Silver lining in the COVID cloud?

Philocalist

Maybe, just maybe, some good will sneak out of the COVID cloud hanging over us?

I think we all must have noticed how the NHS is pulling together and doing everything they can to punch well above their weight on occasion too?
It can't have gone un-noticed either that the entire British public seem to be united in their support for our NHS, in a very obvious, passionate, united way.

Not too many weeks ago, pre-COVID, the very existance of the NHS was apparently under serious threat ... I wonder whether, in some sort of perverse way, COVID could be the ultimate saviour for our NHS, even at the hideous price paid by those who will not live through the pandemic - I really cannot see any scenario at all that would now see the NHS broken up / sold off - public outcry would presumably be uncontrollable, no?

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Your NHS like our HSE is playing a stormer in dealing with the crisis. However it is the rank and file doctors , nurses, and auxiliary staff who are pulling together to spite the stumbling blocks often put in their way by the upper management. When this is over, the whole thing needs to be looked at and the priorities reset. Last week for instance the HSE made a big deal of telling the public they had made a huge effort in securing the extra PPE needed for the staff to deal with the crisis. What they didn't say was the gowns they had ordered were in fact short sleeved and so almost useless.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Last edited:

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I'm afraid I am a pessimist on this. I believe that when this is all over there will be a load of accolades for the NHS and lots of mutual back slapping in the upper echelons on how great a job they all did. Then it will be back to "same old, same old".

baboboy

Site Supporter
Your NHS like our HSE is playing a stormer in dealing with the crisis. However it is the rank and file doctors , nurses, and auxiliary staff who are pulling together to spite the stumbling blocks often put in their way by the upper management. When this is over, the whole thing needs to be looked at and the priorities reset. Last week for instance the HSE made a big deal of telling the public they had made a huge effort in securing the extra PPE needed for the staff to deal with the crisis. What they didn't say was the gowns they had ordered were in fact short sleeved and so almost useless.
Don't forget the cleaners, porters, therapists, and the people who work in IT proving support to keep the systems up and running as well as preparing additional kit. Everyone is doing their bit in these difficult times.

fishcatcher4

It will be the same as always.

The military rightly get praise when we are at war.

Then when they come back they are left to sort themselves out with some being homeless and suffering with ptsd.

The police are the same ,praised if there are riots etc then cut backs start again.

The NHS i am afraid will be just the same.

Fecking 2 faced politicians.

PAB

Site Supporter
Boris appears to be able to do no wrong to the public, he would be a hero even if he sold off the NHS people are so blinkered by the media and can be made to believe anything the papers or internet tell them.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
In times of national need people always pull together. Afterwards when everything calms down everyone jumps on the gravy train of greed and we are back to square one. The human race NEVER learns because we forget far too easily and want more. Life goes on and never stands still.