Silver,s waggler set up

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I cant see how you can cast or fish the wag with a loada shot down the line

it near always tangles or gets hung up on the cast fishing like that

I was allus told and believe that you need around 80% of the floats cocking weight at the base of the float

richox12

I cant see how you can cast or fish the wag with a loada shot down the line

it near always tangles or gets hung up on the cast fishing like that

I was allus told and believe that you need around 80% of the floats cocking weight at the base of the float
Depends how far you are casting and what 'style' you need to use. If you've the vast majority down the line and next to nothing around the float it'll cast fine, no tangles. Basically a reverse of what is taken as the norm. A Driftbeater set-up for example. It won't cast as far but will cast without problems. However, get the balance wrong between locking shot and dropper shot and it'll cast like a bag of spuds !

BoldBear

The only times that I would not use a waggler with its bulk shot placed at the base of the float is when I’m either fishing a deep swim with the shot evenly spaced out so that It would allow me to count down each shot as it settles, and if a fish takes my bait on the way down it would often interrupt the count down; or if I were placing my bulk shot further down into the under current to stop my float drifting along with the surface drift. Otherwise I would have my bulk shot up tight to the base of the waggler.

Casting a waggler with the bulk shot placed further down into the under current; or with the shot all spread out; is a little more difficult but not too difficult; as long as the shot were spaced out with ever decreasing gaps between them so that if the line were to fold on the cast the shot wouldn’t get tangled around each other quite so easily, and by also keeping the line in as straight a line as is possible in flight and as it lands.

Keith

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I use Drennan Float stops on loaded Wagglers that only take 8x no8 shot to cock. Find I can get away with a 4, 6 and then 8 dropper down the line on deepish stillwater pegs without tangles. Have seen river fishing, Dave Harrell recommends a shirt button shotting pattern, I have tried this and get tangles which kind of limits what I can do with a waggler on rivers but I put this down to ability.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
A rubber insert allows the float to fold on the strike and of course enables quick change.
Not a fan of loaded wagglers, so float is 'locked' (about an inch of freedom between inner shot) with around 75% of the total shot.

Little tip too, when plumbing up, do so with just two shot round the float, then add the droppers once the depth is set, then complete the bulk loading around the float.

That way, you get the right number of droppers in place in place for your depth you are fishing.