Side tray problems for Matrix P25 and F25 boxes

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I've seen several references from posters regarding the fact that the legs of the P25 and F25 are so close to the box it's difficult to fix a side tray and still leave room for a landing net between the two, here is a pic of my set-up.

TIP RAVEN.jpg

I use two short extensions fixed to the 25mm with a strut in each, onto which my Nu-Fish Aqualock side tray is fixed, leaving room for a landing net to lay across the two extensions. My extensions are from Octbox, because I had an Octbox until recently. The two struts are also both Octbox. But doubtless you can get short 25mm legs or similar from elsewhere.

frankg

Site Supporter
I took the footplate off my P25 because with it fitted, the legs were too far down below the top of the box, which as you say, prevents the Nufish collapsible side tray from fitting.
I could use my Matrix collapsible side tray, but I’ve found that when it rains, the design causes rain to run down the lid and into the tray via the hinged side!!
So, looking at your setup there, that would allow me to refit the footplate and use the Nufish 👍🎣

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
What made you go from the Octbox to the Matrix?

Purely the weight and it has 25mm legs, the same as the Octbox, so I could keep the backrest and accessories.

I got the Octbox because I could turn it into a wheeled barrow. BUT after three years I was three years older and I found it hard work. By the time I got back to the car I was often feeling quite ill. So I got a Frenzee four-wheeled barrow, but that also became too heavy. Also I found it near impossible to lift the Octbox and footplate off the trolley onto a platform without removing the draws first.

Now I have a motorised Preston trolley (though at the moment the motor is not working properly). And I can pick the F25, with footplate extended, off the trolley to take it to the swim.

I can put the whole thing on and off the trolley without altering the footplate, and have a long thin holdall which lays on the footplate for travelling. I've got a van, and a ramp, and can push the whole lot up into the van after a match. But I loved the Octbox, and especially the extending footplate rest for the bump bar.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
frankg - you could use any 25mm legs if you wanted longer ones. I'm thinking of doing that.

frankg

Site Supporter
Great reply GOozzer. What’s the backrest like....any good?
Just about to order two of the 10cm extensions and a 50cm 25mm round post, which I can cut in half and then use as a 25cm post, one for each extension arm....then fit the Nufish 😁🎣👍

frankg

Site Supporter
frankg - you could use any 25mm legs if you wanted longer ones. I'm thinking of doing that.
That’s what I did when I had my Matrix S36...... bought the 80cm legs and cut them down to suit.
It’s finding some decent long 25mm legs that’s the problem, so maybe the set-up in your pic would be better.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Great reply GOozzer. What’s the backrest like....any good?
Just about to order two of the 10cm extensions and a 50cm 25mm round post, which I can cut in half and then use as a 25cm post, one for each extension arm....then fit the Nufish 😁🎣👍
Not sure why you need to cut them down. They will just protrude below the extension. But I don't rate the grip inserts of the Nu-Fish side tray - not really very good. But I get by.

The back rest is brilliant. You can adjust the height, and also how far back it is from the seat. It comes with two long extensions, two long posts, and the adjustable rest itself. I couldn't fish without it.

PS. Just realised you're cutting them in half to save cost. :)

The Landlord

Site Supporter
On the subject of side trays, I've just been looking at the Preston hooded ones. Can the brackets be moved? I have a maver box & not sure if the distance between fron & rear legs is the same as a Preston box

frankg

Site Supporter
Not sure why you need to cut them down. They will just protrude below the extension. But I don't rate the grip inserts of the Nu-Fish side tray - not really very good. But I get by.

The back rest is brilliant. You can adjust the height, and also how far back it is from the seat. It comes with two long extensions, two long posts, and the adjustable rest itself. I couldn't fish without it.

