Side pullers with lighter elastics, targeting silvers. Any point?

adriang

Site Supporter
I've seen many a YouTube video watching carp being landed where using side pullers seem to have really helped the case. Personally I've never used one, I don't really fish commercials, and I think the poles are currently use are probably not worth the investment to upgrade, but I'm starting thinking about a new pole.

When I've looked at some poles for sale where its a complete package, I've seen the 'power top kits' come with pullers, but not the 'match top kits'.

I could see they could be useful when fishing with lighter elastics and what is nowadays known as a match kit when fishing for silvers and a bigger fish comes along.

Is it a done thing?

Fishfinderuk

You can always fit the preston pulla bungs to the match kits,thats what I've done with my match kits.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
All my match kits used for silver fishing with 4-6 middy elastic have pulla kits fitted, I would not be without them, while getting Roach and skimmers out when a Tench comes along the pulla is invaluable, I don't strip to much elastic out because of using .08 and .10 hook lengths just a foot or two of elastic is pulled back but just enough to net a Tench or big slab Bream easily enough.

MrBen

Site Supporter
Wouldn’t be without a pulla kit off some description in any top kit. It’s definitely useful in the winter in light elastic when you get a bonus fish, less so in the summer when the fish are livelier as they tend to just charge off and snap you off.

derwentboy

Site Supporter
I've recently picked up a Tricast XRS Venom 14m pole with 5 top kits that I was mainly going to use for canal fishing (I rarely fish commercials but thought I'd keep one kit aside to fish them) using elastics from 2 /5/7....maybe an 8 and the only bungs I'm familiar with fitting are just the old school standard cones or the stora bungs. Would it be worth my while fitting a pulla bung if a bonus bream or tench comes along? More to the point, in an older pole like this would a pulla bung fit?..I did look at them in the shops but they looked massive..I know you cut them down but the ones i saw looked huge..do they come in different sizes like? Thanks for any help. Jonny

adriang

Site Supporter
I've recently picked up a Tricast XRS Venom 14m pole with 5 top kits that I was mainly going to use for canal fishing (I rarely fish commercials but thought I'd keep one kit aside to fish them) using elastics from 2 /5/7....maybe an 8 and the only bungs I'm familiar with fitting are just the old school standard cones or the stora bungs. Would it be worth my while fitting a pulla bung if a bonus bream or tench comes along? More to the point, in an older pole like this would a pulla bung fit?..I did look at them in the shops but they looked massive..I know you cut them down but the ones i saw looked huge..do they come in different sizes like? Thanks for any help. Jonny
I was the original poster, and can share what I ended up doing as our fishing sounds very similar.

I've not (yet) bought a new pole, so I am still using my 25 year old Silstar and its fine up to 12.5m (better at 11, unusable at 14). I ended up buying the Drennan puller bung kit and I did have to cut it back quite a lot to get it to fit inside what I think is the nbr 3 section of my pole. (I looked at the Drennan and Preston, they were visually the same size, I just didn't by Preston because @warrington63 has shares in them).

I've put a light-medium elastic through the 2 sections and I'm using a 'doobry' to protect the elastic while the sections are separated. I should say that I did use the shortest, least stiffest tip I have. (I've previously followed the Dicky Carr idea from one of his canal fishing videos, where he said that he prefers a bit of spring in the tip sections).

Using it once, I get it.

The idea that the pole should be more rigid so the elastic is doing more of the work and there is less chance of it sticking to the inside walls. And the puller bung is just great, its an easy access method for any tensioning needs and being able to adjust the elastic when playing a larger fish does give more control.

When I do (eventually) trade up, I'm going down the side puller route, even with the thinner elastics.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My light canal elastics only go through one section of my pole. Probably doing it wrong but I've never used side pullers.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
When I kitted out a pole with puller bungs, it was either a maver or Preston, I cut the bungs to fit, then also cut the tubes to make them shorter.
There seemed a lot of " bend" in the tube when pulling on the elastic and it was catching on the edge of reels section.
Once cut shorter it seemed a lot better.
Jonny, I don't think I would use a puller bung with a size 2 elastic,how would you get the knot large enough so it wouldn't go back in the tube, even using a soft bead on the end of the tube you may have same problem I would just use a standard storage type bung.

adriang

Site Supporter
When I kitted out a pole with puller bungs, it was either a maver or Preston, I cut the bungs to fit, then also cut the tubes to make them shorter.
There seemed a lot of " bend" in the tube when pulling on the elastic and it was catching on the edge of reels section.
Once cut shorter it seemed a lot better.
Jonny, I don't think I would use a puller bung with a size 2 elastic,how would you get the knot large enough so it wouldn't go back in the tube, even using a soft bead on the end of the tube you may have same problem I would just use a standard storage type bung.
Totally agree with Mark.

I'm generally a light lines, light elastic, small hooks fisherman. Ive got top kits with no2 through them and the puller bungs would be too big for the sections anyhow.

I've read and/or seen on YouTube where the idea of the elastic through the a couple of sections can allow you to go down a gauge of elastic. But, I'm thinking that in the thinner, lighter gauges, I'm going to do the opposite..

derwentboy

Site Supporter
Thanks gents…I was more thinking for the number 8 elastic..thing is though I just measured the end of the Venom topkits with a vernier and they are only 16mm…the Preston pullas are sized 15 to 25mm anyway so I don’t think I could do it anyway . At the end of the day a stora bung will probably do me and keep it simple I think…I can always pull it out with the nylon tag I usually leave (I know this is probably a bit old school)and just yank the lazzie if I really need to I suppose. The Venom seems like a great piece of kit…nice and light, slim and stiff too…looking forward to using it.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Thanks gents…I was more thinking for the number 8 elastic..thing is though I just measured the end of the Venom topkits with a vernier and they are only 16mm…the Preston pullas are sized 15 to 25mm anyway so I don’t think I could do it anyway . At the end of the day a stora bung will probably do me and keep it simple I think…I can always pull it out with the nylon tag I usually leave (I know this is probably a bit old school)and just yank the lazzie if I really need to I suppose. The Venom seems like a great piece of kit…nice and light, slim and stiff too…looking forward to using it.
Phone Leigh Tackle and Bait to see what puller bungs will fit the Venom section.

adriang

Site Supporter
16mm will get you a 1/3rd of the bung. I had less when I did my old Silstar.

Attachments

• IMG_7044.jpeg
    IMG_7044.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 3

derwentboy

Site Supporter
Thankyou lads…got it sorted now got a a drennan pulla bung to try in one kit and cut it down…what I didn’t realise was that you could cut the tube down as well…..so finally figured it out! Couldn’t wait to try it out so have just got back from the canal…Pulla helped getting a nice tench in from the LLpool . Liking the old Tricast XRS Venom I picked up….seems as strong as an ox