Silly sessions often surprise

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Following a wonderful week off the “work time blues” kicked in within an hour yesterday so I planned a session on the river Medway lunchtime today as a pick me up.

Took a few worms from my “wormery” which has been a massive success and decided to free line them to tempt a few stripeys

Got there to find it unfishable - the colour of mud and pushing through like a train plus super busy with boats :(

Had a surprise when my manager told me to push off at 3pm out of the blue so I thrashed it to Neville Park

An even bigger surprise was arriving at the bank to find out that this morning a gang of 3 blokes with chainsaws, ropes and pickups have cleared all the near bank swims of the fallen trees (plus many other trees in the park) dragging them clear of the water and opening the swims right out

0B1ABED5-A503-4965-AB5C-BF569B6ABEBB.jpeg CC631391-6C36-43C8-91D8-6741C0278B7C.jpeg E2749E0B-B001-4BBB-9A89-46F22786379D.jpeg 41916B27-0CF4-4B35-B8D4-3E2969A44724.jpeg

Half a dozen people fishing floating crust (nothing biting) who packed up pretty sharpish when heavy showers began but there was a mass of activity under the surface with cruising carp so I thought I’d still give it a go

62344CDB-F1CB-4493-AB28-E2FAAD7E91C1.jpeg

7’ Shimano spinning rod with the CS4 Cadence loaded with 4lb Guru Pulse to a size 8 Kamasan B980 (the hooks I bought for LRF dropshot fishing last week)

Threaded on a chunky dendro, pinched off its head and threaded that on too then flicked it as far as I could get - maybe a dozen rod lengths - and watched the line.

Third or fourth cast the line tightened suddenly and I struck into a little sprinter

14506F6B-1547-41FE-ACED-E2CD71DCD1A9.jpeg

Had another five of these in under 20 minutes all of which put up a great fight and bent the skinny little rod a treat.

Tried to be clever and mug something bigger, dropped a worm neatly on a cruising carp’s nose and got smashed to bits for my stupidity when it hurtled away with its prize snapping me neatly at the hook :LOL:

Simplest possible setup and immense fun, will certainly be doing it again soon.

The lake is looking incredibly healthy, multiple large shoals of fry were cruising and harrying the bread floating from the previous anglers and the tree clearing will greatly reduce the risk of fish getting caught up.

Hoping the fact work has been done on it may be an indicator the council are going to leave it to the fishermen a while longer 🤞

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@OldTaff looks much improved mate, when we've done some tree work on the club ponds, I've taken an old rake head tied some rope on and just pulled it about just to collect any old branches twiggs ect and it gives you confidence to fish those areas knowing there clear of snags. Might take a while for the fish to use those areas if there are lots of leaves and sediment. But it certainly looks miles better.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
@OldTaff looks much improved mate, when we've done some tree work on the club ponds, I've taken an old rake head tied some rope on and just pulled it about just to collect any old branches twiggs ect and it gives you confidence to fish those areas knowing there clear of snags. Might take a while for the fish to use those areas if there are lots of leaves and sediment. But it certainly looks miles better.

That’s a grand idea - I’ve a weed rake I made for another local lake to clear tench swims so I’ll give that a run out on the weekend