PS. Just realised you're cutting them in half to save cost. :)
Haha... yes, just buy one rather than two. Might take a look at the backrest while I’m at it. Cheers GOozzer....and a merry Christmas to you👍

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
On the subject of side trays, I've just been looking at the Preston hooded ones. Can the brackets be moved? I have a maver box & not sure if the distance between fron & rear legs is the same as a Preston box
If you're on about the ventalite sidetray, the tray clamps are adjustable so should fit.

PAULMK5

Purely the weight and it has 25mm legs, the same as the Octbox, so I could keep the backrest and accessories.

I got the Octbox because I could turn it into a wheeled barrow. BUT after three years I was three years older and I found it hard work. By the time I got back to the car I was often feeling quite ill. So I got a Frenzee four-wheeled barrow, but that also became too heavy. Also I found it near impossible to lift the Octbox and footplate off the trolley onto a platform without removing the draws first.

Now I have a motorised Preston trolley (though at the moment the motor is not working properly). And I can pick the F25, with footplate extended, off the trolley to take it to the swim.

I can put the whole thing on and off the trolley without altering the footplate, and have a long thin holdall which lays on the footplate for travelling. I've got a van, and a ramp, and can push the whole lot up into the van after a match. But I loved the Octbox, and especially the extending footplate rest for the bump bar.
how does the matrix box fit on the shuttle please,is it a good fit or needing adjustments. I am thinking about changing my compact spacestation for a matrix p25 and want to keep the shuttle.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Anyone have the xr36 .
I like how there is space under seat for my preston feeder bag maybe it house,s most of my gear

Steadyeddie 1

Site Supporter
I've got a Preston shuttle and had to fit a length of aluminium box section to it to stop my F25 tilting backwards. You could use wood instead, I will post photos when I get chance.

feldri

Site Supporter
Is this clearance a issue with all the H frame matrix types ?
Xr36 etc

Nope. The S25 has more space between the legs and the box, the main reason I bought one. The Nufish sidetray fits perfectly whereas on the others you need extensions.

frankg

Site Supporter
I've seen several references from posters regarding the fact that the legs of the P25 and F25 are so close to the box it's difficult to fix a side tray and still leave room for a landing net between the two, here is a pic of my set-up.

TIP RAVEN.jpg

I use two short extensions fixed to the 25mm with a strut in each, onto which my Nu-Fish Aqualock side tray is fixed, leaving room for a landing net to lay across the two extensions. My extensions are from Octbox, because I had an Octbox until recently. The two struts are also both Octbox. But doubtless you can get short 25mm legs or similar from elsewhere.
The two extensions and 25mm post have just arrived......that’s some quality GOzzer!!
Very well made. Put the post through one of the clamps and tightened up a bit....solid!!! Couldn’t move it!!
Mmmm, Octbox D25.....Mmmm 😁👍🎣

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
how does the matrix box fit on the shuttle please,is it a good fit or needing adjustments. I am thinking about changing my compact spacestation for a matrix p25 and want to keep the shuttle.
Because the footplate has no support when pushed in (and I thought it might suffer if the weight of the box was on the back of the footplate) I decided to put it on the Preston shuttle with footplate extended. But I did have to make adjustments - I have the rear legs on a wooden platform (at the handle end) and the footplate rests on a wooden block to lift it so it's fairly level. I then put the carryall across the footplate.

From memoryif placed directly onto the shuttle the legs would have been low and would have dragged against the rear wheels - but mine has had a golf trolley motor fixed on the back and the wheels extend outwards more than a basic shuttle. So I'm not sure whether the box just placed on the shuttle would be OK - I think it probably would be. Sorry I can't be any more helpful.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
The two extensions and 25mm post have just arrived......that’s some quality GOzzer!!
Very well made. Put the post through one of the clamps and tightened up a bit....solid!!! Couldn’t move it!!
Mmmm, Octbox D25.....Mmmm 😁👍🎣
Yes, the Octbox is superb quality, as are the accessories. Don't tighten too much - there's no need. If you look inside you will see that the screw doesn't itself screw into the posts - there's a shaped bit inside that is pushed against the post to hold it securely.