck me that fishing does not get much simpler.

I find most of the 'legwork' of catching Bream on big natural lakes is locating them, if you're on the fish it's easy fishing, and it's much easier to locate them on lakes that have obvious features like a dam wall. I like doing it but would not do it all the time, I suppose it only gets more complicated when you have to chuck a distance for them, but even then it's relatively simple.

You could say all fishing is simple, but it seems to me at the more complex end of things you have commercial match fishing, where it seems 'thinking anglers' get the best results? And you could say the same for 'Specimen' type fishing.

It seems to me that river fishing is either as simple or complex as you want to make it, with a lot depending on the peg and river.

Anyone agree?

SeanB

Site Supporter
Absolutely, the simpler I keep things the better I do. It helps that I don't fish matches though and can do as I please, I often fish a method, or use a certain piece of tackle, simply because I enjoy it even though it might be the "wrong" choice.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I would say whip fishing to hand is simple, but you can make it complicated when you start to experiment with rigs, depths, bait etc etc. You could say the same about most methods, made up rods with a feeder on ready to go-simple. But where to cast, how to feed, that is not simple.

davej1981

Ive had some good sessions lately doing what i consider simple fishing. One method one bait on the tray and plenty of fish. No branded baits, no fancy flavours or additives. One session i pole fished corn, nothing, one tin of lidl corn. Another session just fished the method with just some cheap pellets. Things seem very complicated sometimes and alot of it catches the angler rather than the fish

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I reckon I'm thinking along these lines as Chard Res seems an easier venue to crack than my local, Patshull Park, but the basics are the same. You probably wouldn't think so reading some of the questions I ask on here though, but part of that is because I like to try new things, keep things fresh... helps that I live near the middle Severn, some stretches, Arley in particular for me, are an 'anglers playground' as you have deep, shallow, fast and slow water all in the same stretch.

Silver fan 82

I think any style of fishing can be over complicated, whether it be feeder fishing, carp fishing or specimen angling.
I sometimes like a carp fishing session. Even then I don't over complicate my rigs. Half of the terminal tackle items I've bought I probably don't use.
You see it all the time on you tube etc, you need this rig, that bait, this item of end tackle.
You could argue that using the latest hook, feeder, top kit whatever it is may catch you more fish or not. Alot of it comes down to confidence using a certain method or bait IMO.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
The simplest fishing I have ever done, is freelining luncheon meat for carp. Closely followed by stalking carp off the surface. Rod, reel, line, hook, bait. That's it.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Having just had 3 days catching Bream on the feeder at close range on a still water on the feeder, it struck me that fishing does not get much simpler.

I find most of the 'legwork' of catching Bream on big natural lakes is locating them, if you're on the fish it's easy fishing, and it's much easier to locate them on lakes that have obvious features like a dam wall. I like doing it but would not do it all the time, I suppose it only gets more complicated when you have to chuck a distance for them, but even then it's relatively simple.

You could say all fishing is simple, but it seems to me at the more complex end of things you have commercial match fishing, where it seems 'thinking anglers' get the best results? And you could say the same for 'Specimen' type fishing.

It seems to me that river fishing is either as simple or complex as you want to make it, with a lot depending on the peg and river.

Anyone agree?
I'll get back to you at the end of the season. Since I'm a simpleton, any river fishing I do will be simple by definition. :D

alsur

Site Supporter
When young used to do a lot of floating crust and free lining haven't done it for years.

Gary.J

Doesn’t get more exiting than float fishing bread, waiting for the slurp! Then the disappointment of them nudging the bread, swimming off then returning and taking the bread which is no longer on the hook LOL. But when the carp takes it 💥💥💥💥💥💥💥

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Simplest method is a hook on your line with a bait on the hook... no lead, no rig, no hairs, no alarms not even a rod rest.. put bait in water and feel the line for a bite.... job done and all the bivvy boys don't believe its how you caught it....🤣🤣🤣

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Simplest method is a hook on your line with a bait on the hook... no lead, no rig, no hairs, no alarms not even a rod rest.. put bait in water and feel the line for a bite.... job done and all the bivvy boys don't believe its how you caught it....🤣🤣🤣
Got to agree with this. Keeping a little line between finger and thumb and 'feeling' for the bite is far more sensitive than any alarm. or other method of indication. It's also an idyllic way of spending a warm summer evening.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Since writing this thread about Bream fishing (was on my mind at the time) I've since done maggot feeder on a small river and Barbel feeder fishing on the Severn. Both are also quite simple. I think simplicity is a good thing in fishing if you want it to be. My fishing has got much simpler since I stopped pole fishing and rarely have multiple lines set up these days.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I find flicking out a small bomb is as simple as running a stick down the Medway

The basics of fishing are simple but the fine tuning of each method to suit venue / species / size / conditions etc to produce results time after time is the complex and dark art of highly successful angling