Simple Bolt Rigs

Truly

Site Supporter
Just spent the past few days at a delightful spot in Shropshire. A chap fishing the small lake showed me the bolt rig that he used with success for carp. There were two float stops about three inches above the two ounce bomb and a short hook length of lower breaking strain below it.

When I got home I took a look at my (1993) copy of Bob Roberts 'The Complete Book Of Legering'. Bob shows a rig where the bomb sits on a piece of tubing and of using a much smaller version of it for catching those un-hit-able roach bites, which he demonstrated to Alan Haines.

On my next Shropshire visit, I think I will take a pair of my carp rods and give it a go. I also thought I may give a miniaturised version a go on the Nene for the winter silvers.

My concern is to avoid anything that would be likely to tether a fish, in the event of a line break.
Could I be pointed to something fairly simple that would fit the bill please?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Float stops above a lead are a menace... it stops the fish being able to lose the rig and lead in the event of a break off... in carping terminology its known as a death rig... I implore you not to use it

Truly

Site Supporter
Float stops above a lead are a menace... it stops the fish being able to lose the rig and lead in the event of a break off... in carping terminology its known as a death rig... I implore you not to use it
Thanks Arry, that is exactly what I was thinking, so would never use such a thing mate. :upthumb:

Truly

Site Supporter
Use an inline lead by all means but no stops of any kind above the lead... to me even lead clips are dangerous as not all leads eject safely... running leads are the safest
I was looking at those lead clips on a Korum video yesterday evening and wasn't by any means convinced either. How is the 'self hooking' effect achieved without anything on the line above the lead? I don't get it at the moment, hence starting this thread.
I have never done any carp fishing yet. My two Greys Prodigy 12' rods were bought second hand, complete with a pair of Shimano bait runner reels for pike dead-baiting on the Fen drains.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Here's a thought, not tried it myself, but what's to stop anyone threading their line through an inline lead or method feeder twice to create a bolt rig type effect but not fixed?

Eg, thread mainline through the feeder/lead as you would do normally, then thread it though again before attaching the hook, in effect trapping the feeder/lead in a loop.

1653724219423.png

Drawing inspired by 'Godber'

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Here's a thought, not tried it myself, but what's to stop anyone threading their line through an inline lead or method feeder twice to create a bolt rig type effect but not fixed?

Eg, thread mainline through the feeder/lead as you would do normally, then thread it though again before attaching the hook, in effect trapping the feeder/lead in a loop.

1653724219423.png

Drawing inspired by 'Godber'
Interesting idea, but wouldn't trapping the feeder/lead in the loop prevent it being free-running? It's getting to a stage now that most fisheries, including the club waters here insist on free-running rigs only.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@Truly

Here's how I do mine. The components can be stepped up for carp fishing.

A rubber bead place between the lead/feeder prevents the swivel from entering the bottom of the lead/feeder, creating a totally free running rig...

100_1962.JPG

To prevent any tangles, put the swivel into the bead...

100_1963.JPG

Works with feeder rigs (as shown above) and inline Carp leads without falling foul of the "free-running rigs only" rule. If you fish with a tight-ish line, then the fish will still self hook because it can't drag line from the reel without pulling. It's a method I use for my feeder and Carp fishing.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Technically as long as there is no tension on the rod side of the line it would be free-running - try it and see.
It's only when you apply tension to the line that the feeder/leader remains in place.

I think it was Maver who bought out a Z method feeder a few years ago where the line ran through a Z shaped tube which worked on a similar principle. When the line was taught to the rod the feeder locked in place, when slack the feeder could slide the same as any other.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@Dave

I'll give it a try on the club waters next time I'm there. I'm intrigued now. :D

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Is it any different to a helicopter rig?
They have stops above and below hooklength.

Arry

Site Supporter
I was looking at those lead clips on a Korum video yesterday evening and wasn't by any means convinced either. How is the 'self hooking' effect achieved without anything on the line above the lead? I don't get it at the moment, hence starting this thread.
I have never done any carp fishing yet. My two Greys Prodigy 12' rods were bought second hand, complete with a pair of Shimano bait runner reels for pike dead-baiting on the Fen drains.
Lead clips are a system with a lot of mixed opinions... if used incorrectly they are as deadly as a fixed lead (which in essence it really is) the lead is locked onto a clip via a tail rubber... if you push the tail rubber on too tightly the lead cannot discharge in the event of a break off... conversely a lot of so called celeb anglers advocate dropping the lead on the take (something I vehemently disagree with)
I use a running lead for all my carping, the only time this differs is if I freeline a bait (nothing bar a hook on the line)

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I don't agree with those either running leads or freeline only for me
It does make me chuckle- no fixed rigs yet a waggler is locked both sides with shot or a stop and can be used? 🤪

Arry

Site Supporter
This is where a quill wins out...😛
To be fair if your gear is balanced there is no reason a lost fish would tow a float or a lead around I always use a hooklength of either the same or lighter than my mainline, if its the same poundage, the knot to the hooklink is the weakest link in the chain... and as I use barbless hooks the hook should come free quickly

ukzero1

Site Supporter
To be honest, I think that's half the problem. These so called top anglers are coming up with rigs that are "the bee's knees".."the mutts nuts.." yada-yada, but they're not thinking of the effect it may have on the fish. That's why so many rigs are banned up and down the country.

Arry

Site Supporter
I watched a vid t'other day... 18lb mainline to a 35lb stiff boom with a hook on the end of the boom... totally nuts if the mainline breaks the fish is towing the boom and possibly a lead and clip about... totally irresponsible and if the fish gets weeded or caught in a snag and the angler pulls for a break, the fish gets a torn mouth because the gear is waaaay to strong to break... totally and utterly out of order

SeanB

Site Supporter
Technically as long as there is no tension on the rod side of the line it would be free-running - try it and see.
It's only when you apply tension to the line that the feeder/leader remains in place.

I think it was Maver who bought out a Z method feeder a few years ago where the line ran through a Z shaped tube which worked on a similar principle. When the line was taught to the rod the feeder locked in place, when slack the feeder could slide the same as any other.

Is this what you were thinking of? I'm not sure if you can still get them.

solwood

Site Supporter
There is another solution

Fox tadpole grommets

Run ring sits over a small grommet and you get the initial bolt effect that then frees the lead so it's free running

I have never had a lead still fixed after landing a fish