silty bottoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

big stoo

hello
i'm fishing this week (thursday to saturday) at langdale lakes with my little bro, and newie. on a trip round the owner said the bottom of the pond is very silty, with about four to six inches of real soft silt on top. the longest distance i'll be fishing is about twenty yards. i was thinking of just free lining my baits rather than risk having a weight take it under. i would like to here what anyone else thinks or would do, thanks in advance

ashtheangler

Team tackletek
personally, if i found that it was that silty at the bottom and i wanted to leger a bait, i'd use what is known as a chod rig...

Datafile11.asp

Alternitavely, you could floatfish if you're only fishing about 20 odd yards out, but if you want to go for the bigger fish just step up your tackle a bit, fish with the carp rods and line etc and use a bigger bait like luncheon meat etc. If not, just do some ordinary floatfishing, but for legering in such a silty place like taht - that rig above is what i would strongly recommend.

That's it really in a nutshell...hope it's helped! [;)] [:D]

big stoo

hello
thanks ash, i'll be using carp rods on buzzers during the night but float fishing during the day. theres a lot of big tench in there and i fancy a couple of them,

ashtheangler

Team tackletek
well then the chod rig is the way to go mate! [:D] good luck!

Last edited:

ashtheangler

Team tackletek
basically yep, but the hooklink isnt fixed in one position, it is allowed to be adjusted according to the depth of the silt/chod on the bottom

ashtheangler

Team tackletek
Are the beads fixed or running? Because on this rig they're fixed so that the hooklength can be set at different depths

Last edited:

carpy sy

Bivvy Boy ,Beds.
Most important,make sure that the bead is able to slide off if using leadcore.Making sure that it slides over the knot aswell.If you havn't used leadcore before and unsure,please use a heavy rig tube instead.You don't want having a break and a fish tethering(sp)a legnth of leadcore.Fish safety comes first.

ashtheangler

Team tackletek
i would rather use the heavy rig tubing as apposed to leadcore i agree with that

Towpath Tyke

set your free line rig up as normal! Then roll a small piece of clay into a ball, push a pen through to make a hole! Feed a 6 inch piece of pva string through hole and fasten this to your rig! Now use the clay as your casting weight to get out further!! once in water the pva will dissolve leaving your bait above the silt on the bottom.

Last edited:

ashtheangler

Team tackletek
with the chod righ the beads are tight on the tubing so they can be adjusted to different depths depending on how deep the silt is.

newies_maggots

Originally posted by ashtheangler

with the chod righ the beads are tight on the tubing so they can be adjusted to different depths depending on how deep the silt is.

o right i see, but surely if i just clip a small weight to sort out the depth?

adam_f

isnt the hooklink meant to be made of some sort of stiff material ??

like that korda stuff

if im wrong ignore me im a matchfisherman [:D]

ashtheangler

Team tackletek
well if he knows that there is about 4 to 6 inches of silt on the deck, he can put his hooklink about 8 inches above the lead and it will stay there, the lead will go in the silt yet the bait will stay on the lake bed free of being buried. Normally, if using a pop-up, a small stiff link would be required as a hooklength, about 2 inches long, yet if he wants to use a bottom bait he can, but it would be advisable to use some dissolving rig foam to prevent his hook dragging and catching all the cr*p on the bottom, giving him a nice clean hook.

newies_maggots

ok, this is complicated....

well is for me, so bare with me, im learning stuff, daily...

so basically, if the silk is 10" deep i simply set my hook length to 12" away from the lead which will allow it to sit on the bottom with no worries?

ashtheangler

Team tackletek
yep that's the idea - i'll draw a pic later for you mate on what the rig actually does

newies_maggots

ok, so ill possibly be using a 2.5oz lead, so would it be better to use a lighter lead as possible?

im only casting a max 20yrds, 2 lines lily pads 2 lines down the margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.