Silver fish and cold weather

Joe C

Site Supporter
I’ve been making a concerted effort to fish through winter the last couple of years, just trying to pick the milder days. This year I’m probably gonna attempt the colder days as well. Will roach and bream still feed in (8c and below) cold conditions on a commercial? Also looking forward to trying to catch some big perch.

Any tips apart from wearing some thermal underwear? ?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Bream will be hard going, But winter can offer some of the best & most rewarding silver fishing that can be had.
Super light tackle, dotted down floats fished over a groundbait base followed by hemp & dead reds. I also had a lot of success last winter with small banded pellets fished over GB And a small amount of micros (y)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
A couple of days ago, we had a bit of a frosty early morning. A member on the lakes was taking a good stamp of Bream on Dendro tail tipped with red maggot. The rest of the worm got chopped and used as feed.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’m planning to do the same thing this winter Joe. I’ve not bothered fishing much in cold weather but intend to fish right through for roach and skimmers.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Joe, there are some good write ups in the where fished today section, worth a look for some ideas and there have been some good cold weather days amongst a good few on here. I had a decent day the other week- Rysons. This and others might help you out.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Myself and a mate are having a change today and going goldfish fishing thats puddle pig fishing.
Some mates decided ages ago to refer to carpers as goldfish anglers, some of the local lads we know like the title, others dont lol.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Have to say I don't tend to fancy silvers fishing when it's below 10 degrees with about 8 degrees the cut off when I switch to targeting bigger fish. Anything with peaks above 10 for any reasonable amount of days is the time to strike for silvers.

rudd

Site Supporter
I’ve been making a concerted effort to fish through winter the last couple of years, just trying to pick the milder days. This year I’m probably gonna attempt the colder days as well. Will roach and bream still feed in (8c and below) cold conditions on a commercial? Also looking forward to trying to catch some big perch.

Any tips apart from wearing some thermal underwear? ?
Yes but depth depending may be a foot or two off bottom.
Would also recommend fishing the waggler when water is clear.
Target the Perch in last few hours with a prawn, worm or sprat.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I’m planning to do the same thing this winter Joe. I’ve not bothered fishing much in cold weather but intend to fish right through for roach and skimmers.

Not like me but I've been a bit lazy too. I don't want to sit on a box and freeze to be honest, but I should have gone today. About 10 deg, overcast still little wind, missed a good roach day.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Not like me but I've been a bit lazy too. I don't want to sit on a box and freeze to be honest, but I should have gone today. About 10 deg, overcast still little wind, missed a good roach day.
I fished this morning. Had a couple of reasonable bream and a load of skimmers. Water temperature was 10.2 degrees though.

Zerkalo

I fished a place called Sion Farm last Winter, having heard they hold winter Silvers matches for the Roach with weights of 30lb+, they show in Summer all the time when fishing for the Carp especially on Corn, but I blanked on maggot along with the 5 or so other people that were fishing it. It was an ice cold day but I thought with the amount of Roach in there they would still show.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Old couple of pictures shown many times. But illustrates that no matter how cold you can still catch if you fish the right way in the right place.

HPIM1788.JPG

HPIM1790.JPG

Hecky thump Neil - I mean I like a days fishing as much as the next but this is extreme o_O

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The snow and cold had kept me off the bank for too long. Going stir crazy and had to get out. That stretch of canal (Foxton) is consistent and I knew I could catch through the ice.