Sick Days

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for his Village!
Worst would have to be..." I had my gender reassignment surgery moved forward, so i need the day off" - well you've gotta follow thru pretty sharpish on that one!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Chap I know phoned his boss he wasn't coming in as he wasn't well... boss saw him in the crowd at the Crucible watching the world snooker final

nejohn

Site Supporter
We got Ridley’s when I worked at the ROF at birtley. 10 a year I think. Some took 1/2 a Ridley on a Friday to go on the drink every day shift or nearly every day shift. Basically 10 extra holidays for the pee takers
When did you work at Birtley?
I was there from 1986-97, worked in the dev, shot shop and toolroom

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I was always first in the office in a role many years ago, so I got any sick calls before 8.30 when the receptionist got in. I remember one of the warehouse lads phoning in sick about 8am. As he was telling me about his ailment i heard his mate shout in the background "c'mon we are ready to tee off'.
Similar to a guy I worked with years ago. Phoned in sick & then was shown on telly in all his glory at Chester Races. Unfortunately the boss saw it too :LOL:

roachy

When I started with my current company some 35 years ago they were still government owned and a lot of the working practices were at best lax. I was told I would get 25 days holiday plus 7 'ridly days' when I asked what these were I was told these are days when you are sick but don't need a doctors note (this was before self certification), I thought that is nice if I don't feel up to it one day I can always phone in and take a 'ridly'. I had been there several months and it was coming up to the end of the leave year, I got a letter from personnel dept saying that they had noted I had not taken my sick days and as there was only 3 weeks of the leave year left could I let them know when I was going to use them !!!
We have the same here in Hong Kong, or a version of it.
We get 2 days per month for the first 12 months of the contract and then 4 days per month after that as mandated by the labour department.
I have sixty something days accrued so far, seems such a weird rule to me.

62tucker

Site Supporter
When did you work at Birtley?
I was there from 1986-97, worked in the dev, shot shop and toolroom
I was a apprentice toolmaker from 16 for4 years. so guess was there 1979 to 1983
When I came out of my apprenticeship there was no jobs as unemployment was high. Caterpillar had just shut and any jobs that came up all the lads with experience got them. I just couldn’t get a job in the work I had been trained in. I had a baby to feed so ended up on building sites for 8/9 years till I got a job at Nissan in 1992 till I retired in 2018 aged 55.
The ROF only kept 1 apprentice on out of my intake.
The trouble with my toolmaker apprenticeship was we done 1 to 2 months on each section so knew a lot of different things but not experts on 1 jobs. So when went for a job say on a CNC machine all I could say was 2 months experience while other from say caterpillar had years experience.
They were the days. I fished for the Rof on the Trent when the apprenticeship had a yearly sports day sort of thing.
Also they had bus trips to down Yorkshire , skipton bourghbridge or up the borders etc. Ford. Horncliff Lock Maben etc

nejohn

Site Supporter
I was a apprentice toolmaker from 16 for4 years. so guess was there 1979 to 1983
When I came out of my apprenticeship there was no jobs as unemployment was high. Caterpillar had just shut and any jobs that came up all the lads with experience got them. I just couldn’t get a job in the work I had been trained in. I had a baby to feed so ended up on building sites for 8/9 years till I got a job at Nissan in 1992 till I retired in 2018 aged 55.
The ROF only kept 1 apprentice on out of my intake.
The trouble with my toolmaker apprenticeship was we done 1 to 2 months on each section so knew a lot of different things but not experts on 1 jobs. So when went for a job say on a CNC machine all I could say was 2 months experience while other from say caterpillar had years experience.
They were the days. I fished for the Rof on the Trent when the apprenticeship had a yearly sports day sort of thing.
Also they had bus trips to down Yorkshire , skipton bourghbridge or up the borders etc. Ford. Horncliff Lock Maben etc
I started just before Christmas in 1986 on a 6 month contract I had no intention of staying but the pay was OK and it would get me over the Xmas period 35 years later I am still here!
Ironically they were short of toolmakers (they made them all redundant) hence why I got a job, was soon moved to quality as a Mech E, ended my days at birtley back in the toolroom as apprentice master. Moved to the firing range at Ridsdale in 97 then down to Glascoed in 2010 when all of the design and engineering was moved.
The bus trips were still going until I left birtley in 97 though not many people from the factory were on the bus, I did quite a few and enjoyed lots of days fishing the ROF pond behind caterpillar.
You must have started at Nissan about the same time as my brother

62tucker

Site Supporter
I started just before Christmas in 1986 on a 6 month contract I had no intention of staying but the pay was OK and it would get me over the Xmas period 35 years later I am still here!
Ironically they were short of toolmakers (they made them all redundant) hence why I got a job, was soon moved to quality as a Mech E, ended my days at birtley back in the toolroom as apprentice master. Moved to the firing range at Ridsdale in 97 then down to Glascoed in 2010 when all of the design and engineering was moved.
The bus trips were still going until I left birtley in 97 though not many people from the factory were on the bus, I did quite a few and enjoyed lots of days fishing the ROF pond behind caterpillar.
You must have started at Nissan about the same time as my brother
Funny as I had a walk around the Rof pond early this year. Not been there for 30 years. Still a few kids fishing it.
I started Nissan for the start of the micra in 92. In Trim working on the door line. Done 24 years on doors till wrists and elbows could take no more. 2 carpal tunnel ops then got moved to inspection and left when on sick following elbow repair operation.
Still got mates there who say it’s worse than ever. Having to wear a mask and glasses in red hot conditions and they cutting corners all over to try to save money. Been told 20% reductions in cost needed 🤷‍♂️. Say that every year.
Actually got a text yesterday on what’s app group
Welcome to HMS Nissan.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
When I started at the pit we got a 5day bonus. Work 5 days, get paid for 6. If you had a day off you lost 2 days pay. It worked well.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Wonder how long its gonna be that a kid wanting a school day off, just starts coughing ?
My nephew has just started back to school and there are posters up saying that anyone caught faking cv19 symptoms will be permanently excluded

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
How did the fishing go yesterday at Patshull Park @Zerkalo?

Wasn't bad in that I had a nice day back out there with my dad but it's not fishing too good at the moment. I wrote a report in the Where You Fished Today section. :) (y)

I love my job though, today as an example, I had 5 jobs booked in so a busy day, then one called this morning and said it was cancelled so I get an extra lie in till midday and still do 4 jobs later in the day. Had another agent asking if I'm working tomorrow to which I said no as I'm going fishing again!

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
When I started at the pit we got a 5day bonus. Work 5 days, get paid for 6. If you had a day off you lost 2 days pay. It worked well.

I always thought that in the 60's to try and stop absenteeism, if you worked 5 shifts you got paid 6 and the unions stepped in and if you worked 4 you still got an extra shift so the absenteeism continued.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I always thought that in the 60's to try and stop absenteeism, if you worked 5 shifts you got paid 6 and the unions stepped in and if you worked 4 you still got an extra shift so the absenteeism continued.
I can't remember when it stopped mate but it was definitely in when I started in 1971.