Silvers net and light weight handle

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'm looking at getting a small I suppose pan type landing net and light weight handle for silverfish. It'll be for fish up to around 3lbs but mainly for those half pound to pound and a half sized silvers that are too big to swing in but get swamped in a normal sized net. The handle doesn't need to be particularly long and the key thing for the set up is it being nice and light so it is easy to use one handed all day.

Any suggestions?

lucc

for the pan, you need a nylon one.
there are plenty:

for the landing net handle if you have some budget , this one, 4m long, weighs only 230g

As for the feeder rods, uk brands have a bad tendency to not announce the weight of their handles, that's not very nice...:mad:

Freesolo82

I have a sensas super lite net, its perfect for silvers and is the lightest net I have ever owned

MarkW

I am amazed by the modern habit of using these tiny landing nets of 14" or so. I am old-fashioned but a 22" pan net (hard to buy one now ….ggggrrrrrrr!) is easy enough for the roach etc. I catch but will also deal with marauding pike to 10lbs+ on the river and this year was big enough for a 17-12 carp.

Ditto landing nets. I own three carbon handles but on the river where they get damaged I still use a 1972 alloy handle with variations on the end bit (I can remove the last 10" of handle with net to weigh fish), and although it doesn't telescope anymore it doesn't bend in a current and the weight of lifting varies more to the fish in the end than the handle. This handle has been run over and bend by a horse. Still works unlike a £50 Daiwa one that snapped with the first chub I netted!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thanks all.

Net wise the Sensas super lite does look like a good option as does the frenzee scoop, both certainly cheaper than the drennan acolyte and daiwa airity I had been looking at. In terms of budget I’m looking to try and get the net and handle for around £50 tops. I know that won’t get a very fancy handle but I figure if I get a 2m one it shouldn’t be too heavy at that length. Now I’ve got some suggestions I’ll have to go to a tackle shop to get a feel for the sizes.

Mark I’ll still have my main net with me in case a carp, bream, tench, chub etc turns up it’s just that a 14-18” sort of sized net would be a lot more efficient for net sized roach, perch, skimmers etc.

DFL

Site Supporter
Map have a good selection of silvers nets, this is the one I use and think it would be perfect for what you want.

IanG1

Site Supporter
I use a MAP F1 net in the 12 inch size. Ideal for silvers

Freesolo82

The only downside with the Sensas Super lite is when using barbed hooks I had the hook transfer from the fish to the net which can be a pain especially with fine lines and small hooks you risk damaging something

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Bit of an update on this now we are hopefully only about a month off my usual closed season Stillwater roach and perch campaign. On the net front I think I've narrowed it down to the map silver match or match scoop match in the 16 inch size, the acolytes are nice but the maps are nearly half the price and it is only a net after all.

I am struggling a bit more on the handle front. A lot of the 2m ish ones seem to have some sort of power marketing which makes me a bit wary weight wise but I guess they can't be that heavy at that length, would be nice to find a more silvers designed one though.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Have a look at the Leeda concept gp. Nicky Dodds put me on to them. Great little net. Available in three sizes. The smallest is brilliant for small fish on our local canal. Very light. Sorry, cant help with the handle as I made my small fish net / handle out of a Shimano pole.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I bought the acolyte after my old cheap dinsmore had mice chew holes in it. Acolyte swoops awesomely through the water. I'm very impressed with it. I only use a cheap handle with it though.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah the acolytes still very much in the running, will probably depend on how much I spend on the handle as if I have to spend more on that the maps are more appealing nets wise.

lliopp

Site Supporter
I have a 2m handle for exactly what you describe, it does say carp on it but slim and light. I would not worry to much about one saying power.
The net is one from sensas .

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
No just barbless. I’m probably going to commit to something at least this weekend whilst the bobco sale is on, might as well save a fiver or so if I can!