Sick Days

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Meant to be going fishing with my dad tomorrow. Got a job that can’t be moved. What’s the worst/best excuse you’ve used to have a sick day?

rudd

Site Supporter
Having been in management heard it all, always made me laugh with the sick voice they put on - I have an upset tummy in a voice as if they have just smoked a packet of twenty 😅.
As a manager you know your staff and know when being lied to, systems such as Bradford point's also catch out serial sick heads who take off second Mondays every three weeks etc to cover whatever they are doing.

Taking sick days when not ill is fraud - simple as that.
Would you steal a days wages in cash from your employer? 😟
There is no difference when you take a view from a different angle is there?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
when I worked for Sainsburys managers didnt get overtime... we got time off in lieu... lost count of the times I got told I couldn't have my lieu day because we were busy... I also lost count of the times I had to cover my boss because he couldn't get his arse out of bed to open the store so I had to do it on my day off and cover till the duty manager came in... like I said... cuts both ways

rudd

Site Supporter
That said there are plenty of times when you get screwed over by the management... what goes round comes around
In this day and age of HR etc. there are ways of dealing with bad management that do not involve fraudulent activity.

rudd

Site Supporter
when I worked for Sainsburys managers didnt get overtime... we got time off in lieu... lost count of the times I got told I couldn't have my lieu day because we were busy... I also lost count of the times I had to cover my boss because he couldn't get his arse out of bed to open the store so I had to do it on my day off and cover till the duty manager came in... like I said... cuts both ways
I logged evey hour over contract (also not paid) in last management job.
Every now and then booked a half day off in lieu with evidence attached.
As on road and spending whole weeks away my boss would also tell me to go home some days.
I am flexible with staff and their requirements (need half a day no holiday left or an appointment etc or even a home delivery) and make it clear if you take the pee out of me...... but if honest😉
Management is exactly in its title 😀

Arry

Site Supporter
Some do it well others take the pee... as do some workers... like I said what goes around comes around...

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm self employed so the only downside is I let the letting agent down and they go to someone else.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
That said there are plenty of times when you get screwed over by the management... what goes round comes around
Can’t say I have been screwed over “plenty of times”, I’m left to my own devices and have always had a good relationship with my bosses, I wouldn’t stay in a job long if I thought someone was trying to screw me over.

I have never taken a sick day without a Drs note and haven’t had many of those apart from broken bones.......

nejohn

Site Supporter
When I started with my current company some 35 years ago they were still government owned and a lot of the working practices were at best lax. I was told I would get 25 days holiday plus 7 'ridly days' when I asked what these were I was told these are days when you are sick but don't need a doctors note (this was before self certification), I thought that is nice if I don't feel up to it one day I can always phone in and take a 'ridly'. I had been there several months and it was coming up to the end of the leave year, I got a letter from personnel dept saying that they had noted I had not taken my sick days and as there was only 3 weeks of the leave year left could I let them know when I was going to use them !!!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've worked in a mix of offices, some more strict than others. Hated the strict ones because it meant constant meetings with line manager and HR whenever I pulled a few sickies, sometimes genuinely, and my work was always heavily audited there too. 1 minute late and you'd be reprimanded. Other places I worked we'd check in then just work a minute over if we were late.

Problem solved for tomorrow though, I'm doing the job today! :D

Arry

Site Supporter
we had a bloke at work who contracted testicular cancer and he was off sick for months with ops and Chemo... when he came back he got a written warning for excessive sick time ... fair play to the lad he told our HR boss to shove it up his arris... bloke couldn't get that he was being a twonk obeying the letter of the company rules when compassion and understanding would have kept everything cushti

Arry

Site Supporter
my bosses got snotty with me in the run up to my retirement... I had compressed discs in my back, the pain was so bad I couldn't bend to put on my socks... 3 operations and all done on the company health care so all traceable and confirmed and they still wanted to give me a written warning while I was on my notice for retirement... some bosses take the rules to heart and don't think about extenuating circumstances

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never pulled proper sickie I’d feel guilty as hell! Been tempted at times in my old job when at times it took the Mick but didn’t have the nerve/couldn’t bring myself to lie.

In my old job I would take sick days when I probably could have forced myself to go in as I was payed for them and could do a fair chunk of my work from home anyway so didn’t see much point going in feeling rough when I could almost work home anyway. In my current job though I don’t get paid if I’m off sick and even if I did I can’t really work from home so the only sick days I’ve taken were a couple when I possibly had this virus as I was floored then! Does motivate you to go in when the alternative is not being paid but it does mean people come in to work in no fit state at times lol

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
HR departments are usually full of women and after working in ‘some’ offices I became convinced that Freud’s misogynistic theories about them having a deficient super-ego were true! Had similar lack of compassion from them for family bereavements which was the final straw at the last place I worked. Now luckily the only offices I have to deal with are to book in jobs, invoice and go in to pick up keys and I love it.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
If we were 5 minutes late we got stopped 15 minutes money... no problem we didn't start till 15 mins was up... the bosses soon rescinded that little rule
I used to do that, my reasoning as well was, I am marked down as arriving at 8.45am,
If I had started work at 8.35am and had an injury, it could be claimed by the firm that I should not have been working until 8.45am.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
When I started with my current company some 35 years ago they were still government owned and a lot of the working practices were at best lax. I was told I would get 25 days holiday plus 7 'ridly days' when I asked what these were I was told these are days when you are sick but don't need a doctors note (this was before self certification), I thought that is nice if I don't feel up to it one day I can always phone in and take a 'ridly'. I had been there several months and it was coming up to the end of the leave year, I got a letter from personnel dept saying that they had noted I had not taken my sick days and as there was only 3 weeks of the leave year left could I let them know when I was going to use them !!!
Only 5,? We got 10 at dept of environment,
I used them as extra days off in the summer,
Some lads got reprimanded for taking 8 of the 10, they were taking odd days here and there.
I would phone in on a monday and go in the following monday, A week counted as one absence. Then had a couple of odd days off later on.
Same with the post office.