Sick Days

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
In my experience the bigger the company the less likely you are of finding any compassion or understanding... the rules VILL BE HOBEYED... or BEFHEL IST BEFHEL...

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
When I started with my current company some 35 years ago they were still government owned and a lot of the working practices were at best lax. I was told I would get 25 days holiday plus 7 'ridly days' when I asked what these were I was told these are days when you are sick but don't need a doctors note (this was before self certification), I thought that is nice if I don't feel up to it one day I can always phone in and take a 'ridly'. I had been there several months and it was coming up to the end of the leave year, I got a letter from personnel dept saying that they had noted I had not taken my sick days and as there was only 3 weeks of the leave year left could I let them know when I was going to use them !!!
My Brother in law worked for fords and he got pulled over by the union for not going sick as it made the rest of them look bad... and folks wonder why Thatcher hated unions🤣🤣🤣

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Makes me glad I’ve always worked for myself. I’ve treat everyone that’s ever worked for me well and they have treat me well. I’ve been the one to have sent guys home because they didn’t look well. Never had an issue with lads having days off. Depends how you treat your workforce I guess. I’ve had some cracking lads working for me.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I knew a lad once, a known malingerer, who phoned up with Grout

He'd overheard someone else who'd had time off with Gout so decided that was his next ailment.

At the end of the phone call he had one hour to get into work :D

rudd

Site Supporter
Ok the admission.
Many years ago returned from Cornwall - two.weeks in a heatwave and decent clean waves to body board - rare for Cornwall in the summer.
Returned to work Monday, stiched up by a manager and told was getting a written warning.
A quick bit of investigation found another manager had mucked up and passed on the blame to myself.
I went apeshit and was sent home. On the way I walked into my GP's in an angry state.
Fortunately my GP was free, saw me, diagnosis stress and signed me off for two weeks and wrote a note to wife that for two.weeks I needed relaxation / peace and quiet by the fishing lake 😁 I am serious.
Drove back to office handed two week sick note to manager with a big f u smile 😁.

The company appointed an independent doctor to varify my GP diagnosis!
I refused to see him at his office fifty miles away as to stressful and made him see me at 17:30 on the last Friday of my sick note.
He diagnosed me with stress and said that would be reported back to company.
As he was leaving I pointed out my sick note had run out and trying to get a GP appointment would be stressfull, he agreed and signed me off for two weeks. 😄😆😅😂😂😂😂

62tucker

Site Supporter
When I started with my current company some 35 years ago they were still government owned and a lot of the working practices were at best lax. I was told I would get 25 days holiday plus 7 'ridly days' when I asked what these were I was told these are days when you are sick but don't need a doctors note (this was before self certification), I thought that is nice if I don't feel up to it one day I can always phone in and take a 'ridly'. I had been there several months and it was coming up to the end of the leave year, I got a letter from personnel dept saying that they had noted I had not taken my sick days and as there was only 3 weeks of the leave year left could I let them know when I was going to use them !!!
We got Ridley’s when I worked at the ROF at birtley. 10 a year I think. Some took 1/2 a Ridley on a Friday to go on the drink every day shift or nearly every day shift. Basically 10 extra holidays for the pee takers

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
'phoning in sick 1
It always amused me when, "Harry won't be in to- day as he's not well but he'll be back the day after".
Translation.
Harry wants a day of but he's used up all of his annual leave days.
'phoning in sick 2
A lad in a different department 'phoned in sick from his holiday in Ibiza.
And he bloodywell got away with it!

Silver fan 82

Ok the admission.
Many years ago returned from Cornwall - two.weeks in a heatwave and decent clean waves to body board - rare for Cornwall in the summer.
Returned to work Monday, stiched up by a manager and told was getting a written warning.
A quick bit of investigation found another manager had mucked up and passed on the blame to myself.
I went apeshit and was sent home. On the way I walked into my GP's in an angry state.
Fortunately my GP was free, saw me, diagnosis stress and signed me off for two weeks and wrote a note to wife that for two.weeks I needed relaxation / peace and quiet by the fishing lake 😁 I am serious.
Drove back to office handed two week sick note to manager with a big f u smile 😁.

The company appointed an independent doctor to varify my GP diagnosis!
I refused to see him at his office fifty miles away as to stressful and made him see me at 17:30 on the last Friday of my sick note.
He diagnosed me with stress and said that would be reported back to company.
As he was leaving I pointed out my sick note had run out and trying to get a GP appointment would be stressfull, he agreed and signed me off for two weeks. 😄😆😅😂😂😂😂
What's your Dr's phone number?? 😉

Silver fan 82

The trouble with mental health adverts are correct.
I had stress and that was that, admitting it was a hard pill to swallow - think they were green ones!
But alot of the time stress and mental health often get overlooked in the workplace.?

rudd

Site Supporter
But alot of the time stress and mental health often get overlooked in the workplace.?
Yes, the person does not know they have a problem, their peers do not speak up, neither do the managers - TBH they choose to ignore as they do not see it as their problem OR are scared they may be a cause.

Silver fan 82

Yes, the person does not know they have a problem, their peers do not speak up, neither do the managers - TBH they choose to ignore as they do not see it as their problem OR are scared they may be a cause.
I've seen it a few times at work. You hear that someone has been signed off with stress and most people's reaction is the same "Pff! Stress?!" you know as if that person has nothing to be stressed about?

rudd

Site Supporter
I've seen it a few times at work. You hear that someone has been signed off with stress and most people's reaction is the same "Pff! Stress?!" you know as if that person has nothing to be stressed about?
The majority of colleagues in an office lead totally separate lives/personas, you have no clue as to factors in their life away from work. I hate any work social events and distance myself from colleagues, I work to support my family and buy maggots! Doubt my current work mates would notice if I was stressed.

Silver fan 82

The majority of colleagues in an office lead totally separate lives/personas, you have no clue as to factors in their life away from work. I hate any work social events and distance myself from colleagues, I work to support my family and buy maggots! Doubt my current work mates would notice if I was stressed.
Same mate, don't really do work dos. I kinda keep work and free time seperate.

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
I was always first in the office in a role many years ago, so I got any sick calls before 8.30 when the receptionist got in. I remember one of the warehouse lads phoning in sick about 8am. As he was telling me about his ailment i heard his mate shout in the background "c'mon we are ready to tee off'.

carphauler

Roachhauler
Meant to be going fishing with my dad tomorrow. Got a job that can’t be moved. What’s the worst/best excuse you’ve used to have a sick day?
Where you off to? I might get out this weekend, Saturdays off as I've got to fix the car so it'll be Sunday weather permitting.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Where you off to? I might get out this weekend, Saturdays off as I've got to fix the car so it'll be Sunday weather permitting.
Patshull Park. My dad went to get the worms, maggots, and groundbait today! Excited to say the least! You going to the Severn?

carphauler

Roachhauler
Patshull Park. My dad went to get the worms, maggots, and groundbait today! Excited to say the least! You going to the Severn?
Yes, probably Hampton loade, I'll decide on a plan Saturday night, while quaffing a few beers.

muskrat

STAY ALERT
Site Supporter
Back in my teen days I phoned in sick to the warehouse where I was working. But none of the managers were available so I spoke to an ordinary grunt instead. I told him I was feeling really rough and wouldn't be in today. He said "What shall I say is wrong with you?" I replied that I just felt rough. But that wasn't good enough for him. He wanted a better reason. "Tell them my left leg dropped off" I replied in frustration. That was exactly what he wrote in the shift handover log! :ROFLMAO:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Wonder how long its gonna be that a kid wanting a school day off, just starts coughing ?