Signs you are getting old !

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Maybe it is just me but lately I find my spelling is gone really bad. Some simple words I find I have to spell check, Is it just me going doddery or is it something that happens a lot of people ?

Simon R

Site Supporter
Mines occasionally the same - sometimes have to look at a word two or three times to see if it's spelt right - and then get the spell checker out just to be sure :p
At least we have the consolation of knowing that we did actually learn to spell correctly in our younger days - kids now learn just enough to get them through their GCSE and spellcheck everything else.

Biggest old age thing I suffer from is finding myself in a room in the house and wondering what I'm doing there or opening a cupboard and forgetting what I was looking for - and of course putting things in a safe place and then never finding them again - although to be fair I've been doing the last one for years.

Simon

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I have a 'thing' about spelling,English was one of my better subjects at school and I've always tried to spell words correctly but I saw a post on Facebook last week that had a longish sentence of really jumbled up words which I read in no time,the reason being that all the words had the correct first and last letters.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

How did you do ?

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I read that no problem, in fact I probably read it quicker than it took you to write it ! lol

breadflake

Site Supporter
Spelling not to bad but handwriting was always poor, been using keyboards and printing stuff off for a few years now
if I have to jot a note down it is usually unreadable when going back to it.
memory is getting worse, put kettle on to make a coffee carried the mug upstairs went to take a sip and no water in
and I'm still allowed out on my own?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
When the Young uns stop asking me on their Jolly boys outings i will consider old age ;) ;)

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I was told that English was not my 1st language, pity relay as its the only one I can speak.
My spelling has marginally got better since the introduction of a spell checker.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I think with me it's memory. I can remember where I put the useless things that gets used every couple of months, but if it's something I need like yesterday then I've no idea where I put it except that it's somewhere safe.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
For me spelling can come and go, as for going into rooms for stuff, yes because I'm usually thinking about 10 other things, go in utility room for milk out fridge, sample some cold meats, see tumble dryer has finished, empty it, fold it, move it to living room..... Ah my cup of tea, go to kitchen, no milk in it which is what I was doing in the first place, many variations on this scenario, drives me mad, wife just laughs and says yeh, you and me both.

Tristar

Site Supporter
When watching TV and the 3 minute adverts come on and I nip for a quick pee, return to the sofa and missus asks If I'm ok then I realise the film (Movie if you speak Yank) has come back on then I make excuses such as, I was cleaning the bath, scaring a Moth away, texting a friend etc....

Only the other day we were looking at decent second hand cars, there were, VW, BMW, Skoda, Ford and so on. I went straight to the nearest Honda.

Tristar

Site Supporter
Forgot one, when I read text massages my arms are no long enough to read them anymore.

Found myself talking to my eldest the other day......"when I was your age" I can't believe I said that, I don't believe it